It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
bruised feeling on bottom of heel

For the past month, I've had the feeling that the bottom of my right heel is bruised. I don't see any sign of a bruise though. I didn't have any special events that would have injured the area. It just started hurting.

It isn't extremely painful, but it is constantly sore. Some days more than others.

I've taken prescription anti-inflammatories and iced the area. I also have a special roller that is designed to roll your feet over to help relax the foot that I've tried (gently).

So far, it still feels the same.

For footwear, I typically wear Danskos, Birkenstocks or occassionally athletic shoes.

How long should I wait to see the doctor? Is it really worth seeing the doctor when the pain isn't severe?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: bruised feeling on bottom of heel

Have you tried stretching/massaging the calf muscle? Tight calf muscle or achilles tendon can sometimes cause heel pain, or at least it does for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Thanks. I have done some stretching, but probably not often enough. I haven't been massaging it though. Certainly easy enough to try. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
(male)

johnwinter HB Userjohnwinter HB User

The bruised feeling is probably the beginning of a heel spur.

This is the section were the planafascia ligament attaches to the heel.

You may need some ultrasound and a set of custom made orthotics

JW

The Following User Says Thank You to johnwinter For This Useful Post:
MountainReader (05-12-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

So I went to see a podiatrist today. Dr. Walker...gotta love that. He immediately knew it was planter fasciitis. The first spot he pressed on my foot hit dead on and he apologized for that in advance. X-rays confirmed a large bone spur as well. I left with a cortisone shot in the bottom of my heel. The numbness of that wore off after a couple hours and some pain set in. I'm hoping my personal history with the cortisone shots holds true and I'll just have the pain 2-3 days and then I'll have some true relief of the pain caused by inflammation. I go back in a week for a follow-up visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
johnwinter (05-18-2011)
Closed Thread