It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
9th foot surgery coming up

i am baack! just came from the surgeon. i now have a claw/hammer toe on my right 2nd toe. the fused foot is fine. i had tears in my eyes because i cant catch a break on my feet. i never thought i would have another foot surgery. i have been posting since 2006 and i probably will til the day i die. there is no guarantee this surgery will work, but he said it will help. i am looking at the beginning of nov. as we are going to europe in october. its an out patient surgery with 12 weeks recovery. no skiing. i am so depressed and my poor husband cant believe it. i would love to hear from you. debbie

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: debbie g
indaslot (08-09-2011), roxygirl1 (08-08-2011), stepbystep89 (08-08-2011), swimbunnie (08-09-2011), Twix (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 9th foot surgery coming up

Aw, Debbie! What a bummer! You have been thru so much with your feet (you and me together!) that I hate it for you. This is a tough surgery from what I understand. Will be thinking about you when the time comes...keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User

Debbie, I feel for you as well, I have had 2 surgeries and now the doc wants to take the fibial sesamoid out as it is causing me great pain. I can't walk or stand at all without pain. So depressing. I feel for you; my doc says he can't guarantee it either - so what do I do? I feel like no one understands and some even think it is funny! I can't walk at age 50 and that is funny! People can be so cruel. I wish you the best. Hope you have a good support system. I really don't. Have 1 good friend and that is it.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am still in shock. i am 55 and 5 months ago i had torn rotator cuff surgery. i never experienced more pain than that. from what i understand a pin goes all the way through to the end of the toe. i can wear a surgical shoe for 6 weeks and then a very wide shoe until the swelling goes down and we all know long that takes! i dont want to miss skiing so when is the right time. chub, you have to get better and tich i know you will always be there. what did you hear about this surgery. by the way this will be the third ortho surgeon i will be using. he showed me on x rays where the other 3 drs took short cuts. how frustrating is this. i am trying not to explode. debbie

The following user gives a hug of support to debbie g:
stepbystep89 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've got a couple of friends who have had hammer toes repaired. Both said it was a tough recovery. That's about all I know. They did have to be pinned - I remember that much. I don't really think they were out of commission for a long time...about the same as my cheilectomies - 6-8 weeks or so. One had hers done when I had the one on the left foot and her mother had ahernia repaired and father had a heart attack -all 4 of us within about 6 weeks of each other. We were all visiting one day - I wasn't out of my surgical shoe yet - comparing pain levels and pain meds!

My last cheilectomy - on June 15 - was a tough one but am totally recovered now. Went dancing last Friday and jogged again for the first time yesterday. No pain and no problems. Very pleased but wouldn't want to have to do it again!

Keep us posted, sweetie.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

do you know why it was a tough recovery?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

For one thing, I'm 10 years older - 65 now. The anesthesia just really effected my memory for a good while. Also, this doc wouldn't let me walk on it for 5 days. So that was very bothersome. I also had a nerve block which I had not had with the other 2 surgeries. That make the leg cumbersome until it wore off - and the wearing off part drove me nuts! Could not sleep at all that night from all the tingling, *****ly feelings. Ugh! But I sure slept well the next morning!

So mostly just the age issue and the difference in protocol by the two different docs. But, I have to say that I am dancing and jogging sooner than I was with the one before. So there was definitely a trade off....tougher immediate recovery but quicker long term.

Hope that makes sense!

Closed Thread