It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

Twix HB UserTwix HB UserTwix HB User
Cute shoes after surgery..?

Hello! I'm 19 years old and had flat foot reconstruction on my right foot on June 1st. Once I'm able to fully weight bear in my boot, the doc said i should move on to wearing an aircast with tennis shoes (and even when I'm done with aircast he'll want me wearing tennis shoes). I'm going back to college soon and I may sound vain, but the idea of wearing really athletic looking shoes with cute outfits kind of embarrasses me. So.. any ideas of cute tennis shoes that I could wear but still good enough so that the doc won't yell? I know this seems like such a silly thread but it IS something that's giving me a bit of anxiety. I'm hoping someone on this board has been in this predicament and could give me some good advice! D :

Old 08-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Cute shoes after surgery..?

I am one year after a successful flat foot surgery. Honestly, your last concern at this point in your recovery, your last concern should be the look of your shoes. The last thing you want to do is wear shoes that will undo the benefits of the surgery. Believe me, I would love to wear all the cute shoes but in the end, my ability to walk is a lot more important than the shoes I wear. I am older than you which may also be a factor in my outlook. I suspect that I would have felt the same way you feel when I was in college. Find a shoe store with people who really know how to fit your foot and give you a shoe that will provide adequate support for your "new" foot. A shoe store with a pedorthist on staff would be best

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

*sigh* I know you're right and I keep telling myself the same thing. It's just that college kids can be SO judgmental! I'm hoping there's a happy medium between style and the proper support. I've even thought about putting a pair of proper insoles inside of a cute tennis shoe. But in the end, I'll end up doing what's best for the foot, even if if does end up making me a bit self conscious.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Even custom orthotics in a non supportive pair of shoes will not work. If you go to a good store with professional fitters...not department stores you may be able to find a shoe that will not be that bad looking. If you deal with a cped (pedorthist) in a shoe store, they can also make modifications to shoes so you may be able to get a pair or two that you can live with.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the advice! I know it seems silly but this is a topic that has been on the back of my mind ever since I realized how close school is to starting back up. I'll definitely try to find something I can live with at a good store.

The following user gives a hug of support to Twix:
swimbunnie (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

[QUOTE=Twix;4816868]Thanks for the advice! I know it seems silly but this is a topic that has been on the back of my mind ever since I realized how close school is to starting back up. I'll definitely try to find something I can live with at a good store.[/QUOTE]

Supportive shoes have come a long way. Hopefully you'll find something to suit both recovery and style. You are at the same point in recovery as I am, but I'll still be in a boot for several weeks once the school year starts (I'm the teacher). Will you be in regular shoes by then?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

I could be out of the boot right now if I could fully weight bear comfortably. I think my doc is hoping I can get to that level within the next week. Once I hit that point, then I can switch to tennis shoes and an aircast for about 4 weeks. I'll move back to my dorm on August 28th so I think I'd probably be in the aircast for a week or two after that, and then hopefully I can move on to wearing just tennis shoes. I just wish my doc had been more specific with telling me exactly what type would be best for me! All he said was "tennis shoes".
I hope your recovery is going smoothly!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Thanks, my recovery is going well. Every doc has a different protocol and I am a bit older, so I think that one reason I'm still in true boot for awhile. As for shoes, you should ask doc to be specific...does he mean lace up shoes or what. Maybe you can ask him to recommend a brand.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Brands, PW Minor (sporty), Think! (dressy), Dansko to name a few of my favorites.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I also have pw minor. Aravon (subdivision of New Balance) also have some decent shoes

Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

[QUOTE=Twix;4816814]Hello! I'm 19 years old and had flat foot reconstruction on my right foot on June 1st. Once I'm able to fully weight bear in my boot, the doc said i should move on to wearing an aircast with tennis shoes (and even when I'm done with aircast he'll want me wearing tennis shoes). I'm going back to college soon and I may sound vain, but the idea of wearing really athletic looking shoes with cute outfits kind of embarrasses me. So.. any ideas of cute tennis shoes that I could wear but still good enough so that the doc won't yell? I know this seems like such a silly thread but it IS something that's giving me a bit of anxiety. I'm hoping someone on this board has been in this predicament and could give me some good advice! D :[/QUOTE]

Hi, I had the same surgery. I have had soooooo many compliments on the pair of tennis shoes that I'm wearing. They are Nikes & are black with hot pink trim. The Nike logo is in hot pink. The tongue of the shoe & the laces are in the same hot pink.

I do realize that doesn't answer your question of NOT wearing tennis shoes. Just want you to be aware that there are some fun yet supportive tennis shoes.

Hugs, Zoey's Grammy

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
(female)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Closed Thread