It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Hypermobility and PTTD?

Along with my diagnosis for PTTD came a diagnosis for hypermobility. The first question the ortho asked me was if I could touch my thumb to my wrist. I immediately demonstrated that I could and he said that I was "hypermoble." Then he said I have PTTD and showed me my x-rays and how my bones had shifted due to the lost of support from that tendon.

I didn't think much about the "hypermoble" comments until I was in the car driving home that day. Then it dawned on me that I really should have asked him more about this and the connection to my new foot issue. I immediately got onto the web to research it and the literature I found made a ton of sense as I had had a couple of years with lots of tendon problems (PTTD, shoulder issues, repetitive stress injuries, PF in my heel, neck pain/headaches, tennis elbows, and general fibromyalgia.) My chiropractors and massage therapists over the years have also told me I was hypermoble, but it never ever clicked with me how that has any bearing on anything else until that Dr. connected it to my PTTD.

The literature on the web, from what I understood, summed it up best that to be "hypermoble" is to have your joints allow you to bend further than your muscles and tendons can take. People who are hypermoble tend to be more susceptible to muscle and tendon injuries as well as repetitive stress injuries especially as they age.

I am just curious, how many folks with PTTD also are "hypermoble?"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: Hypermobility and PTTD?

I'm definitely hypermobile. I've had ACL reconstruction on both knees, among other things because of it. it was great for swimming butterfly back in my competitive days but I've had shoulder and hip problems due to it too. Not sure if my pttd is due to it, but maybe. I actually have a natural good arch when my feet are off the ground, but they always pronated some. I sprained the inside of my ankle to begin my problem and between my RA and being on my feet a lot the tendon was totally shot by the time I had surgery. Maybe if I didn't have the laxity to begin with, I wouldn't have sprained my ankle in a way only 10% of ankle sprains go, from the inside.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

Lilsunshine17 HB User

Wow! I just posted something on this, and your thread popped up in the 'list' at the bottom.. I have hypermobility issues (can touch my thumb to my arm) but have seen much worse in life. I have shoulder issues, dislocated an elbow, knees are wobbly unless I work out.. and now PTTD.. and peroneal tendonitis and achilles tendoinitis. Been told that I can't have PTTD surgery because of this- it will apparently come 'undone' in time and not address all of the tendonitis in my foot.

I see that you had the all american procedure- Did it quiet down all of the tendonitis in your foot? ..once your foot was finally in the 'correct' position??

Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I suspect I am hypermobile as well. When you say touch your thumb to your wrist/arm, do you mean bending it all the way back to do this or all the way down? Like down towards the inside of the wrist/arm or back to the outside of the wrist/arm? I can do it down, but not back. However, I can bend all my fingers BACK till they form an upside down V. I was a gymnast when I was younger and I had all kinds of hypermobile moves! I haven't had a ton of injuries though. Tendinitis once in my wrist, multiple sprains on my left ankle with a Brostrom procedure, PF in both feet (but treated easily with 1 cortisone shot each and never recurred). Currently, my OS thinks I have peroneal tendinitis and a possible tear and my ligaments are lax again. I'm wondering if I have general ligament laxity due to being hypermobile? My feet do pronate, but I haven't had any inside ankle/PTT issues.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

Hollywood48: When the Dr. asked me about my thumb to my wrist I bent my thumb down to the inside to touch the wrist. He didn't say anything, but I assumed that was the way he wanted me to bend it.

Lilsunshine17: I'm still having pain in my foot even though it is in the "correct" position now anatomically. My surgeon is still watching my recovery though and am seeing him every 3 months to check on the pain I still have which feels like tendons to me. Unfortunately, I've learned from this list that it will be about a year until everything settles down, so I doubt he will do anything for my current pain until then to be sure I'm not still healing from the surgery.

Thank you for your interesting stories. I was very curious about the link of hypermobility and this injury.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

I'm definitely hypermobile too though I never heard the term until it came up via PTTD. (I just heard 'flexible' - and it wasn't until I saw 'hypermobile' pictures online that I realized that a lot of the stuff I can do is 'abnormal').

I recently started reading about hypermobility and began to understand why some 'normal' yoga postures are painful (such as 'reverse plank' - because my knees start bending the wrong way - with the added pressure of my weight.) It also sparked a light bulb of several injuries I have had and how they now make sense...possibly including PTTD - I think that's a good question about hypermobility possibly predisposing one to PTTD. It makes sense for those who have stretched out their tendon - if you're more stretchy to begin with...

Last edited by lola456; 11-26-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
(female)

Yes lola456...that was my experience, too. Lots of other "injuries" and diagnosis I've gotten now made sense, too. It also makes me more careful how I move now to avoid injuries in the future.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Same here. After all, how does one manage to tear both ACLs in the knees without any involvement in contact sports?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: swimbunnie
lightstepper (11-27-2011), lola456 (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

I'm glad you brought this up (and Lilsunshine17 bumped it). I need to follow in your footsteps and start being more careful and remember that just because I can stretch this way and that...some parts are more of a one-way Gumby (e.g. the PTT)...and once at full stretch (which we attain effortlessly), it can go nowhere but tear (e.g. swimbunnie's ACLs).

Closed Thread