It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User
Unhappy Calcaneal osteotomy screw question

Hi all,
I know that this issue has been discussed many times, but after doing a search, I could not find find the exact information I am looking for. My son is around 39 wks post op and had been doing very well until 4 wks ago when he ramped up his skating.At the end of the week, his medial ankle area,shin and lateral ankle area were sore.Fearing stress fractures and/or some other damage, he stopped skating, saw an OS and had an MRI. MRI results came back yesterday all clear other than the expected post surgical changes.

While he still has some mild soreness, he notices more on the osteotomy side-sort of to the left of the incision scar, but not exactly in the back. It is rather hard to pinpoint the exact area, put pressing his foot down he can feel this pain which he describes different from the soreness he had previously felt in the peroneal tendons. I am wondering if the screw could be causing this issue? I guess the clinical exam would be able to answer this question, but the sensation was not as clear as when he saw the doctor.
Sorry for the long winded description, but I would like to know if those who had screw pain felt it directly in the back of the heel or as a more diffuse sensation. Was your doctor able to absolutely confirm that the pain was generated by the screw? There is nothing in the MRI that suggests anything particular is amiss as all tendons and ligaments are normal.

I welcome all and any comments

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Calcaneal osteotomy screw question

Hello indaslot,

I had 2 screws in my heel and one in the outside of my foot. When I stepped down barefoot, I could definetely feel the heel screws. I had more joint pain from the one on the side of my foot. I have tried to attach a copy of one of my x-rays so you can see if they are in the same position as your son's. I had them removed about 3 weeks ago and my foot feels so much more comfortable. Maybe he needs to consider having them out? Then he would know. It is much less of a procedure to get them out than to have them put in!

Good luck to you and your son.

The Following User Says Thank You to lightstepper For This Useful Post:
indaslot (08-06-2011)
Closed Thread