It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Question for those with ankle/subtalar fusions

Hi

I am currently 8 weeks post op subtalar fusion, with bone graft from tibia and with screw fixation.

I am still nwb because am also in an external fixator however for the last 2 weeks or so I am getting deep stabbing pains in the back of my ankle, reminiscent of before the surgery.

I guess my question is what pain, if any, have any of you had with a successful fusion or non union?

(In my past experience deep stabbing pains are not good but perhaps they mean something else when a fusion is involved.)

Thanks!
Kim

Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Re: Question for those with ankle/subtalar fusions

I am 8 1/2 months post surgery for subtalar fusion, calf lengthening and PTT transfer/repair. I was NWB for 9 weeks, then gradually with a boot and crutches, boot with no crutches, then in sneakers (back on cruthes for a bit) and then walking nearly without a limp and all of that took about 5 months.

I had a lot of pain at the inscision site of the fusion on the outside of my ankle for several months and on the bottom of the outside of the foot because my foot was fused not quite level to the ground but with the arch raised (and the outside of my foot a little lower). So 8 1/2 months later there is still some ache in both areas. About a month ago the pain started to increase around the heel area and I had the heel screws out a couple weeks ago. I start walking again next week after the stutures come out.

Hopefully it will all be pain free shortly.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatfootDiva For This Useful Post:
unclmikl (06-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Diva,

Thanks for your feedback. Good luck with your healing and I hope we are both pain free and running (ok, I'll settle for walking pain free) soon!

Kim

Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberp View Post
Diva,

Thanks for your feedback. Good luck with your healing and I hope we are both pain free and running (ok, I'll settle for walking pain free) soon!

Kim
Sutures out today, inciscion is sore and my foot hurts a bit all over the outside. But I anxious to get to PT and start moving more normally. Cheers!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good news! Please keep us posted on how your PT progresses!

I saw both of my surgeons yesterday and got copies of my OR notes and learned that when they were doing my subtalar fusion, my subtalar joint didn't move at all, they had a hard time opening it to put in the bone graft, so they said I am not going to miss the motion because I never had it. I thought that was interesting.

They also can't really see mine well because of the external fixator that is on, but confident all should be going well in terms of fusing.

8 more weeks with the fixator... 10 weeks already under my belt but have to deduct 5 weeks due to nerve release surgery which was an unexpected complication 3 weeks after fusion/external fixator was done.

Happy healing! Good luck at PT!
Kim

The Following User Says Thank You to kimberp For This Useful Post:
FlatfootDiva (06-22-2011)
Closed Thread