It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

2ScrewedUp HB User2ScrewedUp HB User
Any "OATS" Veterans Experiencing Posterior Tibial Tendonitis?

I'm 2 yrs. 3 mo. post OATS on right ankle - posterior medial. I developed arthritis on top of foot which OS said was common. I have a bad right knee(Chondromalacia Osteochondral Defect of Patella) & will need surgery. Lately my knee's bothered me & now my ankle (pain inside ankle at bone where scar is, on bottom, side, heel of foot). It was so bad yesterday I couldn't walk. OS said I have Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. He gave me the R.I.C.E. prescription. The research I've done describes my symptoms exactly & one way to get this is from having prior ankle injuries/surgeries, especially in the posterior medial area of ankle. It can come from walking/standing too much, improper walking (as in when we were rehabbing ankles & couldn't walk properly), from ankle arthritis (degenerative), etc.

If anyone else has this, tell me your story & what you've done for treatment. Research mentioned R.I.C.E. but in more advanced cases mentioned 'Debridement' and 'Fusion' - Yikes

We could make a soap opera from our ankle issues. Thanks for listening and Happy Healing to all and to all a good night.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Any "OATS" Veterans Experiencing Posterior Tibial Tendonitis?

I am 3 years post OATS and while plugs incorporated successfully, my knee has never had one pain even right after they took the plugs out, I do have degenerative arthritis in my ankle joint and my subtalar joint which I just had fused. They said it developed in my subtalar joint from my irregular gait and compensating for the arthritis around my plugs.

So while I don't have the same exact problem you are having, I do have others all since having OATS.

I don't know about you but I definitely feel after my initial ankle injury and surgery that I am a snowball going downhill -each consequent surgery since has been bigger and bigger... Not a good thing to feel at 43 years old!

Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to kimberp:
2ScrewedUp (08-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to kimberp For This Useful Post:
2ScrewedUp (08-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

Kimberp: Hi! Thanks for replying. I feel like a Russian Nesting Doll: You open the big doll & there's another one, then another one. After ankle surgery, the nesting dolls have opened up in my body and every 'snap, crackle, & pop' can be heard/seen/felt. I too had arthritis appear after surgery - 3rd & 4th metatarsals. I've used Voltaren Cream that my foot doc. gave me (anti-inflamatory) & it helped my foot. I'm trying it on my ankle (it's only for feet/ankles). I know my knee needs surgery, possibly an 'Open OATS', & now worry I'll need ankle surgery for the tendonitis. And if that wasn't enough, I fractured my left ring finger knuckle last Sept. which is now permanently bent, had pneumonia/bronchitis last fall/winter to which I now have breathing problems & use inhalers & my acid reflux has re-emerged w/a vengance. My kitchen counter looks like a drug store. Like you, I'm only 44 & feel like 84. My mom didn't have half these problems at that age.

I don't regret OATS surgery as it saved my ankle at the time, but you'd think our ankles would 'give us a break' (no pun intended). I've seen the same OS for ankle, knee, finger & the other day he called me a "freak of nature" - not sure what he meant. He should be glad he's getting a repeat customer out of me. I think we should all get Phd's in Orthopaedics from all this.

I'm glad we have some place to vent & commiserate. Most of my family/friends don't understand fully since they haven't been in our shoes (again no pun intended).

Thanks for the support and all the best to you. Happy Healing

Last edited by 2ScrewedUp; 08-17-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I'm also about the same time out as Kim, from my OATS. I did have a posterior tibial tendon tear post-OATS. I had the surgery for that exactly 10 mos after my OATS surgery. We didn't know going in that it was a tear, only that it hurt like heck and probalby had inflamation that could be debrided. It turns out that my PTT was torn as well as stuck down with scar tissue making it unable to move. That was cleaned up as well as my OATS site that was fraying and I had another microfracture on the other site that was too small for OATS last time around, but bigger at that point.

Like Kim, I've had a downward spiral with the ankle. After my PTT tear/microfracture, peroneal tendon clean up surgery, I had a distraction arthroscopy 11 mos later. That was about as big of a major fail as I could have imagined leaving me with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (aka RSD) and osteomyelitis in my tibia. That led to debridement of tibia and iv antibiotics which led to a blood clot. That surgery made the CRPS spread to my entire leg. So because of that I had a spinal cord stimulator put in and then promptly removed (2 surgeries in less than 2 weeks) for MRSA infection. More IV antibiotics.
My subtalar joint, which was perfect before the distraction now has arthritis and may be fused. I am looking at an ankle replacement hopefully in the near future.

BTW, my knee is perfect post-OATS as well. That was the only part of that surgery that was successful. Well, I had a ligament reconstruction then too, and that worked, so I guess it wasn't all a fail.

I'm with you on the freak of nature deal. I remember my pain management dr. saying to me that he understands why I was scared at first about the SCS surgery because everything I have done turns into a catastrophe. We figured my bad luck was over and so I went on to have the surgery and well... it was a catastrophe. I feel like what can go wrong, does. When docs talk about the odds with something I look at them like, "You DO know who you are talking to, right? The one who hits those odds."

I'm sorry you are going through so much. Take one thing at a time. If your knee is the worst, focus on that, if it is your ankle, then focus on that. It is too overwhelming to try and fix everything at once. Plus, it's depressing.

The following user gives a hug of support to K_Lana:
2ScrewedUp (08-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to K_Lana For This Useful Post:
2ScrewedUp (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

Hi K_Lana: Wow! I think you win the prize for ankles. Makes me wonder what they didn't see/find when they first put you under the knife. It sounds like you're taking this very well, & I know attitude/mental/emotionalness is very important. It sucks having to deal w/all this new ankle stuff, but at least I have a GREAT OS. I'm still puzzled by his "you're a freak of nature" comment - what does he mean? What do you think he meant. He told me at one point that he was impressed w/my knowledge, but he also said don't worry so much or over analyze. You wear my shoes for a while & tell me how it is. I see OS in 1 mo. for knee/ankle, so for now it's a wait-see game. OS wants me to wear gym shoes w/ankle brace & it's hard to find any wide enough. Did you have any shoe issues & if so what brand/kind did you wear?

Take care & I'll think good thoughts for you & Happy Healing.

The following user gives a hug of support to 2ScrewedUp:
Grace404 (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

lol, I don't win the prize for ankles. What Kim is going through now is pretty darn rough. But I maybe win the prize for having a loser body that doesn't like to do things the normal way.

My very first surgery was for a Brostrom repair and peroneal tendon tear and subluxation repair. They had NO idea I had OCDs in there. I had 2 of them. So at that point they could only microfracture. A year and a half later I had to have all the previous stuff redone (except for the subluxation) and had the OATS, etc. Every time I had surgery though the OCDs got bigger and the arthritis got worse.

I think with the freak of nature comment that he only meant that you are not following the normal course of recovery that most OATS people have. Most do well. I had a dr. tell me they threw out the book after I was made because he never met anyone who had the odd things happen like to me. (That was with a few of my pregnancies, so it isn't just my ankle that is weird, it has been everything doesn't follow the rules). At least your OS has a clue to expect the unexpected now. I think mine are finally taking me serious when I bring up things like blood clots and infections. My OS told my mom after the last surgery he did on me that I also read up too much and get too detailed. But, I don't feel comfortable having a surgery without really knowing what is going on, in detail. I'm a detailed person and having blank spots in the story of what someone is doing to my body is not comforting to me. I feel much better if I know everything. Some people like to know nothing, but not me. Sometimes you just have to play dumb. I found that you can actually get a lot more info playing dumb from a dr. than you can if you try and have a somewhat intellectual conversation. That drives me nuts too. I think maybe sometimes the docs just like to be in full control. There are some that give me lots of info and others that get ticked if I ask the basic questions. I hang on to the ones that will speak to me as a human with a brain.
Sorry to go off topic there....
I have found with shoes that there is no rhyme or reason why some work better than others. I ended up finding a pair of Nikes that were on clearance. They are the only sneakers that I can walk somewhat like a human in. Why these? Who knows, but when I found they worked, I actually went on Ebay and bought another pair just like them. I have wasted a ton of money on shoes though because I try them on in the store and they feel okay and then when I get out in the real world I realize they aren't as great as I thought. Luckily my daughter wears the same size as me.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

Grace404 HB UserGrace404 HB User

Hi 2ScrewedUp -

My foot condition and resulting surgery pales in comparison to yours (hallux limitus rigidus), but my foot is larger from the swelling, which my dr and pt indicated could last for a year - I am now 8 weeks post-op.

I went to a running store (where I have been getting athletic shoes for a few years now - they analyze your foot while you walk on a treadmill) and got my favorite shoes - Brooks Adrenaline - in an extra wide (2E) - it has made all the difference in being able to walk comfortably.

Best wishes -
Grace

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Lol, hey wait, I don't want that award! (But at least then maybe we can come up with a use for the two fixators I'll have lying around

I can't believe I am looking forward to a boot! Who woulda thunk it!

Sad that we are so young yet so incapacitated ... Looking back now I would have treated my many many ankle sprains more seriously!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
(female)

Hi all: Love the comments & stories. I've decided to start at Star Wars Storm Trooper boot collection and a used parts store for anything foot/ankle related - you want it I got it. My second cast after surgery was bright pink & my brother drew a leg & ankle bone & wrote the words "All Screwed Up" & the date 5/21/09. He's an artist & I kept the cast - everyone loved it. Thanks to all for your support and encouragement.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
(female)

Questions for OATS veterans: Does anyone have screws in their ankle and have they shifted? I have 2 permanent screws (Trucor Plugs) & went to OS last Fri. for tendonitis & knee issues. He x-rayed ankle & it looked like screw closest to outside of ankle has shifted (I compared the x-ray to post surgery x-rays from 2009). He asked if I could feel screws/if they bothered me & said one look "prominent" on x-ray. I can feel them but they don't bother me now. Last Aug. I had ankle pain similar to pain before surgery & wonder if that was screw. I e-mailed OS asking if screws could/should shift & if that's ok. He said as long as they don't bother me, don't worry about them. Appreciate any insight.

Closed Thread