It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Almost 14 weeks out!!

Hello! I had my almost 14 week out check up today! I can wear tennis shoes now! (if the foot does swell to much) He still wants me to take it easy and then I go back in 6 more weeks. But, it is healing good! I had to push...and he'll let me go onsite to work for 2-4 hours a day. For the next 6 weeks. I never thought it would be this long getting back onsite. He'd prefer I stay home...but he'll let me see how I do with that. Now, I'm kind of nervous. He also told me to take my wheel about and to use that to get in the building to my desk...about 1/4 a mile. Then to use a crutch to get coffee and the bathrooms. I'm kind of embarrassed going back with a wheel about, crutch, pillows and I can walk. Not gracefully nor far...but still..embarrassing...but I'll live with it.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Almost 14 weeks out!!

That is great news. I am sure that everyone will understand it if you have the knee walker and have to take it slow. Could you start the first week going in two 2 or 3 hour days and then if you are up to it increase to three days the following week?

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
adbow (08-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Thanks Roxy!
I'm going in tomorrow for 2-4 hours...I have to meet with my supervisor, manager, HR and security. I guess since my office is on the second floor there poses a security issue if there is a fire...since I can't do the stairs and the elevators would be out. There are thousands of people there...like probably close to 6K. So, I don't need trampled...and I would have to wait in a stairwell...and the fire department would come carry me out. Great...
But I'm going in tomorrow...and then Friday and Monday (since it's month end and those are a good 12+ work hour days) I'll work those from home. But that is a good idea to try 2-3 days a week going back.
Do you think it will really take me 6 weeks to get my strength back up? I had my foot down for 5 hours this morning...and I'm wiped out right now.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Honestly, I never would have been able to go back to work full time at 14 weeks. I did go back at 20 weeks and limited the amount of walking. It was manageable but I was exhausted by the end of the day. I would fall asleep by 9:00 pm the first week or two

Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I do think you are on your feet more than I am though. I work at electronic memory chip manufacturer - as a cost accountant. So, aside from getting in to my desk...and to the bathrooms or coffee room - I sit. It will be exhausting just getting in and settled in. But at some point...I need to jump in and do it.

Thanks!

Oh...and I asked my doc about PT. He said he won't talk about it until the next visit - at 20 weeks. He said he likes me to heal really good...and to give my body a chance to get over the trauma.

The following user gives a hug of support to adbow:
swimbunnie (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Good luck tomorrow and take it easy. I head to nyc tomorrow for my 10 week checkup a little early (9 weeks today). Hoping to get pass for fwb with boot and maybe driving. Although since its my right foot, not sure I'll get the latter till I'm out of the boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
adbow (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
(female)

Thanks Swimbunnie! And good luck to you tomorrow! Yeah, with it being your right foot...in a boot....that might be hard to drive with. Mine is my left foot. hahhah...and I'm nervous about my commute tomorrow morning...40-50 minutes to get there!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Adbow: that is great news. Just take it slow and do NOT push to hard. You have already been through alot to get to this point. I did not not go back until 16 weeks and that was difficult. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
adbow (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
(female)

Thanks MissyLuke.

I'm really nervous about tomorrow. For one thing...it's my first time in almost 14 weeks driving more than 5 miles.. I'm glad that it will only be for 2-4 hours and that I won't be going in friday nor monday.
It's hard not to push...but then I want this heal up good. Once I get to my desk I should be okay...and I'm going to pass on meetings for a long time. Most of them are quite a hike to get to.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
(female)

coKar HB UsercoKar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbunnie View Post
Good luck tomorrow and take it easy. I head to nyc tomorrow for my 10 week checkup a little early (9 weeks today). Hoping to get pass for fwb with boot and maybe driving. Although since its my right foot, not sure I'll get the latter till I'm out of the boot.

Swimbunnie, I was given the okay to drive at 8.5 weeks. I am PWB in boot with crutches. It is my right foot also. My surgeon pushed very hard on my foot to give me confidence that I could slam on the brakes. I keep a "clog" in my car that I put my foot into. It is very cushioned. I was desperate to drive. I was losing my mind!! I'm 10 weeks today and still feels like I'm walking on a grill. Wow, is this ever a frustrating procedure. I just got a new job and start on Monday full time. It is a desk job, so I plan on using my crutches but will take my knee roller with me since I can elevate my foot okay on it.

Good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to coKar:
swimbunnie (08-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to coKar For This Useful Post:
swimbunnie (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
(female)

cokar! Congrats on the new job!!

Just remember to take it easy though! It wasn't until around week 12 that mine didn't hurt as much... Are you rubbing it to desensitize the foot? That seemed to help with mine...and keeping the swelling out of it!~

Closed Thread