It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
(female)

Lollipop Mom HB User
Re: 82 days post surgery (calcaneal osteotomy, brostrom, gastroc slide)

Can you tell me how painful the surgery is/was? I'm scheduled for this on January 4th. How is the first week post op? I have 4 kids with ages (at that point) from 1 year to 18 years and I want to know how available I will be for them.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had flatfoot reconstruction surgery in August of 2010. I stayed two days at the hospital for pain control. The recovery is a long and sometimes difficult one (but well worth it in the end). At first, you will need to keep your foot really, really elevated (toes above the nose), elevated with very minimal getting up. You will definately need help at first. I was in a splint for two weeks, followed by a cast for 6 weeks. After the cast came off, I graduated to a boot and had to use crutches until I could walk without alot of pain. I believe I was non-weight bearing for a total of 8 weeks. The first couple of days, you will be taking pain pills and probably sleeping alot. I know this sounds discouraging, but in the end it is so worth it. There is a sticky thread dealing with being non-weight bearing following foot surgery. Be sure to read it - it will help you prepare for surgery and give you ideas of what to have on hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Lollipop Mom (11-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #33
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User

I am 5 weeks out of Calcaneal Osteotomy and FDL transfer and totally NWB for another 3 weeks but moving really well on my knee scooter. ( an absolute MUST have) I rented my scooter online. I am the biggest chicken in the world and researched this surgery for 1 year before I committed to it. I was just in horrific pain during the night and was becoming to sedentary from the pain. My Dr. recommended "outpatient" for these procedures....If my nerve block would have worked, it would have been a different story to tell BUT it didn't so I was in "raw pain" for about 4 hours...then I just took 2 Oxy every 3 hours for about 5 days. Again, I am a chicken and my pain threshold is low. When you write....you want to know how available you will be....for the first 4-5 days...you will be out of it most likely. After that you will just be bed bound or couch bound with your toes above your nose so you will be available just not really mobile. There is a great blog on word press if you google pttdfootsurgery.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #34
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

I was completely out of commission for over a week. I had the procedure outpatient on a Monday and was back in the hospital by Wednesday. The nerve block wore off Tuesday night and the pain meds weren't enough. I was on Oxy and Norco. I was in the hospital from Wednesday through the weekend. My situation was not the norm but it does happen. I don't know what the best case scenario is since mine was the worst. I didn't leave my bed until about 8 days post surgery and then I was only moving to the couch. You really need to keep your foot elevated for at least 2 weeks. It helps with the healing process and the pain/swelling control.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #35
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Hello Lurchy24,
I have followed your thread for awhile now as I've been preparing to have PTTD surgery on my right foot and will finally do so in a few months. Tomorrow I go in to see my foot/ankle Orthopedic surgeon for the results of an MRI. She will go over her idea of what surgical procedures she imagines she'll do and let me know about any other important information.
Anyway, I'm interested in asking you about your current situation since I haven't seen you write in a while. Now, that you are almost 9 months post op, what percentage of recovery would you say you are now? 2/3, 75%, 90%? After all of the reading I've done I can see that my situation may be quite variable and unique to my body and surgery, so I'm not interested in really comparing. However, seeing what you went through in the beginning (with the intense pain and pain meds), I was wondering how you have recovered about 9 months later.
Thank you for reading this,
Posttibtend

Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am further out----17 months and doing well. I go about my normal day to day activities pretty much forgetting about my foot. There is some reduced sensation in the top of the foot and a few toes but it is not a big deal....just weird. The main thing is that I got my life back again. At about a year post op, my husband and I went on a vacation to cape cod. We walked about 2 miles plus a day with absolutely no problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
Lollipop Mom (12-14-2011), posttibtend (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #37
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttibtend View Post
Hello Lurchy24,
I have followed your thread for awhile now as I've been preparing to have PTTD surgery on my right foot and will finally do so in a few months. Tomorrow I go in to see my foot/ankle Orthopedic surgeon for the results of an MRI. She will go over her idea of what surgical procedures she imagines she'll do and let me know about any other important information.
Anyway, I'm interested in asking you about your current situation since I haven't seen you write in a while. Now, that you are almost 9 months post op, what percentage of recovery would you say you are now? 2/3, 75%, 90%? After all of the reading I've done I can see that my situation may be quite variable and unique to my body and surgery, so I'm not interested in really comparing. However, seeing what you went through in the beginning (with the intense pain and pain meds), I was wondering how you have recovered about 9 months later.
Thank you for reading this,
Posttibtend
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Holidays....

I would say my foot is about 70%. I get random pain but it is pretty light most of the time. I'm beginning to get more sensation along the lateral side of my foot. When I first get up to move, it is very stiff and I still get burning at the back of my heel and the lateral side where the incision for the osteotomy is. The bottom of my foot is still sensitive if I'm walking on an uneven surface, especially if I step on something. Long walks (over an hour) result in stiffness and additional pain for about a day. Long trips in the car also aggravate it for the rest of the day. I went bowling over the holiday and was very sore the next day. One thing that is very random is that I had to go up a full shoe size. Now I need a 13 for my surgically repaired foot and a 12 for my non-repaired foot. Makes things a bit challenging.

Good luck with your procedure!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lurchy24 For This Useful Post:
posttibtend (01-02-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #38
(male)

I created a new post about this but I will probably get more feedback if I post within an old thread. Looking for thoughts from those of you that have had this procedure.

The lateral part of my ankle is still a bit discolored and my calf muscle is about half its normal size. The dent from the recession is quite prominent. There is a bit of a bump above where the screws were inserted into the back of my heel.

I often get a serious burning pain in the bump mentioned above. It is most prominent when I first start moving after resting for as few as ten minutes. I have had it off an on since the surgery but it has gotten significantly worse over the last month. If I even do light exercise, it is very miserable to try and walk. It does settle down after a while until I rest again. Then it all starts over. My achilles also gets very swollen whenever I do light exercise or spend a few hours on my feet. I also am developing pain in the achilles itself. Additionally, my entire ankle is beginning to feel a bit loose and gets sore much more easily than before. Maybe it's in my head but I don't think so. I also do get some radiating burning pain on the lateral side towards where the incision was made for the osteotomy. I have developed a popping sound in my ankle too. Sometimes, when I start walking down stairs, I get a more severe pain in my achilles.

For others that have had this procedure, any idea if this is common? I'm very worried that my achilles is going to rupture or something else. I really don't need that.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #39
(female)

scooterboot HB User

I have had surgery on my right foot almost a year ago and I still experience similar symptoms. When I rest for any period of time and get up I have stiffness, pain and burning in my foot. The burning is more extreme in the morning before I get out of bed. It seems to dissipate when I walk around but returns when I walk extensively. I tried a stint of Neurotin and I also had my hardware removed but to no avail. I see my ortho doc tomorrow for the last time. I am considering seeing a neurologist. It is frustrating. I am wondering if it is going to be this way for the rest of my life. I am 54 and have had no other medical problems thank God!

Last edited by scooterboot; 05-31-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Closed Thread