It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User
Pain Meds-Calcaneal Osteotomy

I had a calcaneal osteotomy, modified brostrom procedure, and gastroc slide. I'm 4 weeks post op and still have a fair amount of pain, both shooting and aching. Just wondering how long others that have had the calceaneal osteotomy experience took their pain killers. I have Norco (10 mg hydrocodone/325 mg acetaminophen) and have been taking one dose of 2 pills each day (I was on Oxy and have moved down. I also take Norco for ongoing knee problems). Really makes everything more comfortable. I'm not working so I am able to elevate my leg above my heart most of the day.

A few questions:

1. Should I worry about being hooked on the pain killers?
2. How much should I elevate?
3. My toes still turn dark purple and my whole legs aches when I'm moving around on crutches. How long will this last?
4. Should I try to be more active or just keep leg elevated and heal?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: Pain Meds-Calcaneal Osteotomy

Pain is such an individual thing with this surgerey. You need to continue to take your pain meds if you are having pain. Do not try to tough it out just because you are 4 weeks out. Your foot is still in the healing process so pain is to be expected. I know for myself I was 3 weeks in and still taking round the clock meds to keep me comfortable. Most if it was to soothe the nerve pain that got really bad at a point.

I am 7 weeks out now and don't take the pain meds round the clock. I take it as needed if my foot hurts. I don't really have pain per se but soreness from the surgerey and trying to walk.

You really need to keep your foot elevated all the time unless you are up hopping around or on the commode. I elevated all the time and still do now in addition to icing as well. It will get better but stay on top of your present needs. Wish you the best in your recoverey process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

eann65 HB Usereann65 HB Usereann65 HB User

I am 7 weeks post op from calcaneal osteotomy, metatarsal fusion, and ptt and spring ligament repair. Even at 4 weeks for me, my foot would still go numb and discolor when I was up on my crutches. Even now at 7 weeks I can have it down for about 1 hour before it's uncomfortable and it still gets discolored. I would keep it elevated at much as you can. As far as the pain med goes, that is not much what you are taking and if you are having real pain you should take the medicine. The problem comes when people are no longer having pain and are still taking the meds. Don't push it, rest as much as you can. I just started being able to partial wt. bear (10% of my weight). It's very strange, my foot is numb at parts and still gets discolored, but it's great to have the cast off and be in a boot. Hang in there and good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
(female)

Velvetrain, how's your weight bearing going? Are you doing PT? I am able to put just 10% wt down now but it's made a huge difference just being able to balance with the crutches and get out of the house. I'm not doing PT yet, just trying to move my ankle around a little bit..hopefully I'll start next week. My osteotomy site was fused but my metatarsal fusion has a little ways to go before I can put more wt. down. I have one area from my big toe down my foot about 3 inches that is numb..hopefully that will get better. Do you have any numbness? Hope things are going well for you!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
(female)

also, are you wearing any kind of a brace yet?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Honestly still trying to get used to my foot being on the ground as I don't like the sensation I get. Still alot if swelling and numbness under my foot which I hate. I am still pwb but it's hard to walk in this boot because it's built so high in the sole so I have a hard time distributing the weight like I want too. More weight is on the outside border of the foot. I really want to wear my old walker boot but haven't asked the doctor if I could. Walking tires me out in this boot. That is great they are letting you put some weight through it. It's nice to have an upgrade after all that immobility in a cast.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Thanks for the feedback. The doctors office made it sound like I should be moving around fine and not need to any pain meds. Last night turned out to be the worst in a few weeks. I ended up taking a valium at 1030 but it didn't do anything. Took a 5 mg Oxy IR at 1220 and it worked really well until 340 when I woke up miserable again. Took another pill but tossed and turned until 6 when I decided to take a 10 mg Oxy extended release. Slept for a few hours and have been okay so far today.

Really worried about getting hooked on the pills so I'm trying not to take them. Perhaps I should alternate 1 day on Oxy and then 1 day on Norco (if I'm having pain)?

This procedure has been absolutely miserable for me. I didn't know what I was getting into. I had the surgery at an outpatient surgical center on a Monday morning and ended up back in the hospital the following Wednesday morning because we couldn't control the pain. I was there until Sunday when they released me.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Lurchy24
adbow (04-20-2011), velvetrain (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Wow dear I am so sorry you are having a rough time. As cliche as this sounds I know what you are going through. Plenty of days I felt as if I made a mistake having this surgerey. What kind of pain are you having? If it's sharp shooting/tingling like pains that is the nerve causing that because it was irritated during the surgerey. It will get better. Sounds like your MD may need to reassess the effectiveness of your pain meds at your prescribed doses.

I was taking a percoset at night because I hurt so bad. I figured if I was hurting at least the med would put me to sleep to get some rest. Hard to rest and recover when you are having so much pain. You will get some relief soon even though it's rough right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
Lurchy24 (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
(male)

Thanks Velvetrain.

My pain varies. Sometimes the bottom my foot and toes are on fire, others I get a shooting pain down the bone of leg, I get the burning sensation on the back of my heel where the surgical sight is, and I've recently developed pain in my achilles. The worst is definitely the shooting nerve pain. Only lasts 10 to 20 seconds but it buckles me over.

Not sure if I posted it earlier but I had the calcaneal osteotomy, modified brostrom procedure, and a gastroc slide.

I stopped taking round-the-clock meds after 2 weeks. I've pretty much cut it down to 2 norco or 1 oxy each day. At what point did you start having days without meds? Any idea what most people were able to do?

It's good to know that my toes turning purple and leg aching when I'm up is still normal at this point. Nice to allay my concerns.

Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User

I'm eight weeks post Kidner Procedure, Calcaneal Osteotomy, Cotton Osteotomy, and Gastroc Recession. I'm currently in a boot and learning to walk again. I am still on pain meds almost daily. During the first two weeks I was taking Oxycotin 10 mg every twelve hours and then Norco 7.5 mg every four hours as needed. From week three to week seven I was on just the Norco as needed. I called the doctors office last week to see if there was a pain med that I could take that wasn't a narcotic. He doesn't want me to take any anti-imflammatory such as Ibuprofen because it can slow down the healing of the bones. He perscribed me Ultram which I take about three times a day at this point. I wouldn't worry about taking too much pain meds at this point. I'm a month out from you and still have considerable pain as I'm learning to walk again. I still have to take a Norco occassionally but have been told that its normal and will most likely continue for awhile.

Hang in there! Things will get better for you!

Last edited by april1985; 04-20-2011 at 04:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to april1985 For This Useful Post:
Lurchy24 (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

By the third week going into the fourth my pain had subsided to the point I would pop a pill as needed. Oddly enough I have had no real pain with walking. Just hard to walk period as my foot has such poor motion and strength. I will hold on to my existing pain meds but have no real use for them at this point.

My nerve pain got really bad one day I just wanted to be taken away for good. The positive side is that the nerve is waking up and regenerating. See if they want to write you a script for neurotin to help with the nerve pain. All they can say is no.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
(male)

Any idea it is possible to elevate too much? Not sure if I stated it earlier but I'm not working and can keep my leg elevated most of the day. Just wondering if there is any benefit to putting it down for a bit each day.

Couldn't sleep again last night (shooting pain) and ended up taking another oxy 12 hour and a valium. Was fine most of today until about 3 when burning in heel started as well as shooting pains. Ended up taking a couple Norco. There really isn't a method to the pain, so random.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
(female)

I was told prior to surgery to elevate your foot 90% to 95% of the day for the first 6 to 8 weeks. I did just that and have been having excellent results. I'm amazed that I am almost walking completely independent except for the boot at nearly 9 weeks post surgery. I do believe that alot of my good outcomes in recovery is because I kept the swelling down by elevating. To this day even with learning to walk again I am not having trouble with swelling. I would def recommend continuing to keep your foot up as often as possible.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
(male)

That's great to know. I will keep it elevated above my heart as much as possible then. I need to fly to two interviews in the second half of May and can only do so if the swelling is under control. I get my cast off May 10 so I'm optimistic.

How long has it been since you had your cast removed? Are you able to function normally as far as walking and going to work now?

Thanks again for the info!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
(female)

I got my cast off at the six week mark which was on April 4th. While I don't think I'm functioning normally, I'm feeling more independent by the day. I still can't drive yet but hopefully that will change next week. I am scheduled to return back to work on Thursday. I work at a residential treatment center with mostly 8 to 10 year olds on my unit who have behavioral and mental health issues. Therefore I will be having some restriction like having to be seated 75% of the time and unable to do physical restraints. Sort of nervous about going back as its a very demanding job at times but I am so ready to go back! My hope is that the swelling remains good even with going back to work eight hours a day.

Closed Thread