It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
(female)

seashellsue HB User
Question anyone know success stats on morton's neuroma treatments?

Hi
Been here all night learning a lot and looking for a new less invasive treatment for my third MN in 15 years.
After reading everyone's opinions and experiences, I'm wondering if anyone has any information about statistics on the actual success rate of the various treatments. Just by reading the posts I get the impression there are as many failures as successes.
I suspect those with successes just get on with life and never look back, while those with complications reach out on sites like these for support. It's hard to gauge what my odds really are for having a third surgery go as well as the last two. I believe I have developed either a stump or another one-but it's been 15+ years. Am I one of the lucky ones? I am now reconsidering my plans.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Sue

Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: anyone know success stats on morton's neuroma treatments?

Not really clear on what you are looking for comments on with regard to a less invasive procedure. Are you talking about cryosurgery? I don't know anyone who has had it for MN but have read that it's rather successful.

And not sure about how many Mns you have/had but I would say that if it has been 15 years, it's most likely not a stump neuroma as they usually come within 5 years.

I had mine surgically removed about 10 years ago and all is well. I'd have it done again as it was relatively easy - went back to work the next day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

I wish I had a success story to tell. I had mortons neuroma surgery done over 3 years ago and wish I had never had it done. I have had a chronic nerve problem in the ball of my foot ever since. I feel it with every step I take.

I have been to many types of doctors, including podiatrists, orthopedic, accupuncture etc.looking for some help with this nerve problem. My next step may be a neurologist. I have also had injections, tried padding, anti inflammatory, foot creams, vitamins, expensive athletic shoes etc. No one or nothing seems to be able to help me. No one has suggested that I have a stump neuroma. It has totally messed up my life.

If I knew then what I know now I never would have had the surgery. I wish you luck and success with whatever you decide to do. If anyone has any suggestions for what I am dealing with I would like to hear from them.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

seashellsue HB User

Dancinboots,
I've seen a lot of your posts. You've been on here for years, right? I'm sorry you're still having to deal with this.
I think I read most of the threads and read some advice on shoes. I haven't seen sketcher's shapeups mentioned. (Sorry if some one has already mentioned them), but I just wanted to say that, at least for me they provided some relief, and they run under $100- unlike the MBTs at $300. If you haven't already tried them, some stores like, Nordstrom, will take any shoes back after a trial run so there is no risk if they don't work out. The pain doesn't always show up right away, as most of you know. They come in wide, and they're online.

I am not sure what I'm going to do. I'm looking for some actual statistics on these potentially dangerous procedures so I know what my odds would be.
I'm in L.A. and am hoping someone might know a good Dr. here, or, maybe some new treatments I may have missed?
I'm planning to take Tichou's advice and check out who treats the Lakers. I'm out on worker's comp from a job right next to Staples Center. Also, that top Dr. publication someone swears by. The worker's comp issue might limit my options. I still have to spend some time researching that can of worms.
Take care,
Sue

Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Shaquille O'Neal used a guy at UCLA Med Ctr (head of podiatry, I believe) to do a cheilectomy on his big toe joint. You could do a search on here for threads on that - I posted some. But that was in 2002 when he had it done.

My main suggestion is a foot and ankle board certified sports med ortho. And since there is no way to get national statistics, I'd suggest asking the surgeon how many he's done and how many failures were there - and why. Perhaps the patient's fault or perhaps the surgeon's fault...

Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

seashellsue HB User

Titchou
I just noticed your post.
The tales of cryosurgery seem pretty scary. But then again I wonder what the success rate is in the real world, rather than in these boards. I'm not really sure how invasive it is, or how long the down time would be. That is a big concern, because of my last experience.

I had a second MN removal a year and a half ago on my other foot and it really messed me up. (The first one went in from the top and was so easy, like yours.) The last one went in from the bottom and was much more severe. But that wasn't the worst of it.
I had since developed back issues That I had been managing which were made worse by the two months on the couch, dutifully keeping my foot elevated so It would heal ASAP. Then the lack of use made my ankle so weak I twisted it repeatedly. Then my back got worse than ever from walking funny. I was trying to heal for a job I just got (on my feet, long hours, heavy work) when the Dr. released me but it was too early. It was (and still is) too good and rare of a job to risk losing, so I just did the best I could. They got impatient with me. (I Even got sick of hearing myself complain for those 6-8 months! My foot, my back, my ankle!) I've since done well (lots of yoga) but developed a new MN or stump on the foot with the easy fix from 15 years ago.
I was really lucky to find this job and am terrified to risk it, AGAIN.
I'm planning to try the alcohol injections. Hopefully, the workers comp will do it. Their success doesn't look so hot, at least on these sites. I spent some time last night looking for info when I found this board and spent all night on it!
It really felt nice to unload. That was the short version BTW.
Thanks
Sue

Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
(female)

seashellsue HB User

As always, good advice.
Thanks again, Sue

Old 08-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

From what I've learned here, from my doctors and from a podiatrist whose board I used to help moderate, alcohol injections are the best route, as opposed to steroid ones. The alcohol,if injected properly, should kill the neuroma in no more than 3 injections.

Personally, I didn't try them because I couldn't fathom the idea of sitting still for a shot between my toes. UGH! Knock me out and remove the danged thing!

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
(female)

seashellsue HB User

Dancinboots
I read that in the past you considered getting the cryo. Did you decide against it? If so Why?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

I did consider cyrosurgery at one time. There was a doc here in my state that was supposed to do the procedure but when I went to see him he told me he no longer did the procedure. I don't know exactly why. He was the only one in Michigan who did it and the only other doc I know of who does the cyrosurgery is in Florida.

I'm not even sure how long lasting it is and whether or not it would have even helped me being that I already had the neuroma surgery and what I am experiencing now is unresolved nerve complications from the surgery. Since none of the docs I have seen have said I have another neuroma or stump neuroma going on I don't believe another surgery is my answer.

I hope to be seeing a neurologist in the near future (again) but when I saw one a few years ago I was told I do not have neuropathy. Perhaps something has changed since then. I believe neuropathy usually affects other parts of the body more than the feet. All I know is I feel like a dog chasing his tail. None of these "so called" professionals or "top docs" seem to know anything.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
(female)

Georgia chicken HB User

I just saw your post. I don't know what you have done, but thought that I'd give my feedback anyway. I have MN for more than 7 years in one foot and 3 yrs in the other. Have been using conservative treatment, cortisone injections and orthotics but it is getting much worse in the second foot now.

I have been looking up success rates for MN treatments. I found one using sonogram guided alcohol injection with 98% success. The authors stressed the importance of guiding the injection with the sonogram to make sure that the alcohol was injected directly into the neuroma to achieve success and reduce side effects (collateral damage to surrounding tissue).

Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
(male)

splinterslugger HB User

Hi,
When surgery is completely successful, I've heard the pain will be resolved. However, more than 20-30% of surgeries have reported to cause scar tissue at the area of the surgery and causes pain, tingling and sharpness. I know that acupuncture has helped with reducing and sometimes completely eliminating the pain. I would give acupuncturea shot before doing surgery. There's no harm in trying before resorting to surgery

Closed Thread