It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
(female)

Hillery45 HB User
Big toe fusion

I had my big toe fused with 3 screws on 5/26/11, I had two non weight bearing cast for 10 wks, now I have a walking boot. I am experiencing some pain and foot swelling. I know, I have to be patient with healing, but does anybody have any insight on how long it normally takes to walk on foot and swelling to go down?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: Big toe fusion

I had the metatarsal and tarsal of my big toe fused along with other procedures about the same time as you. From previous surgeries on my knees I know it can take several months for swelling to go down....and since gravity plays a role it makes it harder on the foot. The more you can keep it elevated will help.

The following user gives a hug of support to swimbunnie:
Hillery45 (08-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
Hillery45 (08-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

it really does take a year for the swelling to go down. actually it really took 2 years. it is a very slow process.

The Following User Says Thank You to debbie g For This Useful Post:
Hillery45 (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
(female)

Hillery45 HB User
Smile Re: Big toe fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbunnie View Post
I had the metatarsal and tarsal of my big toe fused along with other procedures about the same time as you. From previous surgeries on my knees I know it can take several months for swelling to go down....and since gravity plays a role it makes it harder on the foot. The more you can keep it elevated will help.
Thank you so much for your response, I have been putting more ice on my foot and it has helped swelling. Did your doctor say when you would perhaps be able to walk or wear a shoe? I am afraid because I have a job where I stand and walk for 8hrs a day. I am hoping to be able to withstand that. Thanks again for your response, it was helpful!!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I'll be in the boot for at least 4 more weeks, but I've started fwb....it has been painful, but I'm managing. I had a tendon transfer and a medial calcaneal slide with the fusion though. I am planning to return back to work at the start of Sep. but I don't have to be on my feet the whole work day. if you need to go back, you might want to look into a knee walker. I got one when I was nwb and still use it when my foot gets sore but I need my hands free.

Last edited by swimbunnie; 08-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
(female)

Hillery45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbunnie View Post
I'll be in the boot for at least 4 more weeks, but I've started fwb....it has been painful, but I'm managing. I had a tendon transfer and a medial calcaneal slide with the fusion though. I am planning to return back to work at the start of Sep. but I don't have to be on my feet the whole work day. if you need to go back, you might want to look into a knee walker. I got one when I was nwb and still use it when my foot gets sore but I need my hands free.
I am in a boot as well for a couple more weeks. I am suppose to start work at the end of the month. I am fwb as well and it hurts a little to walk but I am keeping the faith. Unfortunately, I work in one of the 5 star hotels here in Vegas and I don't think I will be able to use the knee walker bcuz my position requires a lot of customer service and I am not to have any restrictions when I return. I am a single parent of two so I am just praying to be able to hold my own and be able to walk! It feels good to be able to communicate with someone with similar situation. This board is awesome! I thank you and wish you a full recovery! I used the rolling walker so I could still sit when needed bcuz I was no good on the crutches. Thank you!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
(female)

Hillery45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillery45 View Post
I am in a boot as well for a couple more weeks. I am suppose to start work at the end of the month. I am fwb as well and it hurts a little to walk but I am keeping the faith. Unfortunately, I work in one of the 5 star hotels here in Vegas and I don't think I will be able to use the knee walker bcuz my position requires a lot of customer service and I am not to have any restrictions when I return. I am a single parent of two so I am just praying to be able to hold my own and be able to walk! It feels good to be able to communicate with someone with similar situation. This board is awesome! I thank you and wish you a full recovery! I used the rolling walker so I could still sit when needed bcuz I was no good on the crutches. Thank you!

Last edited by Hillery45; 08-15-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Made a mistake and sent twice/ need to delete!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
(male)

mikezfactor HB User

that surgery is awful and the recovery is the same. mine failed and i have to go do it again

Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
(male)

BobATC HB User
Wink Re: Big toe fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillery45 View Post
I had my big toe fused with 3 screws on 5/26/11, I had two non weight bearing cast for 10 wks, now I have a walking boot. I am experiencing some pain and foot swelling. I know, I have to be patient with healing, but does anybody have any insight on how long it normally takes to walk on foot and swelling to go down?
I had big toe fusion with three screws and a plate done at USC here in LA and I was walking in wide athletic shoes within three weeks of surgery (no crutches needed). It is now week 20 and all the sensativity in my toe is almost gone, things are 97 % normal. I'm back on the cross trainer at the gym (did the bike for weeks 4-12) and can wear almost all my shoes. The whole proceedure seemed much less difficult than most postings made it to be.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

you are so lucky!

Closed Thread