It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

coKar HB UsercoKar HB User
Frustrated from slow healing from calcaneal osteotomy and per. tendon transfer

I am 11.5 weeks out from surgery and still in boot, only partial weight bearing, and on crutches. My frustration is that I have read many blogs where the discomfort in the heel where it feels like you are stepping down on rocks or landscape edging goes away after a couple of days or maybe a week. I have been partial weight bearing since July 25, almost three weeks tomorrow. I am still experiencing extreme discomfort in the heel. Also, I have an "indention" on the inside of my heel and I am still having "seeping" where the screw went in on the back of my heel.

Has anyone who has had this surgery had these issues take this long to resolve? I am very, very frustrated with my progress.

The following user gives a hug of support to coKar:
swimbunnie (08-15-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Re: Frustrated from slow healing from calcaneal osteotomy and per. tendon transfer

Hi CoKar! I'm at just over 15 weeks...and you sound like you are where I was. I was told I could walk in the boot...and in all honesty I thought I'd die. I ended up back on full pain meds...I felt like a total wreck and like I'd never ever walk without pain.

I can't believe...I'm at 15 weeks...haven't used a crutch in over a week. I limp...but it is getting so much better...some days it's almost not there. There is no feeling like I'm walking on rocks anymore! (and I felt like I was walking on sharp glass back then!) Just hang in there. I think you do have to just do it and endure some pain. I don't know if the pushing is what helps the foot get used to it...or if in time it just gets better. My physican's assistant told me it was going to hurt and I was just going to have to do it. Some days I pushed to much and was down for 3 days...so I think there is a happy medium.

You are still early in the process...heck...I am too...even though it feels like forever. My doctor is only letting me go back to work on site..1/2 time. 2-4 hours a day - and I have to use my knee roll about to get in and out of the building. I feel stupid since I can walk some, but everyone there is making me use it for at least that. Then the other 1/2 of the day I have to come home and work so I can get my foot up higher. I keep reminding myself...that this will pass.

hang in there...you are doing great!

The Following User Says Thank You to adbow For This Useful Post:
coKar (08-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Frustrated from slow healing from calcaneal osteotomy and per. tendon transfer

I'm 20 weeks post-op today. This recovery is the oddest. I found I would be hurting for a while the same every day and then, you just wake up and the foot is a notch better.

Hang in there! It will get better. Not sure about the seeping from your heel though. That doesn't sound good. That probably should be checked. Is the discharge clear or cloudy?

Last edited by lightstepper; 08-15-2011 at 02:15 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lightstepper For This Useful Post:
coKar (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Recovery is long. I remember feeling like it would never end but now a year post op, I am able to go out and get around without worrying about my foot. I would definitely call your doctor about the discharge by the wound to rule out infection

Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you for the encouragement everyone. The seeping is kind of a clear discharge. After the surgery, I had a very ugly blood blister on the back of my heel that didn't fall off until week 9-10!! I go see my surgeon this Friday. My anxiety is because they are expecting me to walk in without the aide of my crutches. I can take a couple of steps but my heel just feels like it is cutting in half. It is also numb. Every other visit, I am told to be patient, but I guess I just have weeks where the discouragement is overwhelming me.
I will be 12 weeks on Wednesday and I'm thinking enough all ready!!! I want to WALK!!
Like I said, your encouragement means alot. This is the only place that I can find support since others kind of think I should be a lot better by now.

The following user gives a hug of support to coKar:
indaslot (08-15-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Im just beginning to fwb and found when I adjusted the inflation of my Aircast boot it helped a bit with the pain from putting full weight on my foot. Maybe that'll help out a little in your case. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
coKar (08-17-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
(female)

Thanks. I took your advice and used the "inflate" feature on my cam walking boot. It did lend more support. Unfortunately, I just am not feeling like I have progressed at all in two weeks. My heel is numb and hurts. However, I see the surgeon in two days and I just hope he really does tell me to be patient this time rather than having something actually wrong. My foot is swelling horribly at my desk. I have been laying down for about 10 -15 minutes every 4 hours or so with my foot up on my chair so that I can get some of the swelling out and that helps with the pain a great deal.

I've read about compression socks or sleeves (?) on some of the boards. Is anyone wearing those and do they help? Do they cause swelling where they stop (ie up by the knee?)

Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

My physical therapist taped me with kineseo tape AND put me in some compression sleeves. Worked beautifully. Brought the swelling right down. It helps your walking so much if you can get that swelling out. I still use the sleeves if I've overdone it a bit. She gave me two to wear. One goes from my ankle to my knee and the other one just above my ankle to the ball of my foot. If you wear them both at the same time, they layer at the ankle a little. At first, they weren't real comfy, but I got used to them.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
(female)

Update..I had my surgeon appointment today. The decided to XRAY my foot again because of my complaints about heel pain. The bone is healing and nothing has moved, however the bone hasn't filled in at the "ledges" where they shifted th bone. Also, the pain I experienced up the achilles was more than likely scar tissue. They didn't like that I couldn't walk very well and that when I did walk, I favored the foot just like before surgery. I start 6 weeks of physical therapy next week to learn how to walk again without a limp and to try to work the swelling and pain out of the foot. In summary, be patient!!!(I am 12 weeks post op)

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Don't worry about using the crutches when you go back to the surgeon. I felt the same way after I got the go ahead to walk. It is hard and it does take a while to be able to wean off crutches. I felt the same way you did when I had to go back to the doctor's after being told to walk. One of the office staff commented on me still using crutches but my surgeon was not surprised. He said it is normal. I would however, consider calling your surgeon concerning the seeping site. This does not sound normal to me.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
(female)

Grace404 HB UserGrace404 HB User

coKar-

I am almost 9 weeks post surgery for Hallux Limitus Rigidus - I have been going to PT 2x/wk for the past 6 weeks to learn how to walk properly - my almost rigid big toe had caused me to have such a lopsided gait that when I went to walk on my foot after the sutures & pin had been removed, I started walking like I had been prior to the surgery.

The PT has been amazing - most of the work has been balance & strengthening related, and it has worked! My limp has gone and I am learning how to stride evenly and fully again - letting go of that muscle memory was harder than I thought it would be! I will be done with formal PT soon, but I will continue with my at-home exercises.

Best wishes!
Grace

Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

CoKar!

I'm 16 weeks as of yesterday! It does get better...much better. I wear compression sleeves. I heard someone else say they didn't like them at first...that was me...getting them on hurt like crazy...but man, they help so much!!! I wear them still most days. They do a great job of helping keep the swelling out! When the swelling is out of my foot...it feels so much better! That amazed me - at how much pain there is with the swelling.

Good luck.....

Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
(female)

I agree adbow. Controlling the swelling is the key to a lot of this. I found the same thing.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
(female)

I can remember when I'd let the pain and swelling get to much...and then it would take almost 3 days to get the swelling down and pain under control. Now, I can work or be up on my foot 8 hours and it swells...and if I get it up high for an hour - that pretty much pulls the swelling out!

Closed Thread