It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User
Velvetrain - Recovery

Velvetrain - I was curious to see how your recovery process is going as you are just a week or so behind me in the journey. Yesterday marked my 6 months post op and honestly I'm not very happy with where I am. I've been doing PT three times a week since April and still have a ways to go. I'm still incredibly tight in my calf and arch which doesn't help. Also am having trouble with the screws in my heel. I'm having pain on a daily basis and am beginning to wonder if this is going to be as good as it gets. I'm really sick of all the setbacks I've been having.

I hope that things are going better for you!

Last edited by mod85; 09-13-2011 at 03:27 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to april1985:
lightstepper (08-23-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

Re: Velvetrain - Recovery

I'm hoping that since I haven't heard from you lately that things are going well for you! I'll take it as a good sign.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I had my six month visit today. I am not entirely pleased with my progress but have to remind myself I recently had major foot surgerey and won't be 100% at least until a year out. My surgeon told me this again that from his experience and research with paitients show that by the 10th month most are remarkably better. I'm riding this out at least to this point.

I am having considerable pain in the back of my heel. He thinks it's due to the screw from the osteotomy. I have 7/10 pain in that area almost daily. Ouch. I also have pain on the lateral side of my foot at times which I perceive is from the implant. My doctor doesn't seem to worried about that and thinks it's probably nerve irritation. I'm more worried about my heel at this point. I'm scheduled back in early December. If my heel still hurts I'll see if he can schedule me for removal in January or February. Personally I'm scared of another cut occurring in this poor foot but if it's going to relieve my pain I have to go through it.

My heelchord still is tight. I stretch it daily with minimal improvement. Turns out my orthotics were made incorrectly which got me in the bad habit of weightbearing on the lateral border of my foot which is a bad habit. I still limp but its much less than it was in June. My gait speed is still off. I'm unable to do steps well so I don't bother and just take the elevators. The area of the tendon repair is great. No pain or irritation. Foot looks great with zero swelling.

I guess I need to be happy with where I am at this point. I'm where your at. Not yet pain free yet. It's discouraging but I try to focus on the positives. I'm way better now than I was before surgery as the pain was worse.

Last edited by mod85; 09-13-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

April I thought they removed your screws?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

No, they haven't removed my screws. I did have the bone staple removed that was holding the bone graft at 3 months out but it was too early to remove the screws at the time. It looks as if I will be having to get them removed in the near future though.

I'm finally starting to get relief in my calf. My surgeon put me on Flexeril (muscle relaxer) about two weeks ago. For the first time in PT yesterday I didn't have any pain when they were doing massage along the gastroc - most of the muscle knots have dispersed. Unfortunetly I've been having increased pain the arch and am very tight all along there. It was making working very difficult as I go to PT right before work and then work from 2:30 to 11 at night. They recently started putting a 24 hour pain patch along the arch which is making working a little more bareable.

I see my surgeon again on Sept 26th so I will be curious to hear what he has to say. I'm trying to stay upbeat as I'm better off than alot of people as I can get around and walk without assistance. I may be in pain but atleast I can get around and walk. I'm greatful to be almost 7 months out and not just starting the recovery process. I just hope that things continue to get better and that this isn't the best that its going to get.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
(male)

cduke HB Usercduke HB User

Velvetrain, I'm 6 months out and having almost the identical problems you are. There's lots of pain in my heel that won't allow me to walk normal and still some pain on the outside of the foot. I still can't stay on my feet very long and struggle making it through a full day of work. My foot and ankle are also extremely tight.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
(female)

rittie14 HB User

My flat foot reconstruction surgery was March 1st and I had my 6 month check up yesterday. I have pain and tightness in my arch. My heel and my tarsals also are uncomfortable. I do have some arthritis in my tarsals also. In July, I got a shot in my tarsals and that helped for a while. Yesterday, my doctor suggested that I have a plate removed from my arch and the 7 screws taken out from the other areas. He also wants to take off part of a bone where my talus and calcaneus meet.

What experience have any of you had after removal of the hardware in your foot? My doctor said that about 80% of people have this done. Has it provided relief from pain when walking and standing? Right now I can only go a short time without pain from being on my foot. He said it will take a year to be better. Is it worth it to undergo surgery again?

Closed Thread