It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

BrokenCalc HB User
Question Re: Bilateral Calcaneus Fracture

First, I want to thank everyone for their posts here, they really helped me tremendously through this incredible struggle.

I broke my heels on April 17th, both intra-articular fractures with my right heel fractured into many pieces with lateral and medial wall blowouts. At 8 weeks I started full weight bearing, partial weight bearing at 6 weeks. At week 10, I have been cleared to remove one of my fracture boots and am happy to say that I am walking around the house with only moderate pain unassisted by crutches or a walker. In the morning it is the worst, but about 10 minutes into walking the pain gets better. During the day its only a dull achy pain in both ankles, but tolerable.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it is true - the improvement is rapid at first but is also painful. You do need to push yourself. This is one scenario where "no pain, no gain" is very true. Do not be afraid of the pain, it is your friend. Inflamation and swelling is needed to stimulate further healing of the soft tissues. Physical therapy is a must so at the very least you can learn from a professional of what you need to do every day to make progress. Do range of motion exercises EARLY, and stretch the tendons and toes often. Dorsiflex, plantarflex, invert and evert at least 5 times a day. Do exercises like picking up marbles from the floor and putting them into a bucket. These types of exercises help tremendously for when you ultimately start walking. After you are cleared to weight bear, try as hard as possible to walk with normal foot movement. Obviously don't hurt yourself, but the joints, muscles and bones will not want to initially cooperate and you have to shock them into doing work. Shock = pain. You will begin to notice improvement EACH day and will get less painful.

I found that having a laptop or tablet is essential for keeping your sanity while you rest. I found that one way to help with wheel chair transferring skills is to sit on the floor with your back facing the coffee table. Place your hands in back of you on the table and lift yourself up, slowly bringing yourself down. Do this often with as many reps as you can, and it will make you quite strong for lifting yourself around the house (for instance onto the toilet, into a chair or into the tub). If you have Safeway near your residence, they deliver groceries for a small fee. Take advantage of it. Cook large quantities of food so that you can have lots of leftovers for future meals. Do not take any pain relievers other than tylenol (unless directed by a doctor), as they can hinder healing. Drink calcium rich beverages like milk or almond milk daily. Proteins like eggs, meat and nuts are essential for tissue regeneration as well. Carbs are also essential, but eat the good carbs like fiber rich breads and brown rice. Cells need energy. Going through a heel break is a depressing experience and your appetite may leave you - but you MUST EAT, and eat the right things!

I am indebted to you all for the good information here.

Hang in there all! There IS an end to the tunnel. I still have a long road ahead of me, but I am 1000% better than I was even 3 weeks ago.

-BC

Last edited by Administrator; 07-09-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread