It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

fullersloane HB User
Unhappy 5 wks past bunion sugery

I had my surgery on July 8th for bunion surgery on my left foot. The stitches came out two weeks later & I am now wearing
Ia rather large boot on that foot. Thank goodnees it was not on my drivering foot.
Now I was told to range of motion excersises on the toes.
My questuin is this when when will I get some strength in the big toe ""?
I am doing the range of motion on my big toe but when can I progress

Any answers would be most appreciated.

looking for help-------Fullersloane

Old 08-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: 5 wks past bunion sugery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullersloane View Post
I had my surgery on July 8th for bunion surgery on my left foot. The stitches came out two weeks later & I am now wearing
Ia rather large boot on that foot. Thank goodnees it was not on my drivering foot.
Now I was told to range of motion excersises on the toes.
My questuin is this when when will I get some strength in the big toe ""?
I am doing the range of motion on my big toe but when can I progress

Any answers would be most appreciated.

looking for help-------Fullersloane
Hi fullersloane,
Congrats and welcome to the road of recovery post bunion surgery. It will take quite a long time for your toe to go back to the "normal" state and strength. Speaking from personal experience, I remember at one year anniversary, I still could not manage to stand on my toes confidently for long. Now more than 2 years later, I think they are doing pretty darn good (knock on wood!).

What type of exercises are you administering on your toe? I started doing mine right after the stitches were removed and I was also massaging the scars. Massaging is crucial as it helps to break down any scar tissues which could restrict the movement of your joint. I used to do this for about 15-30 minutes every 3 hours or so (massage and exercise). Yeah...I was paranoid and fanatic about this regimen lol I was staying home so that became my "job" and my purpose lol

Having said all that, of course, it also depends on the type of "cut" you had and the severity of bunion you had, certain procedures may be faster in recovering than others.

Don't give up, keep massaging and exercising. The strength will improve slowly but surely. You won't notice it much from day to day, but if look back, then you realize you have come a long way. Hang in there!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
(female)

fullersloane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Hi fullersloane,
Congrats and welcome to the road of recovery post bunion surgery. It will take quite a long time for your toe to go back to the "normal" state and strength. Speaking from personal experience, I remember at one year anniversary, I still could not manage to stand on my toes confidently for long. Now more than 2 years later, I think they are doing pretty darn good (knock on wood!).

What type of exercises are you administering on your toe? I started doing mine right after the stitches were removed and I was also massaging the scars. Massaging is crucial as it helps to break down any scar tissues which could restrict the movement of your joint. I used to do this for about 15-30 minutes every 3 hours or so (massage and exercise). Yeah...I was paranoid and fanatic about this regimen lol I was staying home so that became my "job" and my purpose lol

Having said all that, of course, it also depends on the type of "cut" you had and the severity of bunion you had, certain procedures may be faster in recovering than others.

Don't give up, keep massaging and exercising. The strength will improve slowly but surely. You won't notice it much from day to day, but if look back, then you realize you have come a long way. Hang in there!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Cheers!
Thanks for the advise about massaging. I will now do it more often as well as the toe excercising.
I have 4 wedding in the upcoming year & I have no idea what type of shoe to wear to them.
Fullersloane

Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Don't worry about the shoes for now. I am sure you will find something you like and your feet should be somewhat back to their size and looking absolutely pretty. I remember having to attend a wedding 6 weeks post-op and i managed to put on a one inch heel sandals for the reception. Just had to carry a tall umbrella to aid with the walking lol

Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had a cheilectomy on my right big toe on June 15(similar to some bunion surgeries). I jsut wore heels all day this past Monday. I was released to jog, wear heels, get a pedicure last week so wouldn't rush anything.

Closed Thread