It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

SingSadia HB User
Life after a triple fusion (arthrodesis) in foot

Hi I have just had a triple Arthrodesis fusion in my right foot. My ankle moves and my toes move but the body of the foot is now fused! 4 s/s screws inserted 25 Feb 2011. I am now on one crutch but find that the foot aches plenty (especially at night when its difficult to get comfortable no matter what I do) now that I am putting some weight on it. I have to take pain meds.
Anyone who has had a trip athro - can you please share your experience ? how long were you on the pain meds ? apart from an icepack what else can I do to help it when it aches? Thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User
Re: Life after a triple fusion ( arthrodesis) in foot

I had a triple fusion last year and the one thing I would suggest to anyone going through foot surgery is......don't push it. Listen to your foot. If it hurts then you must stop and rest. After the surgeon told me I could partially weight bear, (as tolerated) it took me another 3 weeks to be brave enough to try. I think everyone is different and no-one can tell you when you're ready. Only you know. Take it easy and take your time. It really does get better every day and your confidence will grow. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

canuck46 HB User
Smile Re: Life after a triple fusion ( arthrodesis) in foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;4736204
Hi I have just had a triple Arthrodesis fusion in my right foot. My ankle moves and my toes move but the body of the foot is now fused! 4 s/s screws inserted 25 Feb 2011. I am now on one crutch but find that the foot aches plenty (especially at night when its difficult to get comfortable no matter what I do) now that I am putting some weight on it. I have to take pain meds.
Anyone who has had a trip athro - can you please share your experience ? how long were you on the pain meds ? apart from an icepack what else can I do to help it when it aches? Thanks
I can't believe I had my triple March 2009. I remember the pain and discomfort with sleeping. I had to wear my boot at night as my Dr. was extremely cautious with allowing the fusion to completely heal, before allowing me to do a lot of things. I do know I always elevated my foot at night (and every time I could during the day as well) and icing helped as well. I was off pain meds very quickly, but that was of my own doing and I switched to advil extra strength to get me past the pain. Some of my pain was from swelling so I was very careful with sodium intake and also wrapped my foot with an ace bandage for a couple of hours on the bad swelling days. I can only tell you that each day will get a little better, so hang in there. I am so glad I had the surgery - I am now pain free, am back at the gym feeling steadier then I have in a long time and can finally wear heels again (not over 2-21/2"). My foot has gone back to my original shoe size too! Good luck and remember as everyone tells you as well as your Dr. it takes a year for everything to feel normal again!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 11-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
(male)

gianni27 HB User

Hi Sadia, I also had a triple arthrodesis on Feb, 25, 2011. I've been trying to walk without crutches for the last three weeks and find I can only for very short periods of time. I have another three weeks with the hard cast and hopeful the swelling will be more bearable once I'm cast free. Most days I take 3 to 4 hydrocodons a day and seem to think I will be stopping the med completely once this cast is off . Have you been told or does anyone know once the hard cast is off do you get the removable boot? Also what about physical therapy? So far I'm hearing not everyone needs it which I find hard to believe if you have any kind of active life.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

I had P.T. but had to ask for it. It did help me for the short period I had it. I know it's all different here in the U.K. but if you can get P.T. I would, even if it's only to help you build your confidence. The worst thing of all for me was losing my confidence in certain situations. Even now, 7 months later, I have to push myself to try new situations. Good luck to all you T.A. people.

The Following User Says Thank You to cloud1959 For This Useful Post:
gianni27 (05-05-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

lindalillian HB User

[SIZE="3"]Hi,

It's good to hear from people currently having TA's. I had it done April 19th. I'm on my third cast and this one is called a walking cast. It has a rocker bottom. I wear a slipper over it for walking which keeps it from being slippery and is cleaner when in bed.

I have not had pain issues. I did take Vicoden the first few weeks and then take Tylenol regularly. Maybe this has kept me from pain.

I find that I can put full wt on foot but am dependent on walker for balance. The ht. is different from one foot to the other. There is some heel discomfort but not real pain.

I do have a problem with my foot feeling numb...worse in evening....and worse when foot on floor but numb also when elevated. I am told that this is result of nerves being moved around in surgery. M y foot was deformed as well as fallen arch....turned outward.,

I think my next step is a boot to use as needed and then....a brace for inside the shoe if needed.

Good luck to you who are in same boat. If we need this surgery...we are lucky to be able to have it.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
(female)

SingSadia HB User

Hi Sorry, I have not been back here for a while. I had no hard cast, just a bandage for about 10 days, then was given the velcro/foam, casing boot to wear. Went partial weight bearing on one crutch, then fully weight bearing and the boot was a god send. So was the walking stick for balance. Came off the pain meds after 3 months ( they made a lot of my thick hair fall out, so I'm glad I did not stay on them too long..!) My foot is about 80% back to normal. Cant push off on that foot, cant stand on my toes on that foot, all contributes to a slight limp. Physio does not seem to help too much, but I was lucky to have a guy who did some weekly accupunture on the leg, loosened up some of the ligaments etc just above the ankle... really helped. But he left the country recently so no more accupunture. He did say, one of the most useful exercises you can do is to to push up on your toes ( both feet) and keep doing it, a few seconds at a time.... will strengthen the foot, and eventually should be able to stand on your toes for a second or two only on the bad foot ( no, I cant lift off on that foot alone yet). Need to loose a lot more weight first I expect.
I never walk barefoot, we have stone floors here in the tropics and I am always in CROCS flipflops or similar, even have a pair for use in the shower. Workwear is usually Sketchers or Clarkes with socks, keeping the foot warm and at a consistent temperature seems to ease the stiffness .... and I find a slight heel of about 1 inch is perfect for comfort, more so than flats. Am trying out the Sketchers "shapeups " at the mo, but the jury is still out on them. Sketchers do make comfy and light shoes though.
Hope this helps, overall my recovery has been good, but I never expected it to be perfect after the TA. Am on the right side of 50 but not by much, so need to keep my expectations realistic. Hope your journey is getting easier. Let me know how you get on. Take care.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
(female)

SingSadia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalillian View Post
[SIZE="3"]Hi,

It's good to hear from people currently having TA's. I had it done April 19th. I'm on my third cast and this one is called a walking cast. It has a rocker bottom. I wear a slipper over it for walking which keeps it from being slippery and is cleaner when in bed.

I have not had pain issues. I did take Vicoden the first few weeks and then take Tylenol regularly. Maybe this has kept me from pain.

I find that I can put full wt on foot but am dependent on walker for balance. The ht. is different from one foot to the other. There is some heel discomfort but not real pain.

I do have a problem with my foot feeling numb...worse in evening....and worse when foot on floor but numb also when elevated. I am told that this is result of nerves being moved around in surgery. M y foot was deformed as well as fallen arch....turned outward.,

I think my next step is a boot to use as needed and then....a brace for inside the shoe if needed.

Good luck to you who are in same boat. If we need this surgery...we are lucky to be able to have it.
Yup, I agree, forgot to add in the other post, that when I am at home, watching TV or on the computer , I always try to raise my foot.... that should become second nature ... really helps with the localized swelling after a hard day on your feet....
And yes, my two last toes are numb, tingly too, Doc said they may take up to a year to go back to normal... but does not seem to bother me much... one just has to look at the positives and try to get past the negs... easy to say I know but really its the best way. Like you say, we are lucky to have the surgery.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
(female)

lindalillian HB User

Hi[SIZE="4"]

I had third cast removed today and after 11 weeks.....the triple arthrodesis fusion is fully fused. I was sent home with my own sock and shoe.

Foot feels weird. I think heel is thicker so taller in surgical foot. Don't walk right as off balance. BUT I know in time it will be better.

Skin falling off big time. Will be great to have a shower tomorrow.

Looking forward to better and better each day.

Good luckto you too.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
(male)

Candog66 HB User

Hello. I had 2 surgeries to repair my calcaneus which I did a good job shattering in late 2005. This I suffered from a fall from a height of approx 20ft. Go easy on foot and do as the Doc says. If he says no weight bearing then no weight bearing. First surgery was to get it to a point that I was able to have the fusion. One big screw. If yours was from an impact injury like mine you may have life long foot problems ie: peripheral nerve damage and numbness to toes and parts of the feet as I experience. Pain is unfortunately always a constant from phantom needle pain to burning toes from added back injury that I also sustained as well as a total ACL and other ligaments in my knee. Your fusion to ankle will follow possibly with future arthritis in it. I still take some pain meds as needed and chronic naproxen user. Feet will tend to swell for no apparent reason other than walking. I was totally disabled on and off for approx. 3 hrs before finally obtaining a desk job. (thank god) but prior to that I had become depressed at times. Not being able to contribute and all. The wife really earned her wings and believed in the term "for better and worse" lol. Anyway if you have any questions I believe I may have some answers if you care to ask.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 11-10-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Quote removed.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
(female)

lindalillian HB User

Hi,

This is exciting.....people posting now....not just two years ago as most I 've been reading.

Today is 3rd day post-cast (which was an 11 week ordeal).

Most of scabs are off and most peeling dead skin is off. Foot looks like a foot but is swollen and off color around ankle...pink - purple.

I'm walking sometimes with walker or hobbling without it. Most problem in walking is due to surgical foot higher than other foot.

Good luck to you out there. I think it does get better each day.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
(female)

troublehap HB User

I broke my foot 3 years ago, they call it a lis franc fracture. I was non weight bearing for 6 months. After 2 surgies they put me in a walking boot for 6 weeks. Now three years later, we are talking about fusing the bones in my foot. They say it will take away the pain. I would just like to talk to others who have had this done. They say I will be non weight bearing again for another 3 months. I can bear that if it works. I would love to thank the one that put the list up for pre surgery instructions. I would agree with everything she said.
Thanks to all of you for helping me decide wheather or not I am going to have this done.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublehap View Post
I broke my foot 3 years ago, they call it a lis franc fracture. I was non weight bearing for 6 months. After 2 surgies they put me in a walking boot for 6 weeks. Now three years later, we are talking about fusing the bones in my foot. They say it will take away the pain. I would just like to talk to others who have had this done. They say I will be non weight bearing again for another 3 months. I can bear that if it works. I would love to thank the one that put the list up for pre surgery instructions. I would agree with everything she said.
Thanks to all of you for helping me decide wheather or not I am going to have this done.
I can't believe it is almost 3 years since I had my triple arthrodesis (march 2009). It has been very worthwhile. Yes the recuperation was long, cast, boot, non-weightbearing, partial weightbearing, kneeler, walker, crutches etc. but today I am virtually pain free and can walk for long periods of time. I have 5 screws in my foot and a very slight side-to-side motion. I can wear most shoes and even heels for short periods of time. I will say the total healing definitely takes 1 year. I sometimes get swelling when overdoing and I occasionaly get pain when weather changes, but nothing like it was! I would do this again for the results I have. Next I have to work on my knee!!! Best of luck to you and keep us posted. These boards were the best - being able to share with others was a lifesaver.

The Following User Says Thank You to canuck46 For This Useful Post:
troublehap (10-13-2011)
Closed Thread

Tags
foot problems, pain after ankle surgery