It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

hovercrust HB User
I accidentally tripped -- subtalar fusion

I underwent subtalar fusion surgery 5 weeks ago. I was walking with my crutchets non weight bearing as usual when there was some water on the floor. I tripped and found myself on the floor on my knees with my bad foot toes touching the floor for a few seconds.
I am really worried. Do you think it ruined the fusion or did the plaster/cast saved it.

Help

The following user gives a hug of support to hovercrust:
Zoeys Grammy (08-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User
Re: I accidentally tripped -- subtalar fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercrust View Post
I underwent subtalar fusion surgery 5 weeks ago. I was walking with my crutchets non weight bearing as usual when there was some water on the floor. I tripped and found myself on the floor on my knees with my bad foot toes touching the floor for a few seconds.
I am really worried. Do you think it ruined the fusion or did the plaster/cast saved it.

Help
Hi Hovercrust,

You won't know for sure unless you call your surgeon & schedule an xray.

To answer you, reading what you wrote, if I had to guess I'd say that no, you didn't ruin anything by just touching toes for a few seconds; wearing the cast.

I had my subtalar fusion on June 6. I had an incident(3 weeks out) where I ended up putting my foot down accidently. I screamed because it hurt so badly. (was wearing an aircast at the time) I, also, was worried sick that I had ruined the procedure. I did not do any damage to the surgery.

Good luck to you. I've learned alot from this healthboard and am looking forward to wearing shoes & walking painfree, one day.

Zoeys Grammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
(female)

hovercrust HB User

I am scheduled to have an x-ray next week so i ll guess i ll wait till then.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

About one week out from flatfoot reconstruction surgery, I tripped going down steps during pt session and like you touched down on my toes while in the splint. It didn't hurt real bad so I figured I was (and turned out to be) ok. If your pain wasn't too bad, you are probably ok, but its good to follow up with your doctor.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

I touched down my foot a bit during the first few weeks and a few weeks later once again. Each time I felt some pain and a kind of ache for a few hours, but nothing was harmed. The cast protects the fusion and tendon.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
(male)

boxerc1 HB User

I had my ankle fusion 12 months ago, all has gone well since I had the surgery, even though I put some weight on it when I tripped a couple of weeks after my op. The cast did its job and no harm done. Since I've had my op I am completely painfree for the first time in at least 20 years. I trust all will go well for you and wish you all the best'

The following user gives a hug of support to boxerc1:
hovercrust (08-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to boxerc1 For This Useful Post:
hovercrust (08-26-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I also tripped and came down on my surgical foot at 3 weeks out, and everything was fine. In fact, I not only did this once but did trip twice putting my weight on my foot. My surgeon took x-rays both times and everything was fine. They said the cast really protects the work done and it is hard to mess it up. Chances are in your favor that everything is ok.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
(female)

hovercrust HB User

Thankas for all support guys.
I went to see surgeon today. Xray it looks like its fusing everything's fine

i will weight bear on a cast shoe in 2 weeks time.

6 weeks post op now

The following user gives a hug of support to hovercrust:
Zoeys Grammy (08-26-2011)
Closed Thread