It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

BN21 HB User
Deciding between Joint Replacement and Fusion

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that some of you could help me make a decision regarding whether to have the joint replaced on my MPJ joint or going ahead and just getting it fused. I've read people have had problems with joint replacements and end up having to fuse it anyways. But, I'm only 32 years old and not sure if I want to have it fused or not. I injured it in college and didn't get the proper treatment for it and now a lot of my cartilage is gone. Of course causing significant amounts of pain. I'm planning on having it done this summer and I need to call the doctor to schedule a surgery date. Anyone that has an advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone knows about recovery time. How long will I be out of work? I'm on my feet a lot at my job. Thanks for taking the time.

Brooke

Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Talking Re: Deciding between Joint Replacement and Fusion

That is a tough call to make. I was faced with similar choices with my foot. Have the surgerey to replace the tendon or not do anything and end up having to face a fusion in portions of my foot because I choose to wait longer than I should. Personally I thought of my age (35) and felt I was too young for a fusion at this point in my life. Keep in my mind with a fusion of any joint affects the joints mobility above the fusion site. It's a challenge for the joints above to work harmoniously with the other joints so they do their best to compensate. This can cause other issues.

With a joint fusion there can't be any weight of the extremity because movement or weightbearing encourages the joint to move and not fuse. You will be non weightbearing for quite sometime to ensure full fusion of the joint.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Deciding between Joint Replacement and Fusion

So there is no opportunity for a cheilectomy at this point? If not, go for the fusion. The joint replacements are not that successful long term and you'll just be getting a fusion in a year or two anyway. Be sure you are seeing the BEST sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified.

Closed Thread