It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: 82 days post surgery (calcaneal osteotomy, brostrom, gastroc slide)

Yes it's true everyone does respond differently to the aftermath of this surgerey. Your recovery may be similar but never the same as someone elses. I had to stop comparing my healing process to others and focus on my own recoverey. Funny how someone can have surgerey the same time you did and be so much further in abilities. I think I read on here that someone was running 3 months after this surgerey? Unbelievable. There are so many variables.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I go for my first post-op visit tomorrow. (Suture out, cast on...not sure I'm up to seeing what my foot looks like)Roxy, about how long did it take for that appointment at HSS? I have to get a car service to take me into city and want to be able to give a rough estimate of time for my reservation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Wow, running after 3 months? I could probably do it but I don't think I have enough lateral stability to risk to it. Besides, my heel still aches pretty bad after walking on it for an hour. I can't imagine what the running would do.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Lurchy did you get plantar fascitis too? You mentioned alot of heel pain. I developed PF from all those weeks of nwb. It was brutal in terms of heel pain. It's much better now. The boot really aggravated the condition. Its so hard inside that boot and didn't cushion my heel at all. I was so glad to get out of it. You sound like I felt a month ago.

I hate to admit this but we should rejoice we are beyond the acute stages from this surgerey. Can you imagine going back to the first week after surgerey. Thank the lord all that is over. It's summer and we are just getting more active on foot. Great feeling despite all we have been through.

Last edited by velvetrain; 06-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

I don't know if I have it. I'll have to look up the symptoms. My heel still feels very awkward and the area where the front of my heel transitions into my arch is still very sore. I am able to do the eliptical pretty well and at PT today I was able to stand on one leg and toss a weighted ball against a trampoline. Honestly, the biggest issue I have is coming off of all the drugs. I was on the Norco for 66 days and had a few bad days of withdrawals but valium helped me get through those. Then after really working my ankle, I started taking the Tramadol. I stopped that over the weekend and the withdrawals are worse than from the Norco. Terrible ache in my legs and have a hard time sleeping. I only took them for about 9 days. From what I understand, the manufacturer markets it as non-addicting but there is growing demand for a lawsuit. It is highly addicting. I'm fortunate and don't have an addictive personality so I just have to deal with the pain of my body acclimating to no more meds.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

That doesn't sound fun. I do have occasional pain in my arch too. Your still very early in recoverey and still healing. Everything will work it's way out. I got my orthotics on Friday and they irritate the lateral side of my foot. Tendon area feels fine. I amazed I can feel crappy one week and much better the next.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Swimbunnie.. I believe that my appointment took about 45 minutes if you don't factor wait time in. Some appointments, I only had to wait 5-10 minutes but for other appointments, I had a 30 minute wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
swimbunnie (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
(male)

Velvetrain - You're 3 weeks ahead of me in recovery. I don't recall, what procedures did you have done? Are you able to work a full day (keep foot down for 8 hours)? I need to fly out to California which will be a 1 hour flight, transfer, and another 3.5 hour flight. I'm a bit nervous about having my leg down that long. I did order compression socks just in case. My foot doesn't swell much anymore unless I'm on it all day. Just a bit worried about the flight and risk of a DVT.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
Veteran
(female)

I just came back from my home in NC to Boston twice now and flying back tommorow. It's a 2 hour and 15 min flight. I was fine both times. I just loosened the aircast a bit while seated when I wore it. I had a tendon transfer, osteotomy, Achilles tendon lengthening, and an implant on the lateral side of my foot. I am sitting here at my MD office now. I am going back to work on Friday. My foot stays down all day with no problems.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
(male)

Interesting. I haven't worn the boot for about a week. I haven't gone to a bar or anything and wouldn't risk it. I'm having a hard time gauging how far along my foot and ankle are. My calf strength is still pathetic and I can't go up on my toes without using the other leg for support. I thought I read somewhere that there is a special shoe we are supposed to wear or some type of other support? I haven't seen my doc since the cast came off.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

I am not sure about a special shoe. I just have custom orthotics at this point. I couldn't do the boot any longer as it aggravated my plantar fascitis. I walk much better in my real shoes. Honestly it just takes a lot of time to recover from this. Start gauging your progress in 2 week increments. When you think you are not making progress you really are. 12 weeks out was when I started to feel better and ditched the last crutch. I don't really have pain per se but soreness.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #27
(male)

What orthotics do you have? The only pain I get when I walk is after about 20 minutes, the lateral side of my heel begins to hurt. It continues to hurt for about 10 minutes after I remove my shoes. The severity does vary though.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

I have something similar but it's just soreness. I'm sore more the days I do therapy. When you really think about it you are still retraining the foot muscles again. They were not used at all during non wb and not nearly as much as they should in the boot. The boot serves it's job but actually hinders you a bit by preventing your foot in doing all the motions it has too during walking.

You will have some discomfort and possibly some pain. If the pain your having doesn't seem right you may want to call your doctor to be on the safe side.

I am wearing custom orthotics and my foot is sore from walking in them. I have to get used to them. Don't worry about single leg raises on the other foot. My foot is still not strong to do that yet. In due time.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #29
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I found out today when I had my first post op visit that I had one additional procedure besides calcaneal osteotomy and FDL transfer, a Lapidus fusion (first metatarsal). This surgical site has been the most painful of the three. Has anyone else had this procedure done as well?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #30
(male)

I have not had that.

I did see my doc for the first time since the cast came off. He took x-rays and said everything looks great. I asked how I was progressing and he said about average. Odd as my therapist wrote in her report that I was making excellent progress and she also told me I was doing much better than expected (at this point). I still can't walk more than 25 minutes straight without pain building up. I have to elevate for about 15 minutes to get it to go away. My leg muscles are very sore as they are getting used to all the work again. I still can't do a heel raise using only my repaired foot, my calf muscle isn't strong enough. I am pleased that I can have my foot down for most of the day with minimal swelling. I did ask when the pad on the bottom of my heel will feel normal again. Doc said it would be another 6 months. Not very happy about that.

Closed Thread