It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

amainc HB Useramainc HB User
Reconstructive Foot Surgery 11 weeks out

Hi all! I've not posted on this board but have read several posts since my foot surgery on June 14th. I don't really care to know the medical terminology of the procedures that I had done but in layman's terms I had my heal bone cut and moved and secured in place with two staples, achilles lengthened, auxillary navicular bone removed and the tendon re-attached with two tendon anchors, and my big toe lowered with a cadaver bone wedged in and covered with a plate and four screws. My last doctor's appointment was almost four weeks ago when he put me in a 3rd cast but made this one a walking cast and I have been walking without crutches or any assistance since week 8 out of surgery. I can feel my foot getting stronger and stronger each day and have not had any problems. I have not had any pain since 3 to 4 days out of surgery and haven't taken any pain meds since. I do experience some discomfort in my heel towards the end of the day after I've been on my foot most of the day. I am also a stay at home dad that works from home and have been keeping my three year old little girl since week 8.

I find it interesting that my surgeon used some different techniques such as the staples in the heel and also not putting in any screws that need to be removed. Just reading the posts relating to people having screws in their feet that have to be removed just sounds painful to me. After reading this I'm wondering if that is why I've not had much pain from walking? My surgeon did tell me that he quit using screws in the heel after too many complaints from patients being extremely uncomfortable or in pain. Other than the occasional discomfort in the heel I couldn't be more pleased with my progress. I'm supposed to get the cast off on Monday and I'm sure I'll be in a walking boot for a couple of weeks then move to my shoes with some type of supporting brace. Sorry for writing a novel but just wanted to get out what I had done and will be happy to share my experiences with anyone that has any questions. I also appreciate everyone that has posted. It's a good resource to see what others are going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Reconstructive Foot Surgery 11 weeks out

Before the doctor allows you to weight bear will he do x rays to be sure everything has healed completely? It is amazing to think that stables would hold the calcaneal osteotomy in place. When you had the cotton osteotomy (big toe lowered) your said that he used plates and screws. My doctor didn't use cadaver bone for mine. Instead he used stem cells from my hip and used one pin to keep it in place. I ended up having the screws removed about 7 months ago. Luckily it was no big deal. I still have the pin in as it has not caused me any problems. It is amazing how the operative techniques vary so from docotor to doctor. I was NWB 8 weeks. Good luck with your recovery

Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I'm 13 weeks out from surgery. I had the heel slide with screws but I'm feeling pretty good. I'm sore but bearable. I had tendon transfer b/c my pt tendon was shot...I can feel some strain in the muscle and tendon that were used for the transfer but that's to be expected...poor muscle didn't have that much to do when it was attached to my toes . I feel it getting stronger everyday though...just trying to be careful not to overdo it. I'm back 100% caring for my farm with my biggest challenge coming from the chickens who constantly reconstruct hills and valleys in their runs.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
(male)

amainc HB Useramainc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
Before the doctor allows you to weight bear will he do x rays to be sure everything has healed completely? It is amazing to think that stables would hold the calcaneal osteotomy in place. When you had the cotton osteotomy (big toe lowered) your said that he used plates and screws. My doctor didn't use cadaver bone for mine. Instead he used stem cells from my hip and used one pin to keep it in place. I ended up having the screws removed about 7 months ago. Luckily it was no big deal. I still have the pin in as it has not caused me any problems. It is amazing how the operative techniques vary so from docotor to doctor. I was NWB 8 weeks. Good luck with your recovery
I've had three sets of x rays since my surgery each time that I've received a new cast. The last set of x rays was four weeks ago when he put me in a walking cast and he was pleased with the healing. I'm not sure about the staples but the surgeon has been using them for a while now and indicated that they achieve the same results but with less discomfort and pain for the patient. He also indicated that he may need to use stem cells depending how well the cadaver bone fit during surgery but he told me he would pull from my knee as opposed to my hip. Once again he told me that based on patients response that he found this to be less painful? Fortunately I did not need that so I can't comment any further on that. I still find it interesting seeing all of the different techniques surgeons use.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I can't speak for everyone, but I barely noticed the site where they removed marrow from my hip.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

It was slightly sore but no big deal

Closed Thread