It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

sealz HB User
Brostrom Lateral Ligament Reconstruction

After many years of grade 3 sprains an orthopedic surgeon is suggesting I have Brostrom Lateral Ligament Reconstruction and Talus OCD done. I am not new to surgeries, however this one scares me. NWB for so long is hard to comprehend. I have a 4 yr old and 8 yr old. My husband is great and I have some friends who have offered to watch my kids, as well as a mother in law who would help from time to time. I really would love for the days when I can play outside with my kids and not be scared to death of falling with each step I take.
Is it common for this surgery to have to be redone? Does it only last for a certain amount of time when they tighten your ligaments? I know this has to be done but I'm afraid of the pain and worried the time it is going to take to recover will be SO long. I'd love some encourgament.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Brostrom Lateral Ligament Reconstruction

Hi there and welcome.

I've been in your shoes more than once. I won't get in to too many details about my surgical history, but my first surgery started with Brostrom repair, peroneal tendon repair and we found at the time of surgery, microfracture for 2 OCD lesions.

Now, to answer your questions. Is it common to have it redone and does it last? For most people, once is enough of the Brostrom and it does last. I say most because people like me, who have multi joint hypermobility syndrome the answer is, it doesn't last as much. So ask yourself, it it only your ankle, or are all your joints hypermobile? You probably know and have been told all ready if you are. Now, my first OS didn't look in to this and I didn't tell him. So he did a modified Brostrom repair, fixed my peroneal tendons, and their subluxation as well and did the microfractures.
A year and a half later I was back in surgery for everything to be redone again (except for the subluxation of the peroneals) PLUS an OATS (don't worry about this yet) on one of my OCD's. My surgeon this time knew about my hypermobility and so he first was going to use a cadavaar tendon but used something else instead. This time the Brostrom lasted. It was all about not just sewing my ligaments together again. It was too late for my OCD's though.

The Brostrom will be so worth it. The recovery isn't bad at all except for the pain in the behind of being on crutches. The microfracture is what is going to be the key, for the OCD. Do you know how big it is? That is why 6 weeks of NWB is important for the microfracture. Rehab is slow for both, but you need months for the scar tissue from the Brostrom to get nice and strong. You don't want to run on your ankle too early for the OCD to heal.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I've had 2 Brostroms, multiple tendon repairs, microfracture in 4 different surgeries, OATS on one of the OCD's, distraction arthroplasty, and I'm still not done. So related to unstable ankles or OCD's, I've probably had it done and will be happy to answer questions about it.
BTW, my body is weird with my ligaments/tendons tearing all the time and most time microfracture works great on OCD's and if not then the OATS does. So I'm just not the norm when it comes to my results, so don't let that scare you.

Last edited by K_Lana; 05-04-2011 at 04:29 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to K_Lana For This Useful Post:
sealz (05-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

poppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB User

Hi there-

I had a brostrom November of last year. I am getting close to the 6 month post-op mark. I didn't have any ocd's so I can't really comment on that part of the procedure. At one of my post-op appointments I asked my doctor what would happen if I fell and sprained my ankle again. He told me that in his 25ish years of being a foot and ankle surgeon, he does about 3-4 brostroms a month. He said that in his career he has had to re-repair 6 ankles. He said they were all either due to a fall or sports injury or stretching out of the repair like in K Lana's situation. So I would say it is in the minority for sure.

It took me about a week and a half to get off all the pain meds and I took about 8 weeks of work off. I have a very physically demanding job, but otherwise I would have been able to go back sooner. My doctor was also more aggressive in the post-op protocol, so I think that helped me to get walking sooner. My physical therapist also really helped me out along the way to get things going.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
(female)

sealz HB User

My surgery has been scheduled...May 25th. So what questions do I need to ask; what do I need to do to prepare (food, kids, myself)? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
(female)

sealz HB User

Also after all this....will I be able to be active and play soccer & basketball with my kids? I really want to be active and enjoy life!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Yes, you should be. I went on to get my black belt in karate after my first Brostrom. But, it will be about a year before you feel really good about playing soccer. At 4 mos, it will still be painful, then it will get better from there.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

I had a Brostrom 1/17/2011 things you should have before you have surgery is a shower chair and cast cover for in the shower. also I went back to work a week after surgery ( i was working from home 3 days after) and I used a knee walker to get around much better. I had a month worth of soup and other lunches at work as I really did not want to try to get in and out of the car more then i had to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Specialkt007 For This Useful Post:
sealz (05-19-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
(female)

sealz HB User

Update on me.... My surgery went well yesterday. Had the Brostrom Lateral Ligament Reconstruction and Talus OCD repair. My doctor had the anesthologist do the block so I would be pain free for 18-24 hours. I'm just now starting to feel some ache and it's been 25 hours, I am now on hydrocodone. Circulation is good but I'm having some muscle spasms, not bad. I have a Rollabout ~ wonderful!!!!! You must get one of these! Have my shower chair and shower cover (from medical supply store), and my great husband has been amazing and set me up in a recliner with my side table stocked with my must haves! 8-)
I go for follow up next week to have soft cast taken off and 1st hard cast put on, then removed 2 weeks later to take out staples/stitches, not sure which. Then a new hard cast put on for another 3-4 weeks. Of course all of this is non weight bearing. I am taking a baby aspirin because I'm afraid of blood clot. I also have medication for muscle spasms, which I haven't needed yet. I get up from time to time to 'stroll' around my house. The restroom is a little challenging because I don't have a counter to help sit and stand gently. It just takes a little more effort. lol
Not really gonna be doing too much this summer, I just want to heal perfectly so I can play with my kids and someday be able to exercise without pain. I will be around here, (need something to do) learning from all of you! Please feel free to pass on any advice. I'd like to do some chair exercises so I don't get too weak or gain weight! Thanks everyone!

Closed Thread