It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

sealz HB User
BORED already! Brostrom & Talus OCD microfracture

Hello everyone. I cant believe it's just been 7 days since my surgery, and I'm already bored! Am I really supposed to just do nothing? I have my rollabout, which is such a blessing, but oh geez! What to do, what to do? I'm on pain pills so I can't get past 2 paragraphs of my book without falling asleep! Yes I love watching movies, but I've seen so many movies already! What I'm finding myself doing is sleeping a lot, and looking at websites and HGTV on ways to redo my kitchen! LOL
The first 5 days I wasn't even sure my doctor did anything because I didn't have ANY pain! Boy was I wrong! That night it felt like someone stabbed a knife right in my heel! I JUMPED with pain! SO I'm making sure I take it easy, as well as asking my friends and family for help. With my 4 and 8 year old I really am at the mercy of the kindness of those around me. Thank God I have great friends! I have my nice little set up with snacks, remotes, phones, books, drinks, chapstick, dental floss! Oh and of course 4 pillows. lol
I would love for you vetrans to post your favorite things to do! Will it really make a difference if I stay home with my foot up most of the time? I get my hard cast on in 9 days. When would be a safe time to venture out? Thanks everyone!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Re: BORED already! Brostrom & Talus OCD microfracture

Sounds like you are on par! And doing good! I slept for the first 2 weeks. I couldn't even stay awake through a movie! But since then I've done some reading, watching movies, crocheting and now I can clean a little - it takes forever...but I can do a little at a time...I just have to watch that I don't over do.

Unfortunately I've never been a good sleeper...so those first 2 weeks of sleeping all the time were nice...now I'm back to not sleeping...

Let others help you as much as possible. My doc said I could do what I'm comfortable with - he said I'll know when it's too much.

Good luck and happy recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

sealz HB User

Thank adbow for responding. So am I lazy or just can't handle the pain? I am down probably 95% of the day! I'm sure it will get better but I'm wondering if I should try to push myself more? Is this truly a 6-8 weeks of doing not much at all? I just want to heal and get better...boo hoo, poor pitiful me. My husband is very supportive, but I can already tell not even 7 days into this, and he is drained! I mean who wouldn't be? Taking care of me and 2 young kids! Sorry for venting. LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to sealz:
adbow (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Hang on there Sealz! You are NOT being a big baby! This is major major surgery! I am 4 weeks out and took pain meds last night. I've only been completely off for about 3 days. (I've been off during the day but was still taking at night).
My foot is more throbbing/numb now. But for 3-4 weeks it was sharp shooting pains...not all the time...but when they did they could bring me to an upright position. You should be laying down with foot elevated for 90-95% of the time. My doc just gave the go ahead at 4 weeks if I wanted to try having mine down for a little more time. He said I would know...and I do...it swells and throbs!

I'll warn you..at least for me...week 3 I cried the whole week...felt ugly as all get out, like I was worthless and a burden on everyone...you name it ...I was on the pity pot big time and could not quit crying. Others reassured me that that is normal...anesthesia and the pain meds...and the fact that our bodies had a huge shock with the surgery we had.

So...go easy on yourself...you will make it!! We are all here for you! And you are WAY to early to push anything!! You want to heal good...take care!!

Angela

The following user gives a hug of support to adbow:
sealz (06-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to adbow For This Useful Post:
sealz (06-02-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Sealz,
Hang in there! I am a week ahead of you. Had OATS on the 18th. I got first Doc visit today. The no driving will make me crack soon though. I don't think I can offer any new ideas. Puzzels, jigsaws, sudukos, brainteasers. Heck it takes me forever just to get cleaned up everyday.
I (sortof) got lucky with the first two weeks. My daughter graduated High school, son was in baseball playoffs. Parents came in from Seattle and stayed for 4 days, I am also taking an online class. So it has been crazy at my house.
Also I am alergic to most pain meds. so after my nerve block wore off, it has just been advil or nothing. I actually don't have much pain, it was WAY worse before the surgery. So usually a pm advil to sleep and thats been it. I hope it all looks good today. If not I may be in trouble for all that activity. I have a wheelchair, walkers and crutches. May check into a roll about for the next few weeks.
How old are your kids?

The following user gives a hug of support to dizzizzi99:
sealz (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

sealz HB User

Hi Izzi!You absolutely HAVE to get a roll about! It is the best! My kids are 4 and 8. Since my surgery I have been lucky to have great friends watching them. I am sleeping like 18 hours a day, I don't see how I can take care of my babies. When my husband (also great!) gets home with the kids I go into shock with the loudness they bring. Lol, it really stresses me out. I'm sure it's the pain pills, they just make me more sensitive to everything. They also decreased my appetite, which can cause other problemoes! I cant imagine not being able to take pain pills, I know the pain is horrible. I slept through time for one of my doses and couldn't believe how strong the pain was! I read on here about a natural supplement that works well for pain, I'm going to try to find some, maybe I won't sleep so much. I can't even stay away to read books, which I love to do. I also like puzzles and stuff but again, can't stay awake. What is OATS? What is your ankle history?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
(female)

sealz HB User

Hi Angela ~ wow, thanks so much for responding. That's what I was needing to hear. I am so wanting to do this the right way and recover the best I can! Like I've said before my main challenge is my kids and keeping them busy (and not under my feet!). I am keeping my foot up most ALL day. I do know the sharp shooting pain, it absolutely takes my breath away. What kind of surgery did you have done? And are you working or taking off 6 weeks to recover? Just wondering what everyone else is doing to take care of themselves. Thanks so much for being here. (((hugs)))

The following user gives a hug of support to sealz:
adbow (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Sealz!
You do want to take the time and recover right from this! I know I want to - I don't want complications or to mess up what the doc did. 8-) I had calcaneal osteotomy, achielles tendon lengthening, ptt repair and fdl tendon transfer.
My doc wants me off work for 8 weeks. Since I'm completely non weight bearing during that time...and my work is an hour commute to get there and then quite a hike into the building and then to my desk. (From one end of the plant to the other is over a mile---huge site...I'm not that far into it...but far enough) I might try in 2 more weeks to see if the doc will let me work part time from for a couple of weeks. But I do want to make sure I have the time to heal correctly.
You do have young ones. Give it a few weeks until you are awake more...let your body sleep and heal right now. When you are awake more you can watch movies with the kids, color, read books to them...let them wait on you. 8-) It will come...
Angela

Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Sealz,
Wow 4 and 8 are exhausting even when your healthy! How are you at video games? Ever play Mario cart and stuff like that with them? You'll have to teach them all your card games too. Spend the summer playing cards in the AC. I have an 18 and a 16. They are very good about most things. Unfortunatly this has been ongoing since 2005 so this is what they are used to. On one hand they know if they need laundry they got to do it cause of the stairs. On the other, because I did not want to miss certain things over the years I have pushed myself to do them. Like going to a baseball game less than a week out from surgery. My poor son (not really) when he gets hurt in a game can't even complain. How can you say "ow I pulled a muscle" when your mom is crutching along after being sawed in two! My husband also gets frustrated. We have been married 25 years this year and he is very used to just working and not much else. So now he has to do all the yard stuff all the stair climbing and other things and he gets a bit cranky. Just imagine how bad you'd have to cater if HE was in your spot! I'd rather it be me!.
So OATS is when the defect is very large and what they do is repair it with a bone graft. They have to saw open the ankle joint to get in there. There are 2 types. Autograft and allograft. Auto uses your own bone from somewhere else in your body (last time they used my knee, Left ankle) Allograft is usually too large for your own bone so they use a cadaviar. My right ankle was pretty bad. (thats this surgery) They had to do a micrcfacture to the outer side and the OATS to the inner side and he also did a achilles lenghtening. I did not know about that untill they took the bandage off in the office. My leg looks like frankenstein! I got stiches in the back of the calf stitches in two places on the outside and 14 staples on the inside part. It is a bigger cut that the other foot got. The doc said he basically had the foot backwards and strapped to my leg. (there is a visual I can't get rid of). There is giant purple bruses all over too. So now I got a cast for two weeks and then I will get another for two more weeks. I think cause I have had these issues since I was about 10 years old, I am a bit desensitised to pain. It feels better now than it did before the surgery.
I will try and think of ideas to do with your kids. Are they boys or girls? How about artsy stuff. Painting and play dough? Maybe too old for that?
Thanks for letting me chat.....
Diane

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
(female)

sealz HB User

Diane ~ Oh My Goodness! What in the world happened to you when you were 10? That is just too much for one person to endure! I pray that this will be the end of your pain and surgeries. My daughter is 4, and my son is 8. He absolutely loves video games, which I am trying to learn. Video games really are not my thing but what else and I going to do? lol....my daughter absolutely loves artsy, girly things. I will just feel better when I can stay awake through out the day! I need to reserve myself to the fact that for the next 3 months I'm really going to have to take it easy.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
(female)

Sealz,
Awesome, you get the best of both worlds, videao games and crafts! I have a son a daughter also. It's ok if your not good at the games then he can beat you. Unless of course your on his team and you both keep getting beat. Then you'll have to practice for hours just to get better! (joke) My son and friends play games so complicated it is way out of my league. I get motion sickness watching them. Every now and again he will get out the old easy ones for me. The taking it easy part is very hard, not so much because there is so much other things to do, but because time just comes to a crashing standstill. I keep thinking it is a day later than it is. It is going slow. But yeah it is essential to recovery. So here we are.
I guess I was born with alot of misshaped bones and over the years instead of my joints gliding smooth like they should they ground away my cartilage and everything else. It was when I was 10 that my ankles first started locking into place. They did see huge issues on x-ray but we did not have money. It was in the 70's so I am not sure what they could have done successfully anyhow. Now I have a very competant surgeon and fully believe I will make a good recovery. I know it is not a perminant thing but I see from other post that new things are being discovered all the time. There is hope!
Hope you are well, weather is nice and dishes are done
Diane

The following user gives a hug of support to dizzizzi99:
sealz (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
(female)

sealz HB User

Oh my goodness Diane, that is just horrible. I am so sorry that you have had to endure all these years of pain. I will say that you seem so positive and faith-filled on your upcoming journey to being pain-free. And I will definifely pray for you to have patience and your surgeon to make right choices for your treatment.
My son likes the star wars video games, umm I'm not the best at those. lol, give me some donkey kong and pac-man and I'm good to go! I have to say I've been watching HGTV for like 6 hours a day and I'm ready to do some renovating, haha, like that's gonna happen anytime soon! Maybe they will come and 'crash' my house! Oh well I can dream (thanks to my pain pills,lol)!
I tried to wean myself off of my pain pills yesterday, only taking 1/2 pill with 800mg Motrin every 8 hours. I will not do that again! I guess I was trying to see if I could handle it, and maybe not sleep so much everyday, or I just wanted to see how much pain I could inflict on myself! It was horrible, I couldn't even move my toes.
SO today I'm back on the pill! Thanks for your encouragment, I know that in the end it will all be worth it, when I can walk without fear of falling! God Bless! ~ Sheila

Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

I had flatfoot reconstruction and did very little for the first 3 weeks. Then I began to work from home, but I used a laptop in bed propped up on pillows just about the entire time until I was weight bearing at 9 weeks. As the pain subsided, I would get up and use the knee walker into the living room to eat dinner in a lounge chair with my feet up and watch about an hour of tv in that sitting position. But my foot hurt when it wasn't elevated over my head for many weeks. I've heard that others had less problems being up after a few weeks. I agree just take it slowly. Hang in there!

Closed Thread