HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   possible infection after calc. surgery. incision cleaning (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/846704-possible-infection-after-calc-surgery-incision-cleaning.html)

justtlc 04-26-2011 02:57 PM

possible infection after calc. surgery. incision cleaning

I am sorry to repost this but since I wrote this I have more serious concerns than cleaning. I tried to edit but I guess i was past the editing deadline so i just copied and pasted. I hope there is someone that can help. I was advised a few day ago to soak bandages in distilled water with sea salt, let dry and apply to incision and this is supposed to help heal incision, but i want to talk to dr first and what he thinks. Please read on and see if you can help. :(

Last wed. i went to dr. and had stitches removed 5 wks after calcaneul surg. They did not clean but did place steri strips. Thur was a little bit of blood, incision had slightly opened due to swelling. Went to dr checked, bandaged and ace wrapped says change dressing daily come back in 10 days to be cleaned. What do they do during this process? Will it hurt? Will they remove steri strips? Also it is still oozing a little bit its like a clear orangish color, he gave me anti-biotics "just in case". I have never had any other surgeries other than laproscopic, so this is sorta freakin me out. Just went and picked up antibiotic hope I am just being paranoid, can anyone please give me some advice?? I am getting worried, the man down the street lost his leg from infection. I am too young for all of this and my mind wont stop stirring.
:(:(:(:(

Lurchy24 04-27-2011 11:01 AM

Re: possible infection after calc. surgery. incision cleaning

Hi Justtlc,

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. I recently had a calcaneal osteotomy and it is worrisome enough without having to deal with an infection. My advice to you is to call your doctor as much as you need to in order to understand the process and become comfortable. You've just been through a major surgery and peace of mind will aid in the healing process. I went through a horrible ordeal with pain and a possible DVT. I was even hospitalized. I called the docs office nearly every day. I was very worried about being such a bother to them but they were very reassuring that it is important to call if you have questions or concerns. It's your body and you have every right to take care of it.

As far as the infection goes, I have not had one resulting from surgery but have had infections resulting from cuts and burst blood blisters. As with any infection, if you see red lines travelling up from the wound, call your doctor immediately. That can indicate the infection is spreading. This happened to me and I went to the ER because I as travelling. They give me an IV antibiotic for a half hour and then sent me home with a script for antibiotics. Infection cleared up in 24 hours.

When I had an infection after a scrape, the doctor removed any scabbing, cleaned the wound, and then wrote me a script for antibiotics. The infection went away very quickly.

Best of luck to you and I urge you to call your doc. That's what they are there for!

justtlc 04-27-2011 12:09 PM

Thanks Lurchy, yesterday I did start taking the antibiotics just as a precaution and I did call the nurse hotline (through my ins.) and she said that I didnt have any signs of infection and she thought the orangish color was from the betadine. That made so much sense because not only was it not cleaned after suture removal but they had put betadine around my incision before applying the steri strips. I am waiting on a call back from the drs assistant just as reassurance. I have some days that I worry way more than others and yesterday was one of those. Again thank you for your help!!!

justtlc 04-27-2011 12:10 PM

Thanks Lurchy, yesterday I did start taking the antibiotics just as a precaution and I did call the nurse hotline (through my ins.) and she said that I didnt have any signs of infection and she thought the orangish color was from the betadine. That made so much sense because not only was it not cleaned after suture removal but they had put betadine around my incision before applying the steri strips. I am waiting on a call back from the drs assistant just as reassurance. I have some days that I worry way more than others and yesterday was one of those. Again thank you for your help!!!

justtlc 04-27-2011 12:11 PM