It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User
Question heel pain after PTTD surgery/subtalar fusion

My tibial tendon transfer and subtalar fusion was June 6. I feel as though I've progressed; having gone from the wheelchair to the walker and now the cane.

I drove the car today..first time in 2 1/2 months...was great to do that! Problem is that I went into a store with the cane and the aircast on my operated foot.

I ended up having terrible heel pain; even while wearing the aircast. I had immediate relief as soon as I sat down. No way could I have done much looking around. I had to come home.

My question is; For those of you who have had the same surgery, did you have severe pain in the bottom of your heel after walking for awhile; wearing the aircast?

I have appt. with my surgeon next week. The therapist thinks that he will tell me that I don't have to wear the aircast anymore. Bet it'll really be painful when I'm just wearing shoes; although, I'm very much looking forward to wearing a pair of shoes.

I thank you. Zoeys Grammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Cool Re: heel pain after PTTD surgery/subtalar fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys Grammy View Post
My tibial tendon transfer and subtalar fusion was June 6. I feel as though I've progressed; having gone from the wheelchair to the walker and now the cane.

I drove the car today..first time in 2 1/2 months...was great to do that! Problem is that I went into a store with the cane and the aircast on my operated foot.

I ended up having terrible heel pain; even while wearing the aircast. I had immediate relief as soon as I sat down. No way could I have done much looking around. I had to come home.

My question is; For those of you who have had the same surgery, did you have severe pain in the bottom of your heel after walking for awhile; wearing the aircast?

I have appt. with my surgeon next week. The therapist thinks that he will tell me that I don't have to wear the aircast anymore. Bet it'll really be painful when I'm just wearing shoes; although, I'm very much looking forward to wearing a pair of shoes.

I thank you. Zoeys Grammy
I was nonweight bearing at 9 or 10 weeks. When getting into the boot, I used 2crutches for several weeks because everything hurt a lot, then I used one crutch. After maybe 4-5 weeks of that, I wasn't quite full weight bearing when I put on sneakers and then I was back on two crutches again until it felt better. So my take on your pain ZG is that it's normal.

About the screws: I got better steadily until I was 6 months post surgery and by then I walked sometimes even without a limp. Then the pain started to go the other way and began to hurt more. That's when I had the screws out. However, I have read on these boards others' stories where the folks that needed the screws out their foot hurt from the very beginning. At least that's what I remember.

Since the screw removal for me only helped the discomfort at the back of the heel and up into the achilles, I assume the screw was causing that pain. I still have pain on the outside of the bottom of foot, and the 4th and 5th metarsals due to the shift in weight bearing from the angle at which the joint is fused.

Adjusting my orthotic (a couple of weeks ago) helped some, but as I'm trying to be more mobile I find my metarsals and bottom of the foot and heel hurt a lot every day. Less with sneakers, more with more conventional shoes. Sometime ago, one of my doctors suggested I might have an overative nerve. And I need to discuss that possibilty with my surgeon when I contact him with the status since he adjusted the orthotic.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatfootDiva For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (08-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: heel pain after PTTD surgery/subtalar fusion

I didn't have fusion, but had FDL transfer, calcaneal slide, metatarsal fusion on June 1st and if I'm on it too long, oh yeah it hurts.

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

Thank you FlatfootDiva,

You continue to help me with your posts...much appreciated. Apparently the foot pain is not abnormal; considering the surgery that we've had. Hoping that the phrase "Time heels all wounds" is true.

Zoeys Grammy

Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks, Swimbunnie Apparently I'm going to have to endure pain for quite awhile yet. Am most hopeful that "better days are ahead."
Zoeys Grammy

Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
(male)

cduke HB Usercduke HB User

Flat Foot Diva, I was curious as to exactly what type of pain you were having prior to screw removal? Did you have a calcaneal osteotomy? My worst problem is the pain at the back of my heel. It feels like achilles tendonitis because the pain is at the top of my heel were the achilles inserts into my heel bone. Was your pain there? I'm not sure if it is coming from the screw in my heel from the calcaneal osteotomy or not. I'm 5 months post op lateral column lengthing, calcaneal osteotomy, and gastroc recession. I have made significant improvements in the past month but this achilles pain is really preventing me from walking like I want to. So Zoey, yes, even at 5 months I am having a great deal of heel pain as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to cduke For This Useful Post:
Zoeys Grammy (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
(female)

CDuke,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. FlatfootDiva has provided alot of useful info for all of us. Best of luck to you.

Zoeys Grammy

Old 08-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke View Post
Flat Foot Diva, I was curious as to exactly what type of pain you were having prior to screw removal? Did you have a calcaneal osteotomy? My worst problem is the pain at the back of my heel. It feels like achilles tendonitis because the pain is at the top of my heel were the achilles inserts into my heel bone. Was your pain there? I'm not sure if it is coming from the screw in my heel from the calcaneal osteotomy or not. I'm 5 months post op lateral column lengthing, calcaneal osteotomy, and gastroc recession. I have made significant improvements in the past month but this achilles pain is really preventing me from walking like I want to. So Zoey, yes, even at 5 months I am having a great deal of heel pain as well.
The pain I had that was helped by having the screw out was a catching sudden pain in the Achilles. The pain in the Achilles would occur suddenly when walking and was not constant. I have seen others on this board describe the pain like: being hit in the heel with a 2 by 4. mine was not that severe.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatfootDiva For This Useful Post:
cduke (08-21-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
(female)

Zoeys G, how are you doing? How's the heel pain and the pt?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I also had heal pain during the recovery process. For me, the pain was due to my achielles tendon being super tight. I had to work hard on stretching my achielles tendon. Massage therapy helped quite a lot for me. This helped get things back into alignment. Even after I returned to work after 4 months I still had to get up early to heat and stretch my achielles tendon.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatfootDiva View Post
Zoeys G, how are you doing? How's the heel pain and the pt?
Hi FlatfootDiva,

How special of you to take the time to ask how I'm doing...much appreciated.

I continue to go to therapy, 3 times a week. (darn $30 co-pay every time)

My physician & therapist both say that I have plantar f. I am out of the aircast now & trying to stretch my achilles heel; in order to help get rid of the pain.

Truthfully I'm still waddling & have hip pain, knee pain that must all be related. I don't want to limp & waddle & walk like I'm 94, instead of 64 (how'd I get to be 64 already)

My foot doesn't feel like it's my foot, actually. Time will tell whether or not I have to have the screw removed, as you did.

I am keeping a good attitude;knowing that I have a long way to go. Could always be worse for sure.

It's just been a difficult couple of years. Our only child at age 41 battled an agressive form of breast cancer. (she's not heavy like me & did everything right & still got it) My husband had an ileostomy. (that damn bag is a pain) My mother in law (age 87 is living with us since she needs care)

Sending a warm hug your way. It's Fall! My favorite season. I am unfamiliar with your city but familiar with Los Angeles since that is where my brother lives.

I hope that you are continuing to do well after all that major surgery.

Bye for now.

Zoeys Grammy

Last edited by moderator2; 09-27-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Closed Thread