It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

Kita Mama HB User
New and Nervous

I stumbled on this board this week and I think I have read just about every thread and have found all the information to be extremely useful.

I had surgery on my right foot about 15 years ago to remove bone spurs and clean up the little toe. I swore after that nightmare that I would not see another foot dr until I could no longer walk. Well guess what that moment has finally come.

My left foot has been giving me problems for around 3 years and I've always been able to control it with choosing the proper shoes, taking it easy when it bothered me, icing it and elevating when necessary, but that is no longer helping.

Its my big toe, it hurts every time I take a step and bend it. It started out only bothering me right at the joint now it seems to have spread to hurting/aching all the time at the joint, on the top of my foot and when its getting really bad even on the bottom of my foot. There is swelling, not a tremendous amount but enough that I have been icing it every night, elevating it and taking anti-inflammatories. After a week of this it is a bit better.

I have an appt on Monday and I'm just wondering what to expect.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: New and Nervous

Well, there will probably be an x-ray.

It may find that you have osteoarthritis in that joint, and if so, the doctor may want to perform surgery on it. The joint can be replaced or fused, or possibly cleaned out, if arthritis is still early.

Or, the pain may have another cause, such as gout. Gout is best treated with medications and lifestyle changes.

In any case, if the doctor suggests surgery, get plenty of information before you make a decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread