It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
When did you get permission to drive after pttd surgery?

I had a post op check up today, 9 weeks out from surgery. I'm allowed to start fwb next week and start pt but no driving yet (its my right foot) Next check up appointment is 5 weeks out, school starts up in 4 weeks. When I was talking to Dr. he suggested I come back just prior to start of school, but there were no appointment times available. His assistant suggested I might be able to get go ahead if I'm doing well with pt and they inform him of progress. Curious if anyone here has been in a similar situation where Dr. allowed driving w/o seeing you, based on pt report?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: When did you get permission to drive after pttd surgery?

Could you ask to be put on a wait list? I doubt that the doctor will clear you to drive without seeing you. Once he clears you, if it turns out you are not ready and get into an accident because you are unable to hit the brakes suddenly, he may be liable. He also doesn't want to take the chance that you will damage the repair work he did. Your doctor (and mine) is conservative but that is fine with me considering my great outcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

That's a thought, thanks Roxy. I am very pleased at where I'm at, at this point. I can keep my foot down most of the day with only minimal swelling or discomfort....so Dr.'s orders are best to be followed. I'm also going to see if I can commute to work with somebody to cover my bases in case I can't get in for an earlier check up. Now I have to figure out a way to pt that won't break my bank.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Does your insurance cover pt? He had me go to pt NWB to improve range of motion of the big toe and ankle right after the cast came off. I couln't move the big toe and when he tried to move it, I almost hit the ceiling. Once I was weight bearing and in a shoe, he stopped pt. Maybe you can do pt only once a week and do home exercises to make it more affordable. At one year post op, I am able to walk over a mile with no foot pain.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

PT is covered, transportation there is not....and I live in the woods...., being far from everything has its good and bad.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
(female)

Twix HB UserTwix HB UserTwix HB User

I'm in the same boat as you- had surgery 9 weeks ago and had a check up today. He actually cleared me to drive today, although in my case I'm personally not comfortable with that yet. I don't think it could hurt at least asking your doctor if he'd consider allowing you to drive based on the pt report.. the worst he can say is no!

The Following User Says Thank You to Twix For This Useful Post:
swimbunnie (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I was post op knee surgery on my right knee, I couln't drive. I contacted the county. I believe it was office of the aging but I am not sure. They provided free transportation to and from pt. Call a local pt and they will be able to provide you with the phone number.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

My friend said monmouth county took her husband back and forth too. Well I called ocean county today and they won't provide transportation b/c I'm not collecting SS disability, nor do I make the age. It would be nice if the counties were consistent.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

The first time I called I spoke to someone who said I was to young. I called a few days later and spoke to a different person. This one said that I had to have my doctor complete a form saying that I was temporarily disabled. I only had private disabiliy insurance and was about 50. Maybe you could call again and ask again.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks Roxy, but this actually was my second time. I called several months back before surgery and got the same answer. I'm gonna see if my nephew can help me out before he heads back to school and maybe by then I can drive.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess things do vary from county to county. I hope things work out. The main thing is that you are on the mend

Closed Thread