It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User
Calcaneal Osteotomy PT

Hi, I'm 4 days away from getting my cast off. I had a calcaneal osteotomy, modified brostrom repair, and gastroc recession on March 21st. I will be 7 weeks post-op when I get the cast removed (my doc prefers 8 weeks but he will be out the following week). I know a few people on here have had similar procedures and I was wondering the following:

1. How quickly were you walking without crutches afterwards?
2. How may days after beginning PT were you able to put in a full days work?
3. What are swelling expectations after week 1, 2, 3, 4?
4. How many days after beginning PT were you able go without elevation?
5. What are the pain expectations? Have you needed to take pain meds?

Thanks, really looking forward to moving on with my life.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

sfoot58 HB Usersfoot58 HB User
Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy PT

Hi Lurchy, I had surgery the same day as you and am going to dr on Mon, for xrays and to see if I can start pwb. I have been in an aircast for three weeks now which was great for showering and have been doing two excercises, the swelling isn't too bad when I take the aircast off.I had pt tendon transfer, calcaneal osteotomy, achilles lengthening and cheilectomy. I have all the same questions as you as far as pt and going back to work fulltime. Do you still have a alot of pain? I have a lot of pain in my heel but that is about it. Are you already set up for PT? I havent heard yet if I am going to have pt or not. Good luck on your appointment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

An air cast? I'm very jealous. I've been in a fiberglass cast since 2 weeks after surgery. I know I'm going into a CAM walker for four weeks once they cut me out of this thing.

I've had a terrible experience with pain. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days after the nerve block wore off because we couldn't get it under control. I was off the 24 hour meds within 10 days my surgery though. Since then, I typically have to take one dose of meds each day. I can usually go about 1 day per week without any meds but then I seem to pay for it the next day. I'm supposed to attend class this weekend which is going to be a real test. 6-9 on Friday and 8 to 3 on Saturday.

What are the exercises you are doing? Do they cause your ankle/foot to swell?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
(male)

RE pain - it varies. Shooting nerve pain in foot, burning in toes, ache in ankle, burning in heel. No consistency to it.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User

I had similiar procedures as you on 2/22/11: Calcaneal Osteotomy, Gastroc Recession, Kidner Procedure, and Cotton Osteotomy. I'm now ten weeks post surgery.

1. How quickly were you walking without crutches afterwards?
I was able to get out of the fiberglass cast at 6 weeks post op and put into a CAM boot. It took me three weeks until I was able to walk without crutches while in the boot. I wear a shoe with orthotics except when I am at work. I have trouble at times walking without using a crutch when I am in a shoe. I don't have enough strength or ROM to walk without assistance.

2. How may days after beginning PT were you able to put in a full days work?
I started PT at 6 weeks out and started work this week (at 10 weeks out) working eight hour days.

3. What are swelling expectations after week 1, 2, 3, 4?
I'm currently having LOTS of trouble with swelling. Its my biggest concern at this point and its the first time I've ever regretted having the surgery done. The first few weeks weren't an issue at all for me though.

4. How many days after beginning PT were you able go without elevation?
Still am not anywhere close to being able to go without elevation.

5. What are the pain expectations? Have you needed to take pain meds?
When I started at PT I ended up having to start back up on the Norco on the days I had PT. My therapist had told me that its quite normal and recommended taking something before sessions. The past two weeks however I've been able to go without narcotics and just have to take an Ultram here and there. Most of my pain I think comes from the swelling at this point.

Hopefully this helps you out. Good luck and keep hanging on!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
(male)

Thanks April. This is really helpful. Here's my situation. I will be 7 weeks post-op on Monday. A company I am interviewing with wants to fly me (about a 2 hour flight) in for an interview. It will most likely be a tour of the office and 4-8 hours of interviews. So, other than the tour and walking between offices for the interviews, I will be seated. Do you think this is something that will be possible after 2 weeks of PT?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
(male)

Just wanted to give an update regarding my experience so far.

I got the cast off last week, I was 7 weeks post-op. I've had 4 PT sessions and am making a lot of progress. Range of motion is improving but I have a long way to go. I am able to put about 3/4 of my weight onto my foot. The really uncomfortable part is my heel. It feels like there is a bump or something on the lateral side of the bottom of my heel. During the osteotomy, my heel was shifted laterally so I'm assuming it has something to do with that. Very uncomfortable to put weight on it. The entire heel is swollen and feels like I'm stepping on a water balloon. I'm trying to get it used to the sensation of weight which is very challenging. I'm still on pain meds every day but I've been able to cut down the dosage. Swelling hasn't been a huge issue if I elevate it at night. My therapist did put that kiniseo tape on my ankle and running up my leg. I think that really helps. I may be flying out for my interview next week and my goal is to be in the boot but with no crutches. I'm able to walk short distances with one crutch now. Going to be a challenge.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Good luck Lurchy24 on your interview!
You give me hope...everyone on this board does.

This friday I'll be 3 weeks out from my surgery...I had calcaneal osteotomy, debridement posterior tibial tendon, transfer flexor digitorum longus tendon to navicular, and gastrocmenius release. I'm in my hard cast now for 5 more weeks...

For pain...off and on it feels like a bear is biting my foot...sharp - shooting pains. I'm assuming that is nerves waking up...but not the most pleasant of feelings.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
(male)

Thanks Adbrow. Good luck with your recovery. It's different for everyone and I hope you have a better experience than I have.

Closed Thread