It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
(female)

OzarkSquirrel HB User
Tendon Subluxation Questions

Hello.

Ten years ago I injured my ankle in a pool and immediately the tendon begin to pop. The doctor took an x-ray and I was told they were unable to tell if it was fractured but that it was "within normal limits." I was told to see an orthopedic surgeon but without insurance I was unable to do so.

I didn't learn until very recently that what I have is called subluxation and due to my husband's A&P classes I learned the tendon is the extensor digitorum longus.

For ten years every single time my foot has been rotated or moved from side to side the tendon subluxes. (Is that even a word?) I changed the way I walk to try and alleviate the pain and stop the subluxation. Even though I do that, it still subluxes 25% of the time I step. Over the last two years it has gotten much worse. I now have to invert my foot in a very odd manner or else I get a stabbing sensation to the left of the extensor digitorum longus, my ankle gives way and I fall unpleasantly on my face. The pain now runs into the peroneal tendons, the Achilles, and along the EDL several inches up my leg.

It is getting to the point where I am scared to carry my son around for fear that I will accidentally step correctly on my left foot and fall with my baby. That is why I recently sought medical treatment and now have an appointment on Tuesday with a well respected Podiatrist.

I can not find one single occurrence of EDL subluxation. I found one instance in 1980 of a man's EDL completely dislocating which was the only instance of that occurring in English literature, and absolutely nothing on subluxation.

The tendon dislocates to the left toward the outside of my ankle and also to the right toward the inside. It is not only audible but highly visible as well. From my very limited medical knowledge, my husband's A&P books and the Internet it appears that it is dislocating from the area of the highest fork in the Y of the inferior extensor retinaculum. (It does not dislocate around the area of the bottom (toward the toes) fork in the Y. (Did that make any sense?

My questions are: Has anyone else ever had subluxation of the EDL?? Are all tendon subluxation treatments relatively similar? Has anyone ever had a tendon subluxation surgery? If so, how was your recovery and how long had your tendon been subluxating prior to surgery? Is surgery usually what is recommended for chronic cases? What damage can subluxation do if left untreated?

I guess I will get most of these answers on Tuesday but I would really appreciate your information and experiences with this type of problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User
Re: Tendon Subluxation Questions

Hi. I have heard of peroneal subluxation and posterior tibialis (much rarer) subluxation. never heard of EDL. Are you certain it is not your tib post?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
(female)

OzarkSquirrel HB User

From what I can gather of anatomy it would be the EDL and the second doctor I saw agreed. I, however, suppose it might be possible that it would be the bone under the EDL actually dislocating causing the EDL to jump? I am not sure if that is even possible.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
(female)

Mergol HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkSquirrel View Post
Hello.

Ten years ago I injured my ankle in a pool and immediately the tendon begin to pop. The doctor took an x-ray and I was told they were unable to tell if it was fractured but that it was "within normal limits." I was told to see an orthopedic surgeon but without insurance I was unable to do so.

I didn't learn until very recently that what I have is called subluxation and due to my husband's A&P classes I learned the tendon is the extensor digitorum longus.

For ten years every single time my foot has been rotated or moved from side to side the tendon subluxes. (Is that even a word?) I changed the way I walk to try and alleviate the pain and stop the subluxation. Even though I do that, it still subluxes 25% of the time I step. Over the last two years it has gotten much worse. I now have to invert my foot in a very odd manner or else I get a stabbing sensation to the left of the extensor digitorum longus, my ankle gives way and I fall unpleasantly on my face. The pain now runs into the peroneal tendons, the Achilles, and along the EDL several inches up my leg.

It is getting to the point where I am scared to carry my son around for fear that I will accidentally step correctly on my left foot and fall with my baby. That is why I recently sought medical treatment and now have an appointment on Tuesday with a well respected Podiatrist.

I can not find one single occurrence of EDL subluxation. I found one instance in 1980 of a man's EDL completely dislocating which was the only instance of that occurring in English literature, and absolutely nothing on subluxation.

The tendon dislocates to the left toward the outside of my ankle and also to the right toward the inside. It is not only audible but highly visible as well. From my very limited medical knowledge, my husband's A&P books and the Internet it appears that it is dislocating from the area of the highest fork in the Y of the inferior extensor retinaculum. (It does not dislocate around the area of the bottom (toward the toes) fork in the Y. (Did that make any sense?

My questions are: Has anyone else ever had subluxation of the EDL?? Are all tendon subluxation treatments relatively similar? Has anyone ever had a tendon subluxation surgery? If so, how was your recovery and how long had your tendon been subluxating prior to surgery? Is surgery usually what is recommended for chronic cases? What damage can subluxation do if left untreated?

I guess I will get most of these answers on Tuesday but I would really appreciate your
information and experiences with this type of problem.
\\

I'm interested to hear how you made out...treatment? success?
my daughter (15) was recently diagnosed w/this via ultrasound (it was clearly visible.) She dances on a competition team, and has had a few injuries including a very bad bursitis in her hip, as well as fibular stress fracture. While she's not in horrible pain at this time, and has danced on it for a while, it is bad enough to warrant attention.

Her sports medicine Dr. said this particular tendon subluxation is rare and she consulted w/her peers across the country, and found only one other documented case...sigh. To begin, she has my daughter in a boot to immobilize her ankle for 2 weeks, and she just had an MRI but we haven't yet received the results. Unfortunately the boot doesn't seem to have made a difference after 10 days, so I'm wondering what the next step is.

I've been researching on the internet, but the information is limited. I am hoping that some kind of conservative treatment will do the trick, and am concerned that surgery may be recommended, although am not sure just what a surgical intervention would mean since I am having trouble "wrapping my head around" the ankle anatomy, even with pictures.

Again, I'm interested in hearing about your experience, although know that no 2 people are the same.

Thanks.

Closed Thread