It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

profmia HB User
Post Foot Surgery -Anxiety & Depression-Antibiotics?

This is such a weird state of mind to be in. It all started with a neighbor's three night pre-wedding party, with blasting music and loud voices all night coming full blast into the small bedroom on the first floor where I have been imprisoned for almost five weeks. I got this sudden feeling of being trapped, needing air and being outside. I was in a panic. Quickly I put on my post surgery boot and asked my husband to get me out of the space where I have been confined for five weeks. It felt good being outside but it started raining and we had to return back to my quarters on the first floor. The sounds had gotten even louder outback and my anxiety was starting all over again. I told my husband that I would use every bit of strength that I had to get up the two flight of stairs to our bedroom away from the noise. Well I don't know how but on knees , butt moving up the stairs I managed. I settled into our spacious bedroom and with the sound of classics and some more breathing I was able to calm down and eventually get to sleep feet up! The depression had also been building up after five weeks and I admit that I was really feeling so helpless at not being able to do anything for myself. On top of that my wound had not been healing so the surgeon had referred me to plastic surgery-wound care.
In an effort to try to understand what was happening to my mind and why I had reacted to the party music, wherein in the past I would have been able to tolerate my neighbor's sound system I started to wonder whether I was also having some reaction to the medication that I was taking. For five weeks because the wound had not healed I was prescribed the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin. I researched the side effects of Ciprofloxacin which I had been taking 500mg 2x day since the surgery on July 11. when I experienced the anxiety attacks I noted that I was having some of the same reactions that I would later read on the drug warnings. They were ".....new or worsening anxiety, agitation, ....., depression, restlessness, sleeplessness." Since it was the week-end, I immediately called my primary care Dr. who had given the clearance for my surgery and when I informed her that I had been taking the Ciprofloxacin for four weeks and three days. She told me to stop taking them. She said the drug was known to have the same side effects that I was experiencing and considered that there was a correlation between the anxiety attack brought on by the loud music, the lack of control under my condition, living in a small space over the past 5 weeks as tantamount to being tortured with the drug engaging all of the above. I did note that when I took the last dosage of the drug I felt myself going into the same space as the first episode because I kept re-living it from last night. On the other had I was conscious of the fact that I had more control of my environment. I could look out the window, I could see the rain and my room was airy and the only music was the classics which are playing. I did some breathing, calmed down. I did not take the second dosage after lunch. It will probably take a while to get the drug out of my system, meanwhile I will be looking out for those terrible feelings of entrapment. Today on the bright side, my wound looks pink and there is very little leakage.

In an effort to get myself into focus for the night, I have been doing breathing exercises, listening to calming music and drinking Echinacea tea. Looking out the window, breathing in air. All of this seem to be relaxing me. It is so important to know the signals of your own body. I am not saying that maybe I do have a Panic Disorders. That is my next assessment with a therapist.
Would be interesting to hear from any readers .
Profmia

The following user gives a hug of support to profmia:
lightstepper (08-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Post Foot Surgery -Anxiety & Depression-Antibiotics?

I would burst into tears if my bedroom door got shut while I was in the cast and bed-ridden. It felt like I was being cast aside or "put away" for the night and I couldn't do anything about it. I also suffered some depression especially after the cast came off and I was "expected" to ditch my walker after a week. I did not have to take any antibiotics.

It helps if you have a daytime location near a window or can get outside some. Being in one room isn't good. I also took 2,000 IU of vitamin D3 to help bone healing and mood. It also helped to have company stop by. Didn't feel so isolated.

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I live in a private home and don't have to deal with the noise of neighbor. When I was recouperating from my flat foot surgery last year, I remember breaking out in tears out of the clear blue. I was going nuts being confined to one floor in my home and only going out to the doctor appointments. We borrowed a wheel chair and went out for lunch. It felt so good to get out of the house and feel like a person. Once you are a bit more mobile, you will feel so much better. I see you live in NY. Where did you have the surgery done and what kind of surgey

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

profmia HB User

Proxy Girl and Nightstepper: Thanks for your reply. I am out of the small boxed in room and feel much better. Now in a more airy space where I can see the trees, the outside and people walking. I was advised to stop taking the Cipro because it does contribute to anxiety, depression, inability to sleep etc. It appears that I was on it much too long that coupled with the post op feelings that both of you describe just put me in a weird place that I don't want to ever be in again. I had osteopathy (sic) left bunion surgery with two pins.
I am working on a writing project today so I will be communicating with someone, that should help me get thru another day.
Take care.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

profmia HB User

Thanks for your little note: I had osteopathy (sic) left bunion surgery with two pins. Done by my surgeon whose area is sports medicine, limb reconstruction @ Downtown Hospital Manhattan. I Feel much better today, sat on the deck, walking with the knee walker. Depression seem to be more under control, but still some feelings of just wanting to take a ride and leave the house. Was told I could bear wt on heel only. Visit wound doctor Wed., for leak and back for post op with surgeon on Monday next week. I am now going into fifth week since surgery. Lost appetite after crisis explained in my earlier post. I espouse to the mantra now of "Taking One Day At A Time."
Profmia
Drinking chamomile tea and forced myself to eat some applesauce today.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

I had similar antsy feelings once I had recuperated a few weeks and then felt so much better just getting out of the bedroom and sitting in the living room chair to watch an hour of tv or eat dinner somewhere other than the bedroom!

Closed Thread