It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Nerve pain 10 months post flatfoot surgery

I had PTT repair, transfer, calf lengthening and subtalar fusion on Oct. 1 last year. The tendon and arch are fixed and stable. Unfortunately I have pain from the realignment of the weight distribution due to the fusion. Adjustment to the orthotic helps some. Recently since becoming more active, after doing a lot of walking my 4 and 5 th metatarsals and my toes have residual type of burning pain. And some internal, but not surface, numbness. At one point a few months ago one of my docs said something about "nerve pain" but we haven't discussed it since. Anyone have this type of pain? And what's the treatment? I seem to remember someone on this Board (a woman) having some sort of nerve pain diagnosis related to flatfoot reconstruction, but don't remember who it was. Thanks for your advice!

The following user gives a hug of support to FlatfootDiva:
Zoeys Grammy (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Nerve pain 10 months post flatfoot surgery

I'm curious...does it feel like someone has a pair of pliers hooked to the side of your foot? Kind of a sharp, pinching feeling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Last August I had flatfoot reconstruction. I developed the same burning pain you describe. For me the burning pain would come and go but when it was there it really hurt. When I discussed it with my surgeon he said I had nerve damage and that more then likely it was temporary. He said that as careful as surgeon's are, sometimes just moving the nerves out of the way could cause nerve damage. He said it rarely happened, but when it does it is usually temporary. He prescribed Lyrica for me and it worked wonderful for me. After about a week of taking Lyrica the burning pain subsided. I was very lucky, it was temporary. After a couple of months I weaned myself off the Lyrica and to my surprise the burning pain was no longer an issue. Ask your doctor to prescribe Lyrica for you. I took it twice a day - once in the morning and once at night until I got used to it. After I got used to the Lyrica, I only took it at night (two pills). Until you get used to it, it will make you very tired. I have just started taking it again due to having bilateral ankle sprains and tendonitis - the injury caused me to develop the same burning pain in my ankles. It helps relieve the pain but it does take a little time to get used to it. Hopefully if you start taking it, it will also help you.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
(female)

Battlemaiden HB User

Hi FlatfootDiva. I'm writing to you from England where I'm awaiting subtalar joint fusion surgery. It was your very helpful post that first brought me to this site -- the one you wrote shortly after sugery and spoke about the usefulness of a knee scooter.

I'm writing now to ask you that now you're a couple of years post-op, how is your ankle functioning. Is it better or worse than before surgery? Do you think it was worth it or do you regret it? Are you able to Walk (I'm really worried about the possibility of not being able to hike with my dogs, or climb over rocks with them at the beach). I'd be really gad of any info or advice you could give em.

Also, were there any ankle braces that you found helpful before surgery -- and after?

Hoping to hear back from you. Thanks FFD.

Battlemaiden

Last edited by moderator2; 10-03-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Hi Battlemaiden! I have undergone the subtalar fusion. I have had some unexpected set backs due to an incident at physical therapy. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. The knee scooter is a must in my opinion. I cannot imagine not having it! I also had a talonavicular fusion as well as achilles lengthening too when I had the subtalar fusion done.

Flatfoot, I see your post was last year but I also have the same nerve burning sensation at the same toes from my subtalar fusion. My doctor said it was a normal side effect and warned me about it before surgery. At one point in time I couldn't stand anything to touch those toes but that has since subsided. I never had to take an medication for it. How are you doing after your fusion?

Take care everyone!
~Kimberly

Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
(female)

jlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB User

Hi Battlemaiden. I don't know if FFDiva is currently active on this board although I too found a lot of her posts helpful as I have gone through this process.

I had a subtalar fusion almost 15 months ago and although it's a long recovery I am definitely glad I went through it. I am 46 years old and have 2 teenage kids and I didn't want to keep missing out on doing stuff with them because I had to spend all my off work hours with my foot elevated & iced! Now I can be on my feet all day at work and my feet feel really good. Some nights they can be a little stiff and if I over do it (hiking, sightseeing, etc) my feet let me know and I have to wrap them up, but mostly it's really good. As long as you have a qualified surgeon and you follow their instructions you can expect to be walking with those dogs.

You do need to know though that with a fusion like this it reduces the side to side motion which is also what we use to balance. Uneven terrain (like those rocks you mentioned) will be a bit harder.

Good luck & keep us posted on how you're doing

Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Cool Re: Nerve pain 10 months post flatfoot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKanner View Post
Flatfoot, I see your post was last year but I also have the same nerve burning sensation at the same toes from my subtalar fusion. My doctor said it was a normal side effect and warned me about it before surgery. At one point in time I couldn't stand anything to touch those toes but that has since subsided. I never had to take an medication for it. How are you doing after your fusion?

Take care everyone!
~Kimberly
Hi, My surgury was two years ago. The nerve pain on the top and outside of my foot has gotten significantly better, and no more burning, but it still aches some when I walk several blocks. I expect that at two years post surgery what I experience now will be final.

What I find really "cures" my problem is wearing very hard soled clogs or shoes by D*****, where the bottom of the shoe doesn't bend and the pressure on the foot is even, not to the outside. I just wish they were made in a larger size as I'm to the last size and the closed shoes don't fit me, just the slides or sandals.

All of my other problems that the surgury was intended to correct are good and I'm generally pain free, sometime the tendon is sore, or I feel my arch a bit sore, but otherwise the surgery worked just fine. And I'm glad I did it.

Unfortunately, I need surgery on my other (left) foot and since it's not very bad, I'm having a hard time deciding to just - do it now. The doc says its better to do it before something tears. I'm going to get a new orthotic for that foot that has an ankle brace attached to it. Let's see if I wear it, and if it helps!

Closed Thread