It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User
Question PTTD Surgery Subtalar Joint Fusion

I am scheduled for surgery on June 6. I am going to have a tendon transfer and a subtalar joint fusion.

I was told that a big screw is going to be put in my heel. (gulp) I appreciate reading posts from others that have had this same surgery.

Since joining this healthboard last week, I've recieved alot of good information.

I'm now wearing a boot that inflates/deflates; having that and a cane helps me as I prepare for the upcoming operation.

May I hear from others who have had a screw inserted into the heel?

I thank you...much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery Subtalar Joint Fusion

Did the doctor also mention a calcaneal osteotomy? That proceedure typically requires one or two screws inserted in the heel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

No, he did not mention that. I had called again after my last appointment and spoke to the nurse. She confirmed that he will be inserting one big screw.

She did comment that sometimes people end up having the screw taken out (outpatient surgery) due to pain. Obviously that would be way down the road after everything is fused and healed.

I thank you. I've learned alot by going back and reading your previous posts.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Hi, I had a tendon transfer, repair, subtalar fusion and calf lengthening on Oct 1st. Typically the fusion is done to stabilize the arch and side to side movement when more stability is needed for the fallen arch than can be achieved with a calcaneal osteotmy. In my case I have been over weight to some extent all my life. And had a severe tear in the ptt because the arch and foot was so unstable. The doc said he could have done the osteotomy but I would most likely need the fusion later. I opted to go with what he recommended. I have 2 screws at the back of the heel, I have read that some surgeons use just one. Take a look at my prior posts from The past 6 months to see my experience. Got to go to sleep now as I have a 6 am meeting tomorrow. But I'll check back in a few days. Don't worry it sounds worse than it turns out to be!

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatfootDiva For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
(female)

FlatfootDiva,

Thank you very much for responding to my question....much appreciated.

I woke up early this morning with anxiety; knowing that the surgery is one month from today.

I am most anxious to go back and read every one of your posts. Your expertise is going to be very valuable to me.

Thanks again.
PS: I'm lovin' your screen name.

Zoeys Grammy

Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

You're preparing well in advance! See the post-it at the top of the foot board for lots of great tips for what to do when you're non weight bearing. The best gadgets are the knee scooter, bedside commode and lots of pillows to elevate and a bunch of books, an ipad or tv. I took pain meds for less than about a week then after only rarely at night. The first few weeks I didn't get around much as the foot felt best lying down and propped up. You'll nYeed a lot of help at first. I was NWB for 9 weeks and I used a bone growth stimulator from day one to 6months. Its an an electronic soft magnet that wraps around the cast or boot to encircle the ankle and speeds the fusion.

it's been 7 months and I'm doing pretty well. I still have some days with pain others I find myself pretty much walking normally and I surprise myself. I think the recovery time is a bit longer for a fusion than the majority of the folks you'll read on this foot board that have osteotomy. And when you're heavy like me "weight bearing" takes on a whole new meaning. My foot looks quite good now, the scars are getting faint and I have a nicely shaped arch. I never had a lot of swelling but still have about the same amount since getting into shoes. I continued wearing my same sneaker size, although they were roomy to begin with.

So you know what to expect, be sure to ask your doc to explain to you how the fusion changes the way your foot and ankle will work. And how the tendon transfer changes the functioning of the front of the foot.

And try not to worry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlatfootDiva For This Useful Post:
Battlemaiden (10-01-2012), Zoeys Grammy (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
(female)

5/8 6pm

Hi FlatfootDiva,

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the usefull information that you have shared with me.

I'm getting another list of questions ready to ask before I have the surgery.

To be honest, FlatfootDiva, I've read soooo many posts where people are reporting pain and problems many months after their surgery. I'd like to hear from people who said that they sure are glad that they had the subtalar joint fusion surgery.

I am overweight, also. I can picture me getting even heavier as I'm going to be so inactive. Having peanut butter cups within reach while I'm recouping is probably not a good idea....darn.

I don't even know if you're a "momma."...if so, I hope you're having a nice Mothers Day. Sounds like you are coming along very well. ( a long journey, for sure)

PS I have been reading your previous posts, as you suggested.

Thanks again. Zoeys Grammy

Old 05-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am ten months post op flat foot surgery and am doing very well now. It was a long and frustrating recovery but now I can honestly say that I am very happy I had the surgery done

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

Thank you for your comments. You and FlatfootDiva are the two people that have answered my questions.

It's been helpfull to me to read former posts; as I prepare for the surgery on June 6.

I'm glad that you are doing well. Zoeys Grammy

Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Fully enjoy the time before your surgerey and find lots of stuff to keep you entertained while you are down. When you feel up to it after your surgerey find a way to have someone get you out even if it means renting a wheelchair. Getting out of the house even for coffee or to the bookstore will really boost your spirits and ward off depression and cabin fever. The loss of mobility and independence can really start messing with your mind if you are not careful.

Keep in mind just because you will be non weightbearing doesn't mean you can't do seated exercises. The entire 6 weeks I worked out in bed and in a chair doing various exercises with dumbbells and ankle cuffs. I actually lost weight with this surgerey because getting up was such a chore.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
(female)

Hi Velvetrain,

Thank you very much for your input. I have learned so much since joining this healthboard. Glad you are doing so well.

Zoeys Grammy

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
(female)

Don't worry too much about gaining weight.
I lost some weight in the months leading up to the surgery at my doctors direction . Essentially he told me i would eventually need surgery but it wouldnt help much if i didnt lose some weight i lost 50 lbs over about a year then the tendon tore and even tho i was still almost 100 lbs over weight i had to have surgery. I didn't pay much attention to calories when I was NWB but surprisingly didn't gain any weight back. Since i couldnt go to the store myself i only got chocolate when some one else brought it home! About getting around, You just have to go slow, take your time and try to be careful. I put weight on the foot a couple of times in the cast by mistake and it made me be more careful.

On a positive note I bought new shoes! Even thought they're comfort shoes and not very fashionable at least they a re not new balance sneakers. PW Minor oxfords that look ok with a pants suit for work. And actually are more comfy than the sneaker.

Looking forward to the weekend I'm going out with my camera to take pics - a hobby that I hadn't done much over the past year.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatfootDiva For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #13
(female)

Again I'm thanking you, FlatfootDiva for your words of wisdom.

I had a total knee replacement four years ago...it was a big ordeal with a long recovery, lots of physical therapy....percocet was my freind. At least I could put my foot down and do weight bearing.

Enjoy your weekend. I always have my camera with me...who doesn't love pictures.

PS Guess who else is wearing New Balance tennis shoes? Zoeys Grammy

Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

That is true about not having access to the bad foods during recoverey. My mom cooked all my meals for close to 8 weeks. I can count on one hand the times I had any dessert or ice cream lol. She cooked nothing but healthy meals with alot of vegetables. I drank nothing but water and milk. Probably the reason I lost weight. I want given a chance to snack between meals. Secretly I think she enjoyed having that kind if power over me. I looked forward to Friday nights because it was usually Wendy's or takeout Chinese lol.

Fortunately now I am trying to stay on the healthy path and lose more weight.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
(female)

Hi Velvetrain,

Congrat for losing weight! I have not been very successful at shedding pounds. Today my husband and I went to the grocery store and stocked up on several frozen meals for me to have while I'm recouping. I picked out some Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smart Choice. I'll have one of those daily.

Am continuing to read posts and prepare for my June 6 surgery. I can't even imagine using crutches. Physician is sending me to therapy next Wednesday to learn how to use them.

I am going to rent a knee walker. If it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't know anything about them. I already know that it's going to be a huge help for me.

Zoeys Grammy

Closed Thread

Tags
subtalar fusion