It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
(male)

cduke HB Usercduke HB User
5 months post-op flat foot reconst.

I'm 5 months post-op from calcaneal osteotomy, lateral column lengthening, and gastroc recession. I really struggled the first 4 months. Then I started PT and I have made large strides over the last month. I'm off the cane now and most of the pain on the outside of my foot has calmed down. My biggest problem now is a constant pain in the back of my heel. The longer I'm on my feet, the more it hurts. I have had problems with this spot ever since I got my cast off. This spot is on the top outside part of my heel where the achilles attaches. It feels like achilles tendonitis. This problem really prohibits my walking as it does not allow me to push off and go through my whole gait.

I'm just wondering if the problem is coming from the screw in my heel. Many people have two long screws but I only have one. The pain is not at the screw site but actually above it. I'm not scheduled to see my doc again until another month. Has anyone had to remove screws in their heel because of this type of pain? What were the symptoms of you all who had heel screw removal? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User
Re: 5 months post-op flat foot reconst.

My son has some discomfort in that area at 41 weeks post op. I am suspecting the screw also (he too has only 1 screw).Feels it mostly when barefoot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had the same problem at about 5 months post op when I returned to work and my activity level increased. It lasted about two months and then gradually improved. I was concerned and called the surgeon. He said that the sensation was normal. If you are concerned, you may want to call your doctor

Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had the same problem also as well as a constant cracking. My surgeon started me on heat/massage therapy and it helped get things back in alignment and things really improved.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
(male)

Thanks you guys for the responses. Roxy, did yours improve because you had the screws taken out or did it have anything to do with the screws in your heel? I'm confused if mine is coming from the screw or if its because my achilles is so tight. Things have loosened up some but I still have a ton of tightness.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had two things going on. The screws made it feel like someone was hitting me on the bottom of my foot with a board. Screw removal helped that a lot. I also had tightness in the achillese tendon. That was a separate issue

Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I had my screws out at 3.5 months. My heel was "uncomfortable" in bare feet but not painful like you describe. I had two screws in my heel and one above on the outside of my foot. Having them out made my foot more comfortable and flexible.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
(male)

Thanks for the replies. Yeh, this problem really doesn't feel like it's coming from the screw but I just can't figure out why it's not getting much better. The more I'm on my feet the more it bothers me and I feel like I just can't stretch enough. Hopefully this will improve with time.

Last edited by cduke; 08-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yeh, this problem really doesn't feel like it's coming from the screw but I just can't figure out why it's not getting much better. The more I'm on my feet the more it bothers me and I feel like I just can't stretch enough. Hopefully this will improve with time.
I am feeling the same close to 6 months from this. I have pain daily and walking is a major pain in the rear. I am seeing my surgeon next month. I am giving this to January and if I'm no better I want all of my screws out.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
(male)

I don't go back to the doctor until the end of September. Bad thing is I wanted to ask my doc about this last time, but my last two appointments, he hasn't been there. I had to talk to the PA. I also doubt my feet will ever be pain free. I just hope I can get rid of the major pain, especially in my heel. It would be real nice if I could stop my feet from aching after standing on them for any length of time. I pray this surgery will help that as well but it hasn't so far.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I too worry about ever being totally pain free. I also worry about how my body has had to respond and heal with foreign objects in there. I just take it one day at a time and hope the subsequent day is better than the previous.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I know it seems a long time has gone by from the time you had surgery. It really has not. At five months post-op I still had lot of pains and aches. Although my recovery certainly had its ups and downs - after returning to work I ended up with a stress fracture of my tibia. After I hit 9 - 10 months my foot felt great. At this point I was able to quickly go up and down several flights of stairs at work. Hang in there, it really will get so much better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
cduke (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
I know it seems a long time has gone by from the time you had surgery. It really has not. At five months post-op I still had lot of pains and aches. Although my recovery certainly had its ups and downs - after returning to work I ended up with a stress fracture of my tibia. After I hit 9 - 10 months my foot felt great. At this point I was able to quickly go up and down several flights of stairs at work. Hang in there, it really will get so much better.
Thank you so much for your insight. It has helped me so much. I feel so close to my goal but in reality it just seems so far off course. Still have alot of folks asking your still limping? Kinda funny now. If anything I am glad I feel a bit more normal.

Closed Thread