It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

cvolpe HB User
Bunions...The surgery and recovery 4wks in

Hi eveyone! I am so glad we have this space to share our experiences.

I had had bunions all my life..They came from my dad's side of the family (italians I tell you). My aunts had them removed, so it was a matter of time before I started this long hard process. I am 29yrs old, and I just knew they would keep growing and get worse with time like both my aunts and dad.

I have Kaiser ins. and I am a teacher so I decided to do it during summer. The doctor only recommended one foot, so I went for my right foot since it hurt the most. It was bunionnette and tailor's bunion (both sides). The sugery was only 45 min. Woke up w/no pain. I had lot pain when I would put my foot down or when I would try to walk with crutches so I opted hop like a bunny! Overall the pain was bad for 3 to 4 days. I took ibuprophen for the pain and swelling since pain meds made me sick and constipated, I just went off those heavy legal drugs.

2 weeks later they removed my stitches and my foot looked great. I have high pain tolerance so I started walking at 2 1/2 wks without crutches and by week 3, I took a short trip to the mall. I placed my weight on the heel and l only walk around the house to cook and clean. I try to listen to my foot but I must confess that it is very hard for me to just sit and heal. I massage my scar tissue every day with vitamin e. I massage it where it is painful on the scar to break the scar tissue. It is starting to look great.

I went to the gym at 3 1/2 weeks only worked out upper body and did 20 minutes bike (i regret that, but I cant go back ).

My big toe went back to pre op position and bumps developed where the bunions were on both sides. My small toe is very stiff. I went to the doctor and he said the big toe shifted back because it went back to its comfortable positio (he gave me a spacer for my big toe to try to keep it straight) . At this point I dont know what to believe. He said that internally it looks better than pre op. I will have xrays taken in two weeks. My foot is still really swollen and red, but it really doesn't hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Bunions...The surgery and recovery 4wks in

Hi cvolpe, I had the bunion and bunionette removed on my R foot three years ago. I had osteotomy (cutting through of bone) on both sides, with temporary pins to keep the bones in place while healing. Did you have osteotomy, or the bunions "shaved"?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
(female)

ohdandy HB User
Re: Bunions...The surgery and recovery 4wks in

i had mine done 2 weeks ago, got 2 pins in there. I was a bit worried that the big toe is leaning over loads so started wearing my night splint. I dont know if it will help. Doc seems pleased though. I was wondering how soon i can put the vit e oil on, did your doc say? i also bought silicone pads so will use them when i get them

Closed Thread