It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

traintracks HB User
Should I have a second ankle arthroscopy??

Sorry this is so long :S feel free to just skip to the question!

I sprained my left ankle exactly one year ago (July, 2010). After poor response to physiotherapy, I was referred to a sports doctor who gave me 2 cortisone injections. When that didn't solve things she sent me to a surgeon and I had an arthroscopy in Feb, 2011. He found significant fibrosis across the anterolateral pole of the talus, a large Bassett's ligament and a meniscoid lesion running into the lateral gutter and also quite significant fibrosis in the posterior fossa. All of this was cleared and such that here was no impingement.

Since the surgery I have followed recovery instructions perfectly. I have been having physiotherapy ever since and very slowly loading up the joint with cycling and running. I have also had another 2 cortisone injections (did nothing). Again, my ankle has made very slow progress. At the moment I'm doing more and more running and cycling to test what it can handle. Most of the time it's fine, ocassionally it get's a little sore and I just ice it. It is also quite stiff most mornings and sometimes it "catches" when I accidentally move my ankle at a particular angle. I haven't got full ROM with plantar and dorseflexion. My sports doctor is sending me back to the surgeon again (as she suspects some scar tissue has grown back) to discuss a 2nd scope. (seeing him tomorrow)

I'm a student. In the last year i have spent over $8000 on this ankle. I would have to drop out of uni to fund a 2nd scope. It's also drastically affected my mood as I love exercise so much and rely on it to keep my mood under control. I am utterly terrified. Terrified it won't work, or it will make it worse, or the scar tissue will come back again. Even though I can walk and run on it, and I know that's something to be grateful for, I just dont know whether a 2nd scope could get it back to normal (eventually to do a half marathon on it).

Anyone had a 2nd scope? Or any similar experiences? Please share your success or horror stories, and I would appreciate your opinion on my situation too! thanks

Last edited by traintracks; 07-25-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Should I have a second ankle arthroscopy??

Okay, first of all, don't have any more cortisone injections. You've already had four in a single year, any more and it could start weakening the ligaments.

You might want to have an arthrogram or an MRI with contrast. (MRI without contrast sometimes doesn't detect soft-tissue impingement). See what exactly is going on in there, before you make a decision about surgery.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

traintracks HB User
Re: Should I have a second ankle arthroscopy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Okay, first of all, don't have any more cortisone injections. You've already had four in a single year, any more and it could start weakening the ligaments.

You might want to have an arthrogram or an MRI with contrast. (MRI without contrast sometimes doesn't detect soft-tissue impingement). See what exactly is going on in there, before you make a decision about surgery.
No, definitely not having any more cortisone, we've established that they're not doing anything.

I'm seeing the surgeon in a few hours so hopefully he will suggest an arthrogram, if not I will ask about it.

Thank you for replying

Closed Thread