It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
(male)

Alotofmath HB User
Foot size, Physical therapy

Hi,
I just got in a walking boot, and am supposed to start to bear weight next week, after a heel fracture.

I checked some of the posts here, and some were doing physical therapy right as they started walking, things like water therapy...I haven't started any...can or should I initiate this, or should I wait for my surgeon to mention it? I would like to get in the best shape as possible...but, it's still early days.

Also, now that I can see my foot more regularly, I notice it is huge...I'm at about 8 weeks...is that the size my foot will be from now on? I am not sure about socks and footwear...

Finally, I have to change the dressing on my foot for a week or so...my incision is nearly healed, just a small spot that is not. I went in on a Friday at 4:00 to the surgeons', so everyone was ready to go home, and I left and realized no one explained to me how to change the dressing...I can call on Monday, but has anyone done this before.

I apologize, too, for all my complaining early on...a good friend of mine (an adopted mother, in some ways) has had about 5 eye surgeries this past year...she told my ex-wife, the way he is worrying about this surgery is not helping him...(yes, I am best friends with my ex-wife..but that's another story).

Thank you for your encouragement...I appreciate it...this group has been great...although, I wish I could have beaten back the bad feelings early on..the summer needn't have been so long if I studied and worked...or did something useful...

4 weeks to go, I think...then I'll be at 12 weeks...

Michael (alotofmath)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Foot size, Physical therapy

Hi Alotofmath,

Congrats on your progress!!

When I got my cast off, I couldn't fit my foot into any of my existing shoes and had to be re-fitted for new ones. Now, even as the swelling has gone down, I still have doubts my new foot will fit into anything I have. It seems to be much wider than it used to be.

I didn't have to ask my surgeon for PT, he felt how weak I was and offered it. They said walking is therapy enough most of the time. But since I couldn't get in to see anyone for PT for 3 weeks, I had a chance to gently work it myself without pushing with their perscribed exercises. I felt much more "ready" to tackle it when the time came.

I don't know about dressings. After 8 weeks, they didn't say to keep mine covered or anything. Just let the scabs fall off on their own and don't "soak" it like swimming or a bath. That's all.

Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing well!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
(male)

Alotofmath HB User

I hate to spoil the surprise but how painful was walking at first? Did you stop when it hurt, or did you bear a little pain to progress?

Thanks! I think my body will tell me but I deal with pain quite well...and wasnt given much guidance...

Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

My post-cast instructions were to ditch all walkers/crutches after 1 week after getting out of the cast. They said to go back on painkillers if you must but walk, just walk and do it heal-toe. They said it would be so painful you'll think something is wrong, but they said the more you walk, the quicker your recovery. Of course, the Dr. saw my x-rays and cleared me for full weight bearing, so I knew I was structurally ok. It was just soft tissue pain. But pain, yes. Wicked. It actually took me 2 weeks to ditch my walker. The walker was allowing me to cheat...I could look like I was walking, but wasn't putting all my weight on it (which hurt!). I gave my walker to my husband and made him walk across the room with it and I made myself walk to get it. I was in tears it hurt soooooo bad. (The painkillers made me ill, so I was doing this without them). But the more I walked, the less pain there was. The 2nd week after my cast was off, I tried to walk as much as I could without the walker, but it was really a blend. And to my amazement, the swelling went down, too. Eventually, the walker just felt like it was in the way, so I didn't go back to it and I was good. (Still hurt, but I had enough strength and balance so I didn't NEED the walker any longer.) Today is 19 weeks post-op and the pain isn't nearly what it was. I only have a tiny limp these days and PT is going well.

Everyone's instructions for this surgery seem to be just a little different, so do what your Dr. instructs. They have been there and done that with many folks and they have seen what works.

Hang in there!!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I started ROM exercises around 6 weeks. I had to ask at the end of an appointment.

There is going to be swelling. But my foot is bigger, not the same size. Some stuff I wear normal width, some wide. I wore wide shoes the first year for comfort. Now I try to wear normal width, cause my other side is normal. When I buy new pair of boots, I work the ankle and heel area with my hands to loosen it up.

My dressing stayed on until my wounds were healed, which took 11-12 weeks. I did whirlpool for about 6 weeks on my foot. Which most places don't do anymore, its labor intensive, with the clean up. But it helped. I had lots of blisters and cuts. As far as changing it I just wrapped and taped it. Some wrap is better, less stick.

Some people start partial weight bearing before 12 weeks, but alot don't.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Your foot hasn't had much contact the last few weeks. Its good to touch it. It can be sensitive to the touch. I wore and still do shoes around the house. But at first you will need to do it for everything. I wore old tennis shoes that were laced loose, that I could slide on. Good socks help alot.

First time I stood on it, I felt nothing really. Pain will come with how much you do. I suspect you will now when to stop, but you got to push through some of it IMO, or you will never get anywhere.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
(male)

Alotofmath HB User

I have been weight bearing a little this week; Im not putting much pressure on the foot, but I'm going through the motions of walking with the bad leg...

I notice that muscle is coming back in my bad leg. As an experiment I tried to put on a sock and it nearly fit...

The only thing I'm worried about is wound healing..there are two small spots that haven't healed...

I didn't really have instructions for weight bearing so am going with what makes sense.

Oh and I have a job interview in September...hopefully won't have to go on crutches.

Thanks for reading.

Closed Thread