It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

Lilsunshine17 HB User
PTTD plus peroneal tendonits? Surgery??

Hi all- Have been dealing with bilateral pttd for three months now.. three weeks after coming out of the boot and into Physical therapy, ended up with lateral ankle pain that doc said is peroneal tendonitis.. I am in the cam boot again for 4 weeks until the Arizona braces are made. Just want to know if damaging the peroneals is normal this early with PTTD. I can still do a heel raise, and inner ankle pain/ burning has gotten better, but had enough pain on outside of ankle and "locking" when going down stairs and walking that I ended up seeing the doc as I thought I should have been feeling better.. not WORSE than when this started.. Did anyone else go through this?? Could the PTTD be progressing.. THIS soon? Thanks-

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: PTTD plus peroneal tendonits? Surgery??

I had ptt which did progress. Eventually, I would get a sharp pain along the posteriar tibial tendon and into the arch after taking about 10 steps even when wearing an arizona brace. Finally, my foot pancaked and when I stood, the ankle was starting to collapse towards the floor. I ended up going to a doctor in NYC that specializes in pttd. I am now one year post op extensive reconstructive surgery and I am doing so well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I sprained medial ankle April 2010. Aircast, then physical therapy through summer didn't help prevent tear and collapse of arch in September. (I'm on my feet too much and was about 100 lbs. heavier than now) I got an AFO brace and lost the weight, but it didn't improve and I had surgery the beginning of June. Yes, it can progress fast and if you ate going to have surgery, I strongly suggest HSS like Roxy and I did. We didn't have same doctors, but its worth going to someone who deals with this regularly rather than only a few a year. I can't believe how good my foot is doing 9 weeks out.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

Lilsunshine17 HB User

First of all- thank you for your quick replys! My former podiatrist said that most people he has seen are not happy that they chose surgery, but, I have been reading a lot of posts on here, and a lot of people are thrilled at how wonderful they feel one year to 18 months.. even seven years.. out! I am awaiting an appointment at HSS.. It was only this week that I was lucky to find a doc in Philly who thought I was bad enough to order the Arizonas.. everyone else had said to stick with the custom orthodics.. or just "rest" for a few more weeks, then jump into my old shoes!!! (I previously had a high arch). So frustrating that there wasn't a standard protocol as there was with.. every other injury I have had!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Using the right doctor increases the chances that you will have a good outcome. The doctor that I used in NYC does 3-5 flat foot surgeries a week, is widely published and is actively involved in ongoing flat foot clinical trials. Most doctors do a few flat foot surgeries a year.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Although recovery for this surgery is long and yes, at times, difficult. But in the end it is so worth it. The pain you have now will be gone. One of the biggest decisions you can make now is to choose the right doctor. You have to feel comfortable with him/her and trust them. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lilsunshine which doctor are you going to see at HSS?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

Lilsunshine17 HB User

Thanks again for the encouragements and positive stories! I have an appt. with Dr. Deland at HSS, Roxygirl.. I'm waiting for my Arizonas to be made. If the Arizona brace works, that's terrific, but, even in the cam walker boot, and while wearing the custom orthodics, my ankles had started to 'lock up'- something is impinging in there- which prevents me from walking down stairs.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I also had an Arizona brace which did help for two or three months and then even with the brace, I was in pain just walking from one room of the house to another. Hopefully the brace will allow you to do a bit more until you see Dr. Deland

Closed Thread