It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

thetipsygypsy HB User
Unhappy foot tendinitis! 6 weeks now. is there hope?! (depressed in NY)

i know this thread is common, and on the one hand, i'm SO glad i'm not the only one suffering. most of my friends don't get my agony! it all started in july. i was having minor pain at the top of my foot for a few days and thought nothing of it. i had it back in the winter and it went away in a couple of days then. however, this time it only got worse. i went to the beach as usual, and not sure if it was the barefoot walking, running into the water, or slipping on some seaweed that did it, but all of a sudden i couldn't walk normally; my foot kept overpronating outward. it was stiff, a bit swollen and generally did not feel good. two days later made an appt. with a podiatrist. she told me my tendon was inflammed and suggested custom made orthotics. generally, she was very dismissive and didn't make it sound like a biggie. i knew NOTHING of tendinitis and thought it would all be solved in a couple of weeks. NOPE.

i don't have health insurance and i have to work 45 hours a week in NYC (thank GOD it's a sitting job!), so this has all been very taxing on my mind, body and spirit. instead of custom made othotics i got semi-rigid superfeet orthotics. i did physical therapy 3 times a week for 3 weeks. overall, i THINK i improved but maybe i just got used to it. walking around the house is significantly easier (i wear 1-inch wedges -- only house shoes i have that aren't flats!!!). my foot is far more flexible now, and i can move my toes again). outside i wear pumas with the orthotics. the pumas (though my doc said they are okay) feel worse than my wedges! i wear that outside. needless to say, even the 4 block walk from the train is gruesome. some days i feel almost back to normal, others i feel tender, sore, achy. generally, walking outside is almost never without pain. i know i have a tendency toward hypochondria and everyone thinks i'm overthinking it, but this *** hurts! and it's frustrating! i am not a patient person as is. i am used to long strolls, dancing at clubs all night, going places... i can't even get to work without feeling sore, limping a bit, and being incredibly self-conscious around hordes of people (and wondering who i'm ******* off by being slow).

i'm 24 years old, so you can imagine how shocking this is to me.

i stopped doing physical therapy because it conflicts with my work schedule (plus, no health insurance). i notice i can now walk almost straight (i test this out barefoot to see if i can put my foot fully down and walk). the swelling is less and sometimes seems altogether gone. other times seems to get worse. basically, it's all over the damn place! i was told i have low arches and this really concerns me as i do not want flat feet! i try elevating, icing, massaging, icyhot, etc. all i can... i do calf stretches. 6 weeks now and i'm not sure if this is EVER going away. i am considering new shoes or even a special boot. any suggestions?

i am so sorry this is long-winded! i am DESPERATE for help! and i'm scared! i miss my old life where i would go out with my friends. who knew something as simple as a tendon injury could drastically alter lives? now i simply miss walking without pain. and feel i would do anything for a pleasant summer stroll again.

help! advise, console, something!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User
Re: foot tendinitis! 6 weeks now. is there hope?! (depressed in NY)

I would see a foot and ankle OS and get a proper diagnosis. Which tendon is it? You need to have all the details. Also, an OS might suggest you wear a boot for a few weeks to rest your foot. My son lost a whole summer being misdiagnosed with extensor tendonitis by a podiatrist. When he didn't improve after weeks in a boot, I took him to an OS who examined him and said he doubted it was that and ordered an MRI.It turned out he had an occult ganglion cyst.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
(female)

Emerald31 HB User
Re: foot tendinitis! 6 weeks now. is there hope?! (depressed in NY)

Definitely get your ankle looked at by a orthopedic who specializes in foot and ankle problems. I went to a podiatrist in 2010 who diagnosed me with tendinitis and bursitis in my foot and ankle. Continued to have pain even with PT, multiple weeks in a boot, and orthotic. When I asked him about the continued pain he still stated tendinitis. Finally went to a foot and ankle ortho for a 2nd opinion he diagnosed me with a tear to 2 tendons in my ankle along with the tendinitis. Having surgery next week to repair them.

Closed Thread