It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

I hurt all over HB User
Unhappy Pain resulting from flat feet

Hello everyone, I am new to this community and I needed to reach out because I'm feeling very lonely, lost and confused. Up until about 9 months ago, I was living life as a healthy and fun-loving person. I first noticed pain on the outside of my heel when I was walking one day. It was a sharp-type of pain that just didn't go away. Gradually, the pain also presented in my other foot until it hurt terribly to walk without shooting pain. Eventually, I also developed 2 morton's neuromas (one in each foot) between the 3rd and 5th toes. I also have tremendous pain in my knees and hips. I've been fitted for 3 sets of custom orthotics and am in physical therapy for the knee pain. At times, I get so discouraged because the achiness and discomfort never, ever goes away. Most recently, I began feeling pain in the back of my legs (behind the thighs and calves) and right at the points where the top and bottom of the leg meet the creases of the knee at the back of the legs. It's like this pulling, tight pain and it hurts worse when I sit. I also feel slight muscle twitches all day long, up and down the front and back of the legs. I'm wondering if anyone else with flat feet has experienced similar symptoms. Any help/advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Last edited by I hurt all over; 05-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Pain resulting from flat feet

Who diagnosed you with flat foot? What was the dx based on? Does the doctor feel that the flat feet are the cause of your symptoms? What does the doctor reccomend you do? My arch became progressively flat until my entire foot pancaked and when I stood, ankle was starting to cave in. As the pttd got worse, I would experience a sharp pain along the outside of my foot and thru the arch. I was in pain just walking from one room to another. An MRI showed that my posterior tibial tendon was partially ruptured. I was beyond orthotics, good shoes or a custom brace working. I ended up having flat foot surgery about 10 months ago. The recover is long and hard but it gave me my life back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
(female)

I hurt all over HB User

Hi Roxy - I was diagnosed with flat feet a few months ago. I just saw my podiatrist today for adjustments to my custom orthotics. They were too narrow. I asked if flat feet would cause me to have pain in the back of my legs and he said that it would not. He did not know what could cause these pains. I also inquired as to what other treatment options he would suggest for me because I am scared that this pain in my feet and elsewhere will never go away. He suggested that I continue with conservative treatment for now. This is really starting to affect my quality of life and making me very depressed. I am even considering doing the foot surgery on both feet (one at a time). I am also very nervous that I may have some other condition because I also have tendonitis pain all over my feet, knees, and now even my elbows and shoulders. Even the doctors are at a loss as to what my condition is. I've been to 2 rheumatology experts and all tests have come back normal. I am so confused and worried. . .
Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by I hurt all over; 05-27-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Did you try a general ortho or possibly a neurologist. A neurologist can test to find out if there is a compressed nerve/nerves that may be causing the problems. I would try conservative measures before surgery, especially because it sounds as if something else may be causing some of your pain. Before even considering flat foot surgery, please get at least two opinions. If you end up having surgery make sure that your doctor has done many of these proceedures. It is a surgery that can have wonderful results but it could also result in increased pain and symptoms!!!!! The success rate is not as high as other proceedures but choosing a well veted doctor increases your chance of a good outcome. Make sure that your really need the surgery before having it. Flat foo surgery is usually comprised of several proceedures at once. Most of the time, you would be nwb about 8 weeks, followed by several weeks in a walking cast. If you have a job that is not fairly sedentary, you most likely will be out of work 3-4 months. My outcome has been FANTASTIC. Just don't rushe into anything as others do not have as good an outcome as me

Old 05-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

canuck46 HB User

I too have had a triple arthrodesis in March 2009 and had an excellent outcome. I have osteoarthritis in my left knee and degenerative disc disease in my lower back. The type of pain and muscle tension you describe sound very similar to what I am experiencing and have been dealing with since well before my ankle surgery. I think a neurologist is a great idea as well as going to see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees and spine problems. I am considering knee replacement to fix the knee problem. Good luck to you.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
(female)

I hurt all over HB User

I just met with my Rheumatologist and she informed me that all my tests came back normal. I guess I should be happy but this pain prevents me from feeling happiness. I just wish I had a firm diagnosis and be able to treat this pain in my body. I also have met with an Orthopaedic surgeon and he just referred me to physical therapy, which does help but not always. The next step is to see a neurologist as was suggested by the rheumatologist. I am feeling very hopeless and am afraid that I will have to live in pain for the rest of my life. If these pains are all due to poor mechanics, I wonder how long it will take my body to adjust to the custom orthotics. Does anyone have experience with dealing with custom orthotics??

Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
(male)

mvb HB User

i am going through the same thing. my advice to you is find a good orthotic/ shoe combo. it is tough to find but i prefer walking shoes. the orthotics should be rigid enough to control your pronation but not too rigid/ built up where it is pushing hard on your arch. if it is pushing realy hard on your arch it will cause more problems. so let the doctor know. they say it takes a few weeks to a month to get used to them but i feel if they are good it should only take a week at least in my experience. i have waited and waited to try to get used to some orthotics but never did. i finally found a decent pair they are plastic custom made. i put a cushioned sole on top of them. they do help a lot. also stretch your calfs and hamstrings as much as possible. this will help with everything-back, knee, foot pain. stretching your hamstrings will take pressure off your back and stretching your calfs will make it easier to wear orthotics because a tight calf makes the foot roll in more. if i didnt wear orthotics and stretch i would be useless. you kind of have to find a happy medium with everything by knowing your always gonna be a little uncomfortable and have a little pain but you shouldnt have a lot of pain. If all else fails and you dont want to be in pain any more there is always surgery that can correct your feet and surgery that can correct your back. but it is a lot to go through so it is a last resort. my problem is i dont like having any pain constantly even if it is low grade pain and i dont like being restricted from activities so surgery is always in the back of my mind. i know what you are going through and untill you get your problems under control they should be able to prescribe you pain medicine or antidepressants if you are depressed. i wish you the best of luck and there are always people on here to talk to if you feel down

Closed Thread

Tags
flat feet, leg pain, muscle spasm, neuromas