It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User
Unhappy Brostrom problems with hypermobility syndrome

ok so all I can say is I am ****** I am 4 months post op yesterday and I am 95% sure i blown out my Brostrom on my left ankle. i have rolled my ankle 3 times in the last week and my "crazy ROM" I had before surgery is back. I have an apt tomorrow but i was at PT today and they were already talking about coming back after my next surgery and saving apt..... I have multi joint hypermobility syndrome that the surgen knew about before going, but he thought the Brostrom would work. But when he did my surgery the tissue was much wores when he was doing the surgery then the MRI showed. ( it has not elastic to it at all) he had told my mom that he was not confident with the surgery and I had to be really carful. i totaly thought i would have more then 4 months and that is only 3 week out of the boot......

so here is my questions he was talking about moving a ligument from the other side of my foot any one know what surgery this is? and why would he not use the peroneus brevis tendon surgery? also why would he not use condavor tissue with how bad my tissue is in the first place?

I will be asking these questions tomorrow but was wondering if people had any idea I am just so ****** as i was all set to have a Brostrom on my Rigt ankle in Nov now maybe it will be surgery on left in Aug if i can wait that long and right in Nov or Dec...... try to keep it all in one insurance year...... but that will be 9 months out of this year in cast or walking boots....... CRAPPY YEAR and I am only 26!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Brostrom problems with hypermobility syndrome

I've had 2 Brostroms so far and I have hypermobility syndrome (soon to be dx'd possibly with Ehlers-Danlos) and even my OS said you can't use your own tissue. My first was a regular Brostrom, 1st OS, didn't know about hypermobility and I didn't know it mattered. The 2nd he did a Brostrom with a periosteal flap from my fibula. It actually was good, until I had a distraction arthroplasty procedure (ankle joint distracted for 3 mos) and tore everything. My dr. was going to use a cadavar the 2nd time, but chose the periosteal flap deal instead, probalby cause I was worried about cadavar. BUt, I will demand cadavar if I have it done again. Basically my OS put it this way before my 2nd Brostrom, "Your tissue is C**P, and so you can't repair it with C**P" and I believe that is so true. I would not settle with using your own tissue. Your dr. might not understand hypermobilty syndrome and that it is a connective tissue disorder and that your ligaments will stretch out again all the time. My peroneal tendons have been repaired multiple times as well, so I wouldn't use part of those to reconstruct the ligaments either. Tell him you need someone elses's tissue!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

I totaly agree to not use my own tissue. and at this point as much as I love my dr. i dont think i will be doing surgery again with him if he wants to use my tissue.... I was hoping that this would at least hold for a month after being out of the walking boot.....

Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

OK so I just got back from the doctor and he say that i did tear some of the surgery but not enough to redo it this early. but if i keep rolling it he will. I also talked to him about what the "second surgery" would be and he said he would normaly take a pice of hamstring to sew around the ligaments and than attach it to bone. but in my case cadaver would more than likely be the better approach. but now no sports till July.... it was june last time i talked to him.

Closed Thread