It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

emmac25 HB User
Unhappy Pain hit me like a ton of bricks post Bunionectomy

Please please tell me if you've experienced this.

First few days after Bunionectomy I was pleasantly surprised at how little pain there was (there was pain but I guess I had been expecting a lot worse)

Then day 5 hits. I have never experienced anything like it, except it is only really when I am upright. Foot feels like it will explode. Pain makes me cry. I think it is just the blood rushing to foot upon standing (on good leg) but it is excruciating. Has anyone gone through this. Is it normal. And when does it go away. No way can I function at work like this and I was planning on going back next week (two weeks post op) as I have a desk job.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: Pain hit me like a ton of bricks post Bunionectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmac25 View Post
Please please tell me if you've experienced this.

First few days after Bunionectomy I was pleasantly surprised at how little pain there was (there was pain but I guess I had been expecting a lot worse)

Then day 5 hits. I have never experienced anything like it, except it is only really when I am upright. Foot feels like it will explode. Pain makes me cry. I think it is just the blood rushing to foot upon standing (on good leg) but it is excruciating. Has anyone gone through this. Is it normal. And when does it go away. No way can I function at work like this and I was planning on going back next week (two weeks post op) as I have a desk job.
That happens to some people. I suspect you may have been a bit overzealous in your activities instead of nicely resting and elevating your foot up above your heart the entire time, and only put your foot down when necessary ie loo run.

Sound like the accumulation of blood and possibly prematurely stepping full on with your foot instead of wearing the heal wedge platform boot when moving about? If you haven't been elevating your foot, you need to do so at all times even when you sleep. You don't want the blood to be staying on your foot (from gravity) as it can create more scar tissues causing flexibility issue later on not to mention major discomfort with your foot throbbing.

Are you currently taking any anti inflammatory? Some doctors recommends NSAIDs and some don't. I took some Advils in the beginning not because of any pain or discomfort but because I wanted to reduce the inflammation.

It may be best to speak with your surgeon regarding this and see what he/she recommends. The best thing to do for now is to elevate your foot above your heart and ice it if you haven't done so already.

Hope you feel better soon! It will only get better if you are patient.

Good luck!

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

Grace404 HB UserGrace404 HB User

Hi Emma -

Just as earthworm stated, keep that foot elevated! (above your nose is the best - but at least above your waist)

For the first two weeks post Hallux Limitus Rigidus surgery, my foot was elevated 23 out of 24 hours! I did yoga "legs up the wall" periodically throughout the day to take the stress off of my hip and butt. Elevation and ice on the ankles were my salvation - the moment I kept my foot down for more than 5 mins, oh the throbbing from the blood rushing.

Also, check with your doctor - I was directed to take 2 Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the inflammation along with my pain meds - I did not have bones to "knit" , so check first and see if that is an option for you.

After my sutures and k-wire were removed from my big toe at the 15-day mark, I could put my foot down more before the swelling and uncomfortableness kicked in - I still elevate my foot as much as possible and ice it twice a day - I am now 7 weeks post surgery.

Try elevating as much as you can bear (my nurse's advice) and see if that works for you.

Grace

Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

emmac25 HB User

I was in so much pain when I posted I left out some details lol.

I am elevating above heart for 23 hours plus per day, bathroom breaks only.
It is when I get upright on crutches that the pain is too much. I talked to my surgeon and as suspected it is the blood rushing to my foot and everything just screaming out.

I was so concerned only because the first few days were "easy" and I didn't have this excruciating pain, then boom yesterday it hit!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

I know! That swelling from the blood rush drove me crazy too! If you can and it's OK with your Dr. , when your foot is up, try moving your foot around in circles or just side to side at the ankle, if you can. It helps to get the blood circulating. It was easier for me to do this around the end of the first week.

Hang in there - it will get better - take lots of naps, it helps to eat up some of the time!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
(female)

profmia HB User

Hi Grace:
Thanks for the yoga advice. I am going to try it because I am now one month post op reconstructive foot surgery on my right foot and my entire right side is crying for some kind of relief. I need a massage, I am so sore from shoulder down to hip. It's paying off with the foot up 24/7 which has done wonders for bringing down lots of swelling, but the other part of my body is suffering.
Peace
Profmia

The following user gives a hug of support to profmia:
Grace404 (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
(female)

Profmia -

I just got down on my mat whenever I needed just a break from laying and looking at my foot in the air! There are so many different stretches you can do without standing and it felt soooo good! Sometimes it was just a few minutes, other times it was a little longer - and being on the mat helped me to just calm down & breathe - I felt a little more normal then!

I also just had a deep tissue massage last week - heaven! It's amazing just to have someone else help your body to relax and stetch out all those sore spots.

Breathe!
Grace

The Following User Says Thank You to Grace404 For This Useful Post:
profmia (08-10-2011)
Closed Thread