It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User
Post Nervous! Warning very long

This is my first post on here and I been on here for a couple of months now! But anyways, I have to have foot surgery and I needed it going on 2 years now. But I keep putting it off. I am so scared about it that is why I keep putting it off. I went to 3 foot and ankle doctors to see what they all say. The first doctor told me that try better shoes and gave me a prescription to pain medicine and said that is all he can do for me. He didn't look at my feet or anything just the xrays and that is about it. Then the 2nd doctor I went to look at my feet, did xrays, and he gave me arch supports those didn't help at all, he also told me to get orthopedics but my insurance wouldn't pay for them cause i'm not a child, and it would cost me 500-800 to get them I said no thanks to that. So then he told me that next step would be surgery but he couldn't do it since my insurance wouldn't pay for him. Then I went to the 3rd doctor and he was the best one out of the 2 I already went to. He told me what I had told me that I needed the surgery, he said if I was 70-80 years old he wouldn't recommend it but since I am young then I should go ahead and get it and I'm not working right now and have no kids. I told him I'll get back with him on that, I asked him if PT would help some he said it would but not all the way. So I did pt for about a month and a few weeks and then my insurance got suspended cause they didn't think I needed it for some dumb reason! So he told me to come back in June for a month check up and we can discuss what I wanted to do next. So the next appointment I was going to schedule the surgery told him that the PT was working for right now he said okay if you want the surgery call and we can do the pre -opt and then go ahead and schedule it. I still haven't scheduled it, I am so scared and nervous. The doctor told me that hes going to push my arch up cause its falling, and then he wants to move it to the left a bit to make it straighter and take something or do something to my knee. I also have an extra bone by my ankle that hes going to take out. I do not remember what the surgery what i'm going to be having. I just need some advise about this surgery and how everyone is dealing with it afterwards before I make the decision myself.

I read on here that a lot of people are down for about 12 weeks or more is that correct? I am very dependent I hate having people do things for me. I have a feeling that a lot of my friends and family won't help me out since they are at work. I live with my boyfriend and he will also be working so i'm kind of scared when I am home by myself and I fell or screw something up and I can't get to the phone to call 911 or someone to help me. That is some of the reason why I haven't made the appointment to have my surgery. I was thinking after writing this and getting some advise that I would schedule my surgery.I hope I can get some advice about what people went through

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User
Re: Nervous! Warning very long

Hi-I have to admit that your post was a bit confusing to me. Did you mean the doctor wanted you to get orthotics? You said "orthopedics" but I am guessing that is what you meant. If you haven't tried those yet, I don't think I would jump into surgery. Also, you don't seem to be clear in your understanding of the surgery. My advice would be to see the very best foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon (not podiatrist) that you can afford. Do some research and find out how many of cases like yours he treats. It should be many. Make sure that you understand all your options and research your condition-it is important to make a well informed choice and not jump into surgery.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

[QUOTE=indaslot;4823735]Hi-I have to admit that your post was a bit confusing to me. Did you mean the doctor wanted you to get orthotics? You said "orthopedics" but I am guessing that is what you meant. If you haven't tried those yet, I don't think I would jump into surgery. Also, you don't seem to be clear in your understanding of the surgery. My advice would be to see the very best foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon (not podiatrist) that you can afford. Do some research and find out how many of cases like yours he treats. It should be many. Make sure that you understand all your options and research your condition-it is important to make a well informed choice and not jump into surgery.[/QUOTE]

You are correct I meant to say orthotic sorry about that. I won't be able to try those since they are out of my price range they would cost me 500-800 out of pocket and as of right now I do not have a job which is why I can't afford them. I have asked him how many surgery's he has done what I will be going through and he said 30 a month. What I have is called (Tibialis Posterior tendon dysfunction). Sorry yesterday I didn't have the paper infront of me to say what I had. My insurance will not cover an orthopedic surgeon which I wish it would but it won't. I hope that helps to sum it up a little bit more sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by erin4; 08-16-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

I understand now. I live in Canada, so I don't always understand US Health Insurance issues. One problem is,you will likely be told to wear orthotics after surgery and also to do PT. It seems the the insurance issue is the main problem for you. I have not had surgery myself, only my son, but other on this board have loads of good advice to give. Te

Last edited by Administrator; 02-27-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

It sounds like you are describing flat foot reconstruction surgery with a modified kinder and cacaneal osteotomy. It is important to find out exactly what proceedures the doctor will do as well as his post op protocol. If you had the surgery, could your boyfriend use some vacation time to be with you for the first few days you are at home? If you could stay on one level with a bed/pull out couch, bathroom and access to a fridge or even small dorm style fridge stocked with beverages, yogurt, premade sandwiches, fruit etc then you may be ok at home. Could your boyfriend or friends pop in on their lunch break to be sure you are ok? If you are considering this surgery and you will be on you own, an elevated toilet seat and either two wheeled walker or knee walker are very helpful. Most people are NWB for 6-8 weeks post op. The first few weeks, I was in bed with my foot elevated and only got out of bed to use the bathroom. Is there a neighbor that could be contacted in case of an emergency? If you haven't seen the doctor for awhile, the first step would be to make an apointment with him to see exactly what he will do and what your post op protocol will be. Would someone be able to take 1/2 day off to get you to and from post op doctors appointments?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
(female)

[QUOTE=roxygirl1;4823776]It sounds like you are describing flat foot reconstruction surgery with a modified kinder and cacaneal osteotomy. It is important to find out exactly what proceedures the doctor will do as well as his post op protocol. If you had the surgery, could your boyfriend use some vacation time to be with you for the first few days you are at home? If you could stay on one level with a bed/pull out couch, bathroom and access to a fridge or even small dorm style fridge stocked with beverages, yogurt, premade sandwiches, fruit etc then you may be ok at home. Could your boyfriend or friends pop in on their lunch break to be sure you are ok? If you are considering this surgery and you will be on you own, an elevated toilet seat and either two wheeled walker or knee walker are very helpful. Most people are NWB for 6-8 weeks post op. The first few weeks, I was in bed with my foot elevated and only got out of bed to use the bathroom. Is there a neighbor that could be contacted in case of an emergency? If you haven't seen the doctor for awhile, the first step would be to make an apointment with him to see exactly what he will do and what your post op protocol will be. Would someone be able to take 1/2 day off to get you to and from post op doctors appointments?[/QUOTE]

About the boyfriend taking some vacation time off he should be able to if its 2 weeks notice. Our house is only 1 story so no worries about going up and down the stairs. The only stairs we have here is outside getting up onto the deck. The fridge isn't far away from the livingroom so that should be ok, now the bathroom is pretty far. I know a wheelchair will not fit into my house I live in a trailer so it will be pretty hard for it to move around in here. I been reading a lot of people getting the knee scooter so I am going to look into one of those. I might get a wheelchair just incase I go to the store or something and i'll just take that with me instead of using crutches. I'll talk to a neighbor here to see if I can have their number just incase of emergency. I'll talk to some friends to see if they can come over to visit with me and check up on me as well. I might stay with my mom for a few days or a week so I can get a hang of things before I do it myself, she doesn't work and she told me to stay with her she doesn't want me to stay home by myself for the first few days but I hate people helping me. My mom should be able to take me to my appointments if they are before my boyfriend gets off of work. About seeing the doctor I haven't seen him since the beginning of June. I haven't done the pre-opt yet since I didn't want to do the surgery yet but when I do he will discuss more of the surgery with me, and i'll bring my mom or boyfriend if he can get off of work then to go with me. I told him he should go with me to know what they are going to be doing to me, but he didn't say yes or no to that.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Good luck. You may want to take your mom up on her offer. The first week, I really needed someone around. I learned that I had to accept the fact that I was highly dependent on others for a few weeks. The recovery was long but a year later, I am doing great and it was worth it. It is a good idea to bring another person with you when you discuss all of the details of the surgery with the doctor. You may want to write a list of questions you have for the doctor so you wak out with all of the information you need.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
(female)

[QUOTE=roxygirl1;4823807]Good luck. You may want to take your mom up on her offer. The first week, I really needed someone around. I learned that I had to accept the fact that I was highly dependent on others for a few weeks. The recovery was long but a year later, I am doing great and it was worth it. It is a good idea to bring another person with you when you discuss all of the details of the surgery with the doctor. You may want to write a list of questions you have for the doctor so you wak out with all of the information you need.[/QUOTE]

Good idea about to write down questions that I might have for him. I really don't know what to ask him. I got a lot of my stuff on here that I wanted to know. But thanks again for the advice.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You may want to ask him exactlty what proceedures he will do. You may also want to know how long you will be NWB. Once you are allowed to weight bear will you be in a boot, shoe? How long will it be before you are able to drive? How will pain be controlled? Is there someone available off hours in case of an emergency? Will the proceedure be out patient or inpatient? I had no complications but was in the hospital 3 nights as per my doctor's protocol. Some people have the surgery outpatient.

Be sure to get a raised toilet seat...it is so helpful. The one I got was a metal frame with a toilet seat attached. The entire unit just surrounds the toilet and the seat sits above the regular toilet. They are sold at many drugstores or surgical supply stores and are not that expensive. I like the one on the frame better than the molded plastic that is attached directly to the regular toilet because the one on the fram is much sturder. They also have an attachment that allows you to use it as a commode at your bedside in case you are not up to going to the bathroom the first few days

Realize that every person has slightly different proceedures and each doctor has their own protocol. The info here is very helpful but it should never be a substitute for your doctor's advice. Jot down any questions than come to mind between now and your next appointment.

If the surgery is on your right foot....it will be a long time before you can safely hit the breaks in an emergency. If you drive a stick shift, that will also take awhle. I was lucky that my surgery was on my left foot and I drive an automatic so once I was able pwb (9 weeks post op), I was able to drive short distances

Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
(female)

[QUOTE=roxygirl1;4823826]You may want to ask him exactlty what proceedures he will do. You may also want to know how long you will be NWB. Once you are allowed to weight bear will you be in a boot, shoe? How long will it be before you are able to drive? How will pain be controlled? Is there someone available off hours in case of an emergency? Will the proceedure be out patient or inpatient? I had no complications but was in the hospital 3 nights as per my doctor's protocol. Some people have the surgery outpatient.

Be sure to get a raised toilet seat...it is so helpful. The one I got was a metal frame with a toilet seat attached. The entire unit just surrounds the toilet and the seat sits above the regular toilet. They are sold at many drugstores or surgical supply stores and are not that expensive. I like the one on the frame better than the molded plastic that is attached directly to the regular toilet because the one on the fram is much sturder. They also have an attachment that allows you to use it as a commode at your bedside in case you are not up to going to the bathroom the first few days

Realize that every person has slightly different proceedures and each doctor has their own protocol. The info here is very helpful but it should never be a substitute for your doctor's advice. Jot down any questions than come to mind between now and your next appointment.

If the surgery is on your right foot....it will be a long time before you can safely hit the breaks in an emergency. If you drive a stick shift, that will also take awhle. I was lucky that my surgery was on my left foot and I drive an automatic so once I was able pwb (9 weeks post op), I was able to drive short distances[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will jot that stuff down. The surgery will be on my right foot first and then later on I have to get my left foot done cause the same thing is happening to that foot as well . The next appointment will be schedule my surgery.I wanted to do it this week to schule it but I wanted to get peoples opinion first before I go ahead and do it. You guys are all helpful and I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread