It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

NotSoGirly HB User
Question Things to do after ankle/foot surgery? :(

Hello everyone. The last time I posted, I got some really great feed back and I'm hoping to have that same experience again.
I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle on July 15th. Prior to that, I was a very independent 24 year old college senior, living in my own apartment with my cat, and spending time with my friends. Since the surgery, I've been at my parents house which is about 90mins away from my apartment. I have zero friends here, can't drive, and have to rely on my parents for literally everything.
It has gotten to the point that I am at my wits end. My friends who made plans to visit me have canceled, the only two people I see on a regular basis are my mom and dad, and I am literally stuck inside all day long because i am unable to get outside with out assistance. At this point, all my parents seem to do is point out what I am doing wrong, whether it's not putting something away, my cat's food smelling, you name it. And what's worse, they are constantly commenting on my weight, and how i really do need to loose weight.
I just feel so discouraged. Yeah, my ankle's doing better. The stitches came out fine, and my OS put me in an air cast instead of a regular cast because I was over the other one, but still. I talk to no one, I have nothing to do [aside from precalculus course work but the is only so much of that you can do in one day], I can't go anywhere, I have nothing to look forward to, and I have no way of escaping this.
And on top of all of that, I'm not sleeping. I don't mean I go to bed and wake up every few hours, I literally do not sleep. It's almost happening every other night now. I've tried to take melatonin supplements and that's not even helping.
I'm just so desperate at this point, I don't know where to turn.
Thanks for listening
Courtney

The following user gives a hug of support to NotSoGirly:
swimbunnie (08-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: Things to do after ankle/foot surgery? :(

I know how you feel. I had surgery June 1st and live alone. I was just about batty the first few weeks. I found it helped me a lot to start the day with a plan of what I wanted to do. Eann has some great suggestions. I've been reading, downloaded some movies, journaling, exercising with small weights, and cleaning out clutter. I've been trying out new recipes, learning how to cook. I've also been able to learn how to just simply relax and enjoy the weather from my front porch, which was as far as I could go for several weeks. I've always been one who always had to be busy so this was no small feat for me. My sleeping is affected by the pain sometimes and I've taken an over the counter sleep aid which has helped. This stage can be difficult, but know it will soon pass. I'm 9 weeks post op and now am able to amble around enough to take care of my small farm on an every other day basis. Wishing you peace, Bunnie

Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
(female)

NotSoGirly HB User

You do have some good suggestions. The only issue with the sleeping aspect is, I take meds every day and most Rx sleep aids interfeer with my meds. Plus, I have really bad allergies and at this point, even when I go to the ER for an allergic reaction the antihistimine they give me doesn't make me the least bit sleepy. I have a black cat named abby who i love to peaces. Just wish some day's she could hug back

Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It might help if your parents had a better understanding of the situation. Do they think you are just being "lazy" lying on the couch all day instead of running around on crutches? Maybe they don't realize how much being vertical increases the pain and swelling.

Plus, I'm sure you've lost weight already. Everybody loses weight in the couple weeks after surgery.

In the meantime, is it possible for you to get out of the house at all? Maybe there's a church group nearby that can get you on an outing. Are you communicating with your friends in some fashion?

And, of course, there's always the fiber arts. (Knitting!)

Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
(male)

rczcraze HB User

Sorry to hear that, here's a funny. I am to have ankle surgery in a couple weeks and am supposed to teach Pre-Cal this year. Not sure which is worse teaching it or taking it. I personnaly have not done either yet, skipped it in college and this is my first year teaching, should be fun. Keep a positive attitude remember you are already feeling a little better, so your escape is comming The replies above mine have given great ideas. Thank you and to all those replies. I will be taking all the advice given soon. Good luck

Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
(male)

LivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB User

I watched several movies through NetFlix, both DVD-by-mail and streaming. Also took some online German language lessons, free at the LiveMocha web site. (They offer other languages too.) Spent a lot of time on car-related web sites, learning about car maintenance and answering other members' questions, since I couldn't drive or work on my own car. If I used Facebook, I'm sure I would have spent hours and hours there, but I try to ignore my Facebook account most of the time.

None of this helps with allergies or getting out of the house though. Once my bandage came off and stitches came out, I went swimming (arms only). You might be able to do knee pushups or rear dips, where you put your hands on a chair or stair edge behind you, but that would either require putting some weight on the back of your heel or holding one leg in the air. Could also try crunches where you lie on your back and put legs up on a footrest or sofa (possibly remove cushions).

I think most of my friends would not drive 90 minutes to visit me, or maybe would visit just once, though most of them live more than 90 minutes away anyway. Could you arrange lunch, dinner, or movie with some friends and have your parents drop you off, go shopping or eat elsewhere, then pick you up later? If you do this ideally you'd want a way to put your leg up while riding in the car and at the restaurant, to avoid swelling.

The following user gives a hug of support to LivesNearStore:
NotSoGirly (08-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to LivesNearStore For This Useful Post:
NotSoGirly (08-03-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Hang in there Courtney! This time will pass!

Everyone has given good suggestions...also...you can hang out here on the foot boards...you will see that you are right on track. I thought I was going crazy. I spent almost all of week 3 crying and feeling utterly useless and like a nothing! I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow...and I still sometimes cry. Not like i did at first. There is just a lot of frustration with this surgery. I did a lot of reading...all kinds of books, watched movies, crocheted!!, re-did my resume... And yes, sometimes all of the sitting around gets to be to much. Just remember it will pass and this is part of the healing.

Take care!

Closed Thread