It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
(male)

overthewindow HB User
Exclamation Fall 2 weeks after talus microfracture

I'm concerned that I have caused some damage due to a fall after my ankle surgery.

It has been 2 weeks and I just got a hard cast today. I slipped going down the stairs and landed hard on my heel. There is a bit of pain, but I'm worried that I've messed up the microfracture.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to overthewindow For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (09-30-2012)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Fall 2 weeks after talus microfracture

I did not have your surgery procedures but I had flatfoot reconstruction surgery. When I was in the hard cast I also fell (twice!). I called my doctor and he had me come in both times for x-rays as a precaution. Everything was ok. He told me that the hard cast really protects the foot and it is really hard to do damage. I am sure everything is ok but I would call the doctor and let them know what happened. He/she may want you to come in as a precaution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I fell the day of my ligament repair surgery while going up the stairs when we got home from the hospital, while in the huge after-surgery splint. No damage done. In general, it seems that they wrap you up well enough that you would have a hard time damaging anything by just falling. If you still have significantly increased pain, call the doctor.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

BonnieR HB User

I had peroneal tendon repair on May 10th, and have fallen the last two days in a row. The first time was in the bathroom and although I put pressure down on my foot, the pain afterwards was farely unchanged. However, yesterday when I fell (my knee scooter tipped over when I was taking me knee off of it) I felt 3 destinct pops, like sutures snapping. I've had a lot of pain since that time. I was up most the night. I am really hoping that when I follow up with the surgeon tomorrow that she will find that I simply dehisced the incision. I know it's sad to hope for that, but I think it is better than the alternative of having damaged the tendon repair. My surgeon was so proud of the job she had done with the repair, so I'm sure that tomorrow will not be a pleasent visit.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Wow I am sorry. I was afraid of a possible fall so I went up and down the stairs on my rear end. I was not willing to compromise anything going wrong with my foot after the surgerey plus I am a klutz on crutches. Hope everything is okay in your case.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Over,

Just wanted to hop in here as a fellow OCD'er and one who had talus micro fracture as well.

I assume at the time you fell you had that half plaster splint on which helped support your foot. If you are not experiencing a tremendous increase in pain don't worry about it. I too took a few almost falls where you instinctively put your bad foot down to catch yourself both after micro fracture as well as the OATS I had 10 months after the drilling. All was ok.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!

Kim.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
(female)

BonnieR HB User

Went in for my 2nd post op appt. I called this morning and asked that the doctor be warned that I had fallen twice in the last week, with the most recent fall causing a large increase in pain and the feeling I had of 3 distinct popping/tearing during the fall. Went in the afternoon. They did 3 view xrays, which were normal. After removing the dressing we found no increase in bruising from last weeks visit and there was no obvious increase in swelling. I was surprised by this. My pain is still worse than before the fall, but better than the night following the fall. Dr. says that there is no point in doing any other imaging because with the recent surgery, swelling and fluid she won't be able to see anything. They wouldn't go back in to see what was injured. Immediate treatment for an acute injury would be immobilization, rest, ice, elevation. Since I'm non weight bearing for another 6 weeks she seems to have that whatever the popping was it will have the opportunity to heal. All of my "new" pain is actually low behind my leg, and does not run the length of the tendon, so I'm not exactly sure what it is. I asked how close to the muscle my tear was and she said she actually had to resect at the muscle tendon because it was close. Asked if it could have been the tendon ripping from the muscle. She didn't really have an answer for me other than, can't see anything on imaging so no purpose for it and because of the nonweight bearing it will likely heal. It's still bothersome to me, but she relieved some of my anxiety. I pray it all heals nicely. The sutures were removed today, and the incision site looks good. I can now remove the splint for showering, and a week from today I can remove it for gentle range of motion. She would normally start that now, but wants me to hold another week because of the fall. That's the deal for me, good wishes to all of you and recovery.

Closed Thread