It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
(male)

nickblue31m HB User
Foot: Bone Fusion and smoking

Hello,

My name is Nick i'm 31. I smoke about a pack and half a day. I live a very stressful life style as most people do. I enjoy smoking and I don't (didn't) want to quit. Everyone in my social circle smokes as well as my girlfriend and family. I know it's extremely bad for my health and people around me so we can leave that out(said with a smile). I'll try to make this not drag on. I hurt my foot really bad during work (workmans comp injury). I will be having surgery in a couple of weeks. They will be fusing 5 joints. I have been told by the doctor as well as many other people that you CANNOT smoke during recovery or use chewing tabacco. It greatly reduces your chances of fusing. I understand this and want to take the steps needed to quit. I will be going to see my Family practice Doctor tomorrow to talk about Chantix. The questions I have for anyone who wants to help is: What exactly is it in Cigarettes that will cause the bones not to fuse? Is there any products out there that I can smoke when I just can't take the urge off, NON-Nicotine Ciggs? Water Vapor? I'm really curious about the Non-Nicotine cigarettes. Will those affect the fusion? I know myself and I know I wont be able to quit "cold turkey" I need help, and this is a very stressful time. I've never tried to quit before, But I don't have a choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Nick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
(female)

Matchfoot HB User
Re: Foot: Bone Fusion and smoking

Smoking inhibits healing and destroys endorphins (your body's natural pain-killers)!I tried Chantix' precursur Wellbutrin-didn't quit. At 34 yrs. of age, .I got news after my routine X-ray- I had COPD. Now, at 52, I feel as though I'm drowning for air. You see, the effects of this disease waits..COPD is caused by smoking. I thought, at 34, I had plenty of time to have my last cig. Support from myfriends helped alot to quit. I know you can do it !!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Matchfoot:
CBay4me (05-06-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

One of the problems is smokers tend to have bad circulation. I think this is the main reason they will not even operate on smokers. Think of diabetics, when there circulation gets bad, they sometimes have to amputate their foot. That should be some motivation.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
(male)

nickblue31m HB User

Thanks, I've talked to most of my friends. They will be a big help in all this.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The problem is the nicotine, so you can't use a nicotine replacement product. (gum or patch.) I'm sure you could use one of those water vapor cigarettes, though.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
(male)

CBay4me HB User

Hey Nick,

Been there done that...I shattered heel 5 yrs ago and decided to have subtalar joint fused (with hip-bone graph) in Dec 2010, to alleviate weight-bearing pain. The plan was to be up and walking by summer. I quit smoking before surgery (had been a smoker for 35 yrs) but chose to chew nicorette gum. My Dr. never "insisted" that I quit.

After having gone through PT and felt like I was healing reasonably well, I was advised that I had a non-union in late April 2011. CT scan revealed very little bone growth. I had revision surgery (basically a redo of first surgery) on 4/27/11. I chewed nic. gum again for the first week with 2 mg gum instead of 4 mg (like 1st surgery) just to cope through 1st week post op.

I'm completely nicotine free as of 5/3/11. Chewing lots of Orbit gum! I would've thought that with a 90% success rate for my surgery that quitting smoking would've been enough as I'm reasonably healthy otherwise. Going through this procedure a second time was not part of my plan at all. Alas, the Dr. was only able to insert 1 screw the first surgery in Dec. (it calls for 2 screws traditionally). The most recent surgery he put in 3 screws.

Wish my Dr. had insisted that I quit nicotine the first time as you don't want to go through surgery more than once. Hope Chantix will work for you (I had tried it previously without success). Wishing you luck in your surgery/recovery. Mark

Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBay4me View Post
Hey Nick,

Been there done that...I shattered heel 5 yrs ago and decided to have subtalar joint fused (with hip-bone graph) in Dec 2010, to alleviate weight-bearing pain. T
So what made you decide to have the fusion, after 3 years? Did it get worse, or did you just say to yourself I am sick of this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
ouchmyfootlol (05-10-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
(male)

CBay4me HB User

Hi Zerk, Love your posts! It was definitely a "I'm sick of this" decision. Quality of life issues...love walking medium distances, going to outdoor events, etc. As I stated, weight-bearing was too painful to enjoy beyond short periods of time. I'd tried anti-inflammatory drugs as well as cortisone shots. Cortisone worked pretty well though.

I'm 6 ft tall & weigh about 220 lbs. Maybe overweight, but not obese. Would like to lose some weight this go round also. Mark

Old 05-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

The hard thing with this is knowing, how much pain is to much pain. I have been taking antiflamatories almost daily in the spring. Some of it need, some preventive.

Its not that there is anything extra I want to do, that I am not doing either. I take a tramadol a few times a week when I am really active. This last week lots of work on ladders, and my job is standing on concrete.

On one hand I think a few pills over the week isn't bad. But I also wonder if it is one of these things, that a person wishes they didn't wait on.

For now I am just going to keep doing it, and hopefully will know when the time is right, if it needs to be done. I am a little over 2 years. I like reading about people that are further along for this reason. Thanks for sharing.

Closed Thread

Tags
bone, bone fusion, cigarettes, foot, smoking