It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

dl84 HB User
foot/heel surgery

Hello Everyone,

Ive had flat feet for as long as i can remember. After seeing several Orthopedic Surgeons and Podiatrists, one has finally suggested an operation. He first had me try a motion control shoe and previous doctors gave me custom orthodics. Nothing seemed to work, so he wants to do a heel surgery. I wish i knew the name of it, but pretty much there going to move my heel over and bolt it into place which will give me a slight arch.

Is there anyone thats gone through a similar operation? If so, how long was the healing process? When were you able to walk again?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: foot/heel surgery

That procedure is called a calcaneal osteotomy. Now you can look it up.

There have been quite a few people on this board recovering from it. It works well for some people, but the recovery time is substantial. I would get a second opinion first, ask one of the other doctors you saw whether this is a good option in your particular case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I had the "All American Procedure" which is several different procedures done at once to correct flat feet. One of them was to move my heel over and put two screws in as you describe. I was in a splint for 2 weeks and a cast for 6. Recovery was to be in bed with the foot elevated for all 8 weeks. After the cast comes off, it will be several more weeks of recovery to learn to walk again and get the pain under control. Very long recovery for sure. I'm about 5 months post op and still have some pain and am still in physical therapy.

I started a thread where people have posted before and after x-rays if you are interested. It is quite a dramatic change in your anatomy. Amazing what they can do!

Good luck to you!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Do you have pain due to the flat foot? The surgery is involved and the recovery is long and difficult. The success rate is not real high. However, choosing the right doctor increases your odds of a good outcome. I had flat foot surgery a year ago. For me, the surgery was a good choice as I am doing so much better now than prior to surgery. The main point I want to make is not to go into this surgery lightly. If you really need this surgery, then make sure you have a realistic picture of the recouperation. Be sure you use a doctor that has a lot of experience in flat foot surgery. Good luck with your decision

Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
(male)

dl84 HB User

Yes i do have pain, sometimes its where the arch of my foot should be. I also started having knee pain, where feels like my knee is going to give out. My feet are flat, they are flush to the ground and i have these nasty bunions. The bunions started to ache as well. I went to new york for the summer. After about 15 min of walking, i had to sit down.

Im 27 years old, ive been seeing a foot doctor since my freshman year in highschool. They started with orthotics and i ended up breaking them. Later on a podiatrist sold me some athletic ankle braces and orthotics, which made my foot hurt even more. I asked my primary care physician to refer me to the Michael Jordan of Orthopedic Surgeons. The doctor that i saw, said he didnt want to operate and to use a motion control shoe. I then looked for a second opinion and the doctor said the same, so i went back to Michael Jordan and he said i should operate.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
(male)

dl84 HB User

oh yeah he also said hes batting a 1000, which means he hasnt failed yet, but im not sure how many he has done.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Honestly, I would take it with a grain of salt that he has a 100% success rate. Even top surgeons that do several weekly have some outcomes that are not great. I would ask how often he does the surgery, exactly what proceedures he plans to do, what the post op protocol will be, will the surgery be in/out patient, how will pain be managed and what possible complications could arise. When I "interviewed" the doctors, I had a list of questions so I did not forget to ask important questions. I went for a total of four opinions before having the surgery. For me, the surgery (5 proceeures) gave me my life back but things can also go wrong. Choose your doctor wisely.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I agree with Roxygirl1. This surgery is huge. Remember, your feet have to carry your full body weight when you recover and you have to be sure you choose wisely. Don't be afraid to ask the tough questions and compare how each doctor answers. Make sure in the end that you trust the doctor who performs the surgery, it is important.

Closed Thread