It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User
25 Weeks Post Op - Flat Foot Reconstruction

On February 22nd I under went flat foot reconstruction surgery: calcaneal osteotomy, cotton wedge osteotomy, kidner procedure, and gastroc recession.

I can't believe that in a week I will be 6 months post op. The past 6 months have been the hardest time in my life as I had many set backs and was also having to deal with loosing almost everything when my apartment building caught on fire in June. I remember back in Feb. when I found out about the surgery and wondered how I was ever going to get through it. As I look back now, I honestly can't believe I got through it. Incase you were wondering my set backs included: a pressure sore on my heel (right under where the doctor put in my screws) from getting switched from a cast to a boot at 6 weeks out, severe swelling and pain when I attempted to go back to work at 10 weeks post op - had then go back to only 4 hour days and then was able to return to work full time at 18 weeks post op, the skin around my cotton wedge osteotomy was dying and turning black due to the bone staple that was holding the bone graft into place causing havoc so I under went surgery to remove that on June 2nd. I also had to go back on crutches for a week or two due to havings lots of pain and inflammation and the doctor was worried about a stress fracture - luckily that is back under control again.

I am now currently battling pain in my heel due to the screws. The pain is normally only achy but occassionally I do get severe twinges of pain when I walk. My phsyical therapist thinks its from the bariatric pressure changing. I've been going to PT three times a week since April 7th and still have a few months to go. I am now able to do 60 step ups without pain and 60 leg presses without too much pain. However I am still having trouble with balance and doing things with just my surgical leg. I still am battling lots of tightness, cramps, and muscle knots/adhesions along my calf muscle. I'm really beginning to wonder if my calf muscle will ever get better. At times I'm glad that I under went the surgery and then other times I wonder what the heck I got myself into.

Last edited by april1985; 08-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: april1985
adbow (08-20-2011), lightstepper (08-17-2011), swimbunnie (08-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: 25 Weeks Post Op - Flat Foot Reconstruction

At 6 months, I was still getting lots of twinges and tightness and I did not have the complications you described and did not go back to work as soom as you. I did have my screws removed which helped a lot with that dull pain in my heel. I hope that you have smooth sailing from this point on

Old 08-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User

Roxygirl1 - How many months out did you have surgery to remove the screws? How was the recovery from getting the screws removed? I also had a question as far as PT goes... how long did you go to PT for? I'm making progress in PT but its slow and I've been going since April. I'm sure its just from all the setbacks I've had.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had the screws removed at 5 months. Prior to removing the screws, I had a ct scan to be sure that everything was completely healed. I was in pt a few months, mainly for rom. The strenght came back as I did more walking etc etc

Old 08-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I had my screws removed at 15 weeks post-op. I went back on pain killers for about 2 days and back on my walker for about 4 days. They didn't want my bones to move and irritate my stitches, so I laid low for 13 days until I had the sutures removed. No PT. Then I was off again! Having the screws out made for better joint mobility on the top of my foot and more comfort walking around without shoes from the heel ones. I've attached an x-ray so you can see where my screws were. I assume yours are in similar locations in your foot, too.

I have to tell you, I was very surprised the Dr. didn't say you have to wait 6 months or a year before screw removal. He had no problem removing them right away. No MRI, or CT scan has ever been done on my foot. Only x-rays, weight barring and non-weight barring. I'm glad I had the screws out. It's just another layer of discomfort gone from my life.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is where my screws were. It is amazing how long they are. Normally my doctor removed screws at 6 months plus. My doctor did the ct scan before removing the screws to be sure everything was COMPLETELY healed.

Closed Thread