It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
Fibial Sesamoid removal

Anyone have a fibial sesamoid removed after a bunionectomy and 1stp MTP fusion? Still suffering in pain after these surgeries and considering getting the painful fibial sesamoid removed. Nothing is working; orthotics, rocker shoes, rest (unless I never use my feet), cortisone shot. I have no life - cannot stand or walk for any period of time. If anyone has ANY suggestions, please respond. The sesamoid has to be removed thru the bottom of the foot as to not disturb the fusion. I can't go on living (if that is what you call this) like this. Very painful to walk and stand. Need help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Fibial Sesamoid removal

Hey Chubstercat, I remember you from when I had surgery 3 yrs. ago last May. I'm not sure if my info will be helpful, but I think it may be. I saw my podiatrist a year after bunion surgery, to examine my other foot. My Doc mentioned how great my post-surgery foot looked/worked, and I agreed. He mentioned he had removed one of the sesamoid bones during surgery, which he said he routinely does to help big toe recovery and for comfort. I'm sorry to say I don't know which sesamoid bone he removed (I believe there are two) but I hope my story will give you some encouragement. My original surgery was a bunionectomy on both sides of my right foot. I'm doing great, and planning to have the other foot done (same procedure with possible addition of another procedure to fix the darn arthritis in the big toe) next summer. I hope your surgery will be the one that does the trick and relieves the pain. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
Re: Fibial Sesamoid removal

Thanks for responding. Maybe the podiatrist who did my original surgery was supposed to take the sesamoid out but he didn't. I am glad that things worked out for you. Yes, there are 2 sesamoid bones, the fibial and tibial. I am going to ask the doc alot of questions on next visit before deciding on removal.

Closed Thread