It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

Twix HB UserTwix HB UserTwix HB User
Questions about flat foot rec. recovery

Hey guys! It's been a little over 12 weeks since I had flat foot reconstruction on my right foot. (gastroc recession, modified Kidner procedure, subtalar arthroereisis, cotton osteotomy) At this point in my recovery I am wearing an Aircast brace with tennis shoes and I still have a limp/hitch in my step when I walk. The doc said 3 months post op is still early and I may not have a normal gait for another 1-3 months, and it'll probably be several more months until I feel 100% normal. Right now my main pain is in my ankle when I walk (pain in the front of the ankle that starts to radiate down to the top of my foot the more I try to bend and use the ankle as I walk, and also pain where the doc did the subtalar arthroereisis) For the people who've had that procedure done, how long did it take for you to be pain free? I know the doc said it could take awhile and it's still early but I want to hear from yall's experiences! ALSO, when I try walking barefoot on a hard surface, like hardwood floors, the bottom of my heel REALLY hurts. if I walk on carpet or a mat the pain significantly lessens. Has anybody experienced this? How soon did it go away? I don't walk much without the brace and tennis shoe, but if I just want to walk to the bathroom without them, it's really painful because of the heel (I have no screws down there). Hmm.. oh yeah, I have a question about my knee! Since I've walked my entire life with my foot pointed outward, I think it affected my knee. Now that I'm walking straighter, it's really uncomfortable for my knee and I feel like it points in too much. For anybody who's had this type of issue, did the knee realign itself properly by itself over time?
Alright.. one last question! My left foot has not had the surgery yet so it is still as flat as a pancake. I fear having one arched foot and one flat foot will throw off alignment a lot and I don't want to have a bunch of new problems because of it. Any experience with this? I won't be having surgery for the left foot for another 9 months.
I think that's all of my questions...
I know that I just need more time and I'm pretty sure everything is going normally, I'm just a little anxious because I'll be moving back to college soon (after Hurricane Irene moves on!) and I'll be doing a lot more walking.

Last edited by Twix; 08-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Questions about flat foot rec. recovery

Hi Twix!

I can't address all your questions, but maybe a couple of them I can share my experience.

I am 22 weeks post op and I remember having that pain sooo bad in my heel after the cast came off for 4 weeks or more. I had my screws taken out and that helped a ton with that pain while walking barefoot. It is still sensitive even now, but nothing like it was. Do you have screws there?

My knee is messed up, but I thought it was because I kept it bent for the whole 8 weeks I had to elevate it while the cast was on. I never thought about the rotation of my foot. You bring up a good point! I'll have to ask my physical therapist about that.

I, too am worried about my "good" foot. It is falling in, but no pain yet. My Doc said to bring my orthodics to see if I need new ones or not next time I see him in Oct. I hope there isn't surgery for that one in the future. Sounds like you are pretty sure your other one will be done in the future?

Be safe in the Hurricane!! It's headed our way on Sunday. Hope your foot feels better.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

[QUOTE=lightstepper;4830590]Hi Twix!

I can't address all your questions, but maybe a couple of them I can share my experience.

I am 22 weeks post op and I remember having that pain sooo bad in my heel after the cast came off for 4 weeks or more. I had my screws taken out and that helped a ton with that pain while walking barefoot. It is still sensitive even now, but nothing like it was. Do you have screws there?

My knee is messed up, but I thought it was because I kept it bent for the whole 8 weeks I had to elevate it while the cast was on. I never thought about the rotation of my foot. You bring up a good point! I'll have to ask my physical therapist about that.

I, too am worried about my "good" foot. It is falling in, but no pain yet. My Doc said to bring my orthodics to see if I need new ones or not next time I see him in Oct. I hope there isn't surgery for that one in the future. Sounds like you are pretty sure your other one will be done in the future?

Be safe in the Hurricane!! It's headed our way on Sunday. Hope your foot feels better.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply! The thing is, I DON'T have any screws in my heel. That's why I'm a little confused about the heel pain. I did ask my pt about it and she told me to roll it with a tennis ball like I do with my arch and see if it helps... So I've been doing that and I'm waiting to see if it works..
And yeah, the best explanation I can think of for my knee problem is the new alignment throwing it off. Before I has surgery my foot pointed outward and my knee experienced more and more pain over the years and seemed to be trying to align itself to the (improper) way I walked? Now that I'm trying to walk with my foot more straight, it seems that the knee is completely thrown off and I can visibly see that it looks.. wrong.. I'll have to bring it up to my pt, too!
And about my left foot.. I'm pretty positive I'll be having the surgery for it too, because I was born with flat feet, they've been flat my entire life, and have never responded to conservative treatment. I'm just sick of the pain and fatigue and never having the opportunity to play a sport or even take a long walk with a friend. I'm 19 years old and I don't want to miss out on any more of my life, and things have just been getting worse over the past few years. I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that I can lead a more normal life after these surgeries.
Be safe in the hurricane as well! I hope the rest of your recovery goes well!
Oh, here's a pic of before&after x-rays from the side so there's a better idea of where the screws and such are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before & After.jpg (84.0 KB, 23 views)

Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

Yeah...your PT can help you with your knee. Mine gave me some exercises and has been taping it for support. It is doing a bit better, but I still feel it. My hip is a little messed up from elevating the foot for so long. Is your hips ok? My chiropractor is thrilled with the new foot anatomy though. My hips are more level. He adjusted my knee this week and next week he was going to try some trigger point stuff with it to see if that helps.

I was born with flat feet, too, but have never had a problem at all until I sat on this stupid tendon and ripped it. Now I can see all kinds of problems with the left foot. I guess I won't do anything with it unless it starts to hurt.

Ok, now that is odd. You don't have any screws in your heel at all. Did they do anything to your heel? Incisions? Nerve damage?

I hope you get pain relief soon!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

I think she has an implant in the sinus tarsi so no screws.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

lightstepper, yes I have been feeling pain in my hips along with the knees and I'm pretty sure it's because things aren't level at the moment.

My feet have hurt for as long as I can remember and I don't really see any other option except to surgically fix them. I hope your left foot doesn't start giving you pain!

And indaslot is correct! That's where the implant is, and it's nothing to do with the heel. I have an incision on the left side of my foot, the top, and the right side, but not the heel. I also have an incision on the back side of my calf (from the gastrocnemius recession to help with my gastroc contracture). I have no idea what could be causing the heel pain but I suppose I'll just have to give it more time.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Twix, the pain might be some referred pain from your Achilles tendon.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
(female)

[QUOTE=swimbunnie;4830739]Twix, the pain might be some referred pain from your Achilles tendon.[/QUOTE]

That actually does make sense.. thanks
And I've been rolling the bottom of my heel on a tennis ball like my pt suggested and it's actually helped some.. hmm!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
(female)

rfoot2011 HB User

Hello! I had subtalar arthroereisis/bunionectomy/removal of accessory navicular bone June 1, 2011 (so almost 4 mos ago). I have an implant in my right ankle for flat foot reconstruction and 2 screws in my foot from the bunion. I am currently doing PT. I am wearing a brace and in tennis shoes. I walk with a limp that is getting better. I have the pain/pressure in my heel and where the implant is (just below my ankle). I take an ibuprofen 800 mg in the morning and that is usually it. I see my surgeon this Thursday. He never told me I could have these kind of problems (only that I could feel the pressure from the implant and that most people get used to it). Anyway, today it is feeling a little better and I am hoping it will continue. I am interested in hearing your replies. I was exercising up until the surgery and now not being able to exercise normally is depressing me.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

My surgery was also June 1st. I'm weaning myself out of the boot (my job requires a lot of time on my feet and the floors are concrete slabs.) and just beginning the tough stage of pt. There still is quite a bit of pain, but that is to be expected. It takes a while for things to heal.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
(female)

rfoot2011 HB User

[QUOTE=swimbunnie;4850099]My surgery was also June 1st. I'm weaning myself out of the boot (my job requires a lot of time on my feet and the floors are concrete slabs.) and just beginning the tough stage of pt. There still is quite a bit of pain, but that is to be expected. It takes a while for things to heal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply swimbunnie! it made me feel better. Do you have an implant in your foot as well (I don't know what the name of mine is)? Walking 1st thing in the morning and at night are the worst for me. It feels at times like I am walking on a stick or rock. I guess you are right and it just takes a while and I am just getting very impatient. I would love to hear more about what you had done!!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
(female)

I had three procedures...calcaneal slide, tmt fusion, and FDL tendon transfer. If you check out my profile, I have my post op xrays there. I know what you mean about the morning/evening pain issues. My worst problem right now is midfoot when I walk. Doc said that would be an issue, not only b/c of screws for fusion there, but also bones in midfoot lose hardness from nwb so long. I've had knee reconstruction surgery before so I know to see improvement up to a year or more after surgery. Best of luck!

Closed Thread