It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

lillan HB User
Triple arthrodesis after STAR and osteotomy

Anyone had T.A. after STAR ankle replacement - this will be my 5th surgery on my right foot so I know what is involved pain and timewise but looking for any good advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Triple arthrodesis after STAR and osteotomy

What happened to your STAR? I'm scheduled to get one in Dec. and am curious what went wrong.

Sorry I can't answer your question about triple arthrodesis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
(female)

lillan HB User

nothing went wrong with the star - all ok - it is the rest of my foot that collapsed. can only say good things about the STAR - easy recovery in comparison to other surgeries - just took a few weeks and i was up. no pain in ankle today .

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Well that's reassuring that you liked the STAR, but it's horrible you have to have a fusion now. So I guess they have to take the STAR out to do the triple?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
(female)

lillan HB User

hi again - i have thought more about the StaR surgery and wanted to share some - stayed two nights in the hospital and was able to control pain with the nerveblock gadget - this gadget also came home with me and lasted for another three days (i think) and my husband took it out - no big deal. i was then on percocet for another few days - but pain was pretty much under control. after percocet i had some other drug but not that heavy. i had a wheelchair which works better for me than crutches - it hurt when the foot was down and i can work better in the kitchen with two hands. i just looked at my calendar and i see that i went to the theatre one month after surgery and took a one week trip to the seaside six weeks after surgery. so life could not have been that bad. can only wish you good luck!

as for my upcoming surgery - no the STAR is still good - they will go around it and i will still be able to move the ankle up and down but not sideways.

my doctor's advice is the three E's: elevate, elevate, elevate!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that is good you get to keep the STAR.

I was wondering about pain. I have CRPS or RSD in that leg and so I will need an epidural at least the whole time I'm in the hospital which I think is generally 3 days. My pain management dr. said he would prefer I stay longer and keep the epidural in for 5-7 days. WHere was your nerve thingy? I had one before, and ON-Q and it was in my leg but because the RSD is in my entire leg, I can't have any blocks there.

The following user gives a hug of support to K_Lana:
lillan (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
(female)

lillan HB User

my doc only wanted me to stay in hospital for one day but it turned out to be two - of course there was pain after the nerve block wore off - i do not know about epidurals. i am sure that will take care of the initial pain, after that percocet worked just fine as long as i overlapped the pills - i just found my notes (yes, i write down every pill and hour that i take them - i set the alarm for every 3 hours - that way you do not get confused) - i like to be in control of my pain not the pain overtaking me.

Closed Thread